Stupid Gym Mistakes You've Seen?

Royz

I gotta admit I liked the eye candy in the commercial gyms - I also liked, well..................................................................... nothing else really.

Lol. Not much eye candy going on at my gym. At least not at the hours that I'm there.

Also gyms in Holland generally seem to be even worse than American gyms. For instance, there are practically no gyms that have dumbbells heavier than 40kg(90lbs) in Holland.

what??? You mean to tell me there's not a bunch of hotties wearing wooden shoes in your gym? Don't hold out on us bro lol

Yeah well I'm always there late at night , at that time all the hotties in wooden shoes have gone home to their windmills and tulip fields.

• Like 5

Out of habit I keep half an eye on the benches if I'm training near them and see a noob training on their own. What price to ask for a spot?

I have failed bench presses before at a commercial gym. I rolled it off myself.

I was doing strict presses with nothing behind me but a mirror. I had a women walk under the barbell mid-rep.

Despite the strangeness, bad form, and "safety rules", the topics of discussion were always worst part. Thank the creator for Ipods!

Seen a guy using flowery gardening gloves with mud on for bicep curls and light dumbbell bench press

That is funny. Aren't you in Europe? I don't remember lifting in a gym in Europe.
  • Like 1

Seen a guy using flowery gardening gloves with mud on for bicep curls and light dumbbell bench press

That is funny. Aren't you in Europe? I don't remember lifting in a gym in Europe.

Yup, Europe, UK. We don't all lift with gardening gloves before anyone asks haha.

I was not physically present at the gym for that one, but this accident involved someone I knew. Dude was 6'5 and performing band squats on a monolift. The mono is not bolted down. He should have anchored the mono placing heavy dumbbells on it, but he didn't and the mono flipped.

Best one I saw was Incline (~45 degrees) press BEHIND the neck!

I was at the gym doing some grip work between sets, some guy walks up and starts giving me advice on exercises to increase my hand strength, I kinda chuckled and told him I was ok with my current workout. I should keep my blob 50 and Elite gripper in the truck for those special occasions.

• Like 4

I was at the gym doing some grip work between sets, some guy walks up and starts giving me advice on exercises to increase my hand strength, I kinda chuckled and told him I was ok with my current workout. I should keep my blob 50 and Elite gripper in the truck for those special occasions.

Lemme guess, wrist curls w/ 10# db and those little padded wrist rollers with like 5# on a string... And don't forget the squeezing a tennis ball for extreme grip strength?

• Like 1

Sounds like it could've been me lol. I get a kick whenever I see someone at the gym do pinch lifts or gripper work. I often feel intrigued to go up and talk to them. As a result of just talking grip, it's hard not to give out advice even though the person might not always need it lol, I just can't help myself.

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

the commercial gyms.. Other than lots of fake tits and real assholes, i dont notice much

That is a great phrase, the "fake" and "real" words. Wish I could have thought of that line before. Good job.

Edited by Hubgeezer

the commercial gyms.. Other than lots of fake tits and real assholes, i dont notice much

That is a great phrase, the "fake" and "real" words. Wish I could have thought of that line before. Good job.

How about "real tits" and "fake assholes" - nah, doesn't have the same ring:).

Lemme guess, wrist curls w/ 10# db and those little padded wrist rollers with like 5# on a string... And don't forget the squeezing a tennis ball for extreme grip strength?

Haha! almost his exact words.

Sounds like it could've been me lol. I get a kick whenever I see someone at the gym do pinch lifts or gripper work. I often feel intrigued to go up and talk to them. As a result of just talking grip, it's hard not to give out advice even though the person might not always need it lol, I just can't help myself.

I know what you mean, I get a lot of questions while doing grip stuff and enjoy them, most people will try the exercises and do the workout with me.

Gym necessities bro: tanning oil and eyepiece, sissy gloves, the latest synthetic prohormone, bigass mirrors, camera for selfies, and Tap Out apparel so people think you're some sort of fighter... Bro

I hate commercial gyms.. Military gyms aren't great either!

Ahahahahahahaha yeah!

Then people stare at you if you're like me and wear an old T-shirt, and jogging pants with paint on them from when I painted the house.

Im not there to be a model or to walk on a catwalk :)

Gym necessities bro: tanning oil and eyepiece, sissy gloves, the latest synthetic prohormone, bigass mirrors, camera for selfies, and Tap Out apparel so people think you're some sort of fighter... Bro

Ahahahahahahaha yeah!

Then people stare at you if you're like me and wear an old T-shirt, and jogging pants with paint on them from when I painted the house.

Lol. I've gone out in my garage more than once in underwear and flip flops because I forgot to hit an exercise earlier in the day.

• Like 2

Ahahahahahahaha yeah!

Lol. I've gone out in my garage more than once in underwear and flip flops because I forgot to hit an exercise earlier in the day.
If you don't post your workout on Instagram/Facebook, have you even worked out? #ModernPhilosophy Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Last year two students here were doing what they dubbed "rack-walks" in the gym. Apparently this entails loading a bar up on one of the platforms and walking it to another platform while it's on your back in the high-bar squat position. Student #2 loads the bar up with 405 and starts walking. As soon as he steps off of the first platform, he completely collapses with the 405lb bar coming down on his upper back. I have no clue how he wasn't injured.

Neither student has been seen doing "rack-walks" since.

• Like 1

Last year two students here were doing what they dubbed "rack-walks" in the gym. Apparently this entails loading a bar up on one of the platforms and walking it to another platform while it's on your back in the high-bar squat position. Student #2 loads the bar up with 405 and starts walking. As soon as he steps off of the first platform, he completely collapses with the 405lb bar coming down on his upper back. I have no clue how he wasn't injured.

I guess they thought it was a good idea at the time.

I guess they thought it was a good idea at the time.

Maybe they wanted to do a yoke walk, but didn't have a yoke? Why not just walk it out in the rack? Either way, there is a direct and linear correlation between the height of common sense and the height of your helpless body senselessly crushed to death by a barbell.

Sometimes things seem like a lot better idea in your head than in the real world. :)

• Like 1

I LOLed at this for like 15 minutes, seriously

At the Just Fitness on Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs, GA, I saw a guy deadlift about 300 pounds using an EZ curl bar. Not wanting to jump to conclusions, I considered the possibility that he used that bar because the Olympic barbells were all in use. But as I walked closer, I saw that that was not the case--multiple 7' Olympic barbells were within a few yards of where he lifted. The bars were unloaded and not in use.

Edited by The Natural

Taking supplements of any kind that destroy your mind and body for the admiration of others and a plastic trophy. I often wonder how all these ex pro bodybuilders and super strong powerlifters (that are still alive) feel about themselves when they look in the mirror and see a shell of what once was...

• Like 2

I remember a very skiny guy doing heavy barbell shrugs ( between 180 and 220 kg ). He couldn't lift his shoulders at all. It was really a howl body movement. He was shaking all over. :)