495x4 Deadlift

king crusher

Hey all. So today I pulled a fast single with 545 and was thinking about going for a pr 575 but my iPod died and I had no chalk!! I'd hate to lose a pr due to grip.

So I went to equal a pr with 495x5. I wouldn't feel too bad missing it. Well I got 4 and it went up fast but at the lo my left hand slipped some so I didn't even go for 5.

My gym doesn't allow chalk lol. I bring a lil sometimes anyway and clean up.

• Like 6

Needed more under-breath swearing on that 4th rep buddy! Haha!

Nice reps!

A Gripboard member losing his grip on a deadlift? Shame!

But very nice set!

I've abandoned a couple of planned pulls myself when I got stuck without chalk.

• Like 1

Thanks guys haha. I may have been able to re grip at bottom for a fifth but when you injure yourself is when you're getting tired and if your grip does slip and u try to save it you tweek your stuff up haha. Five would have been mine with chalk.

• Like 1

Good pulling. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, how about using straps on the all out sets? I have used straps in my deadlift training for years and have never once missed a lift due to grip issues on the platform. Just a suggestion.

Thanks guys. I usually bring in a very small container of chalk. And just use for my top set or two. I use the spray bottle to clean it up. They have not gotten on me yet.

Hey man, great set! That is beastly strong pulling. Have you ever tried liquid chalk? I've used it and it's pretty damn good. Of course I'm not pulling anywhere close to 500 or 575 lol

Good lifting but you're blocking my view of the smith machine.

Strong reps! That's pretty lame about the chalk. I've had my own gym for about 8 years now but was in several gyms before that that didn't like, discouraged or forbade chalk. I always had some type of chalk with me and always used it on the heaviest sets. I just never made a mess and no one ever gave me a problem about it.

I was even using stickum in one really goofy gym ... They allowed it sprayed on the shoes. While I was "spraying" my shoes, most of it ended up on my hands. Lol

Thanks guys. Yeah I will have a video one of these days not too far away of 5 with chalk. Possibly even 6 depending on how I'm feeling that day

Thanks guys. Yeah I've thought about straps for top sets but I just want to keep it without if possible. I do bring chalk in and use on only 1-2 sets in moderation.

Very strong deadlifting dude. I had surgery on my ankle a year ago and I'm trying hard to bring back my deadlifts and squats since walking hurt before surgery. I jealous and hope to get up to your level on deadlifts.

Thanks chez. Been at it for a long time. I feel working construction and demo as a late teen to early 20s gave me a good base to build on. Experiment with foot placement for your feet. It might help some.

Thanks chez. Been at it for a long time. I feel working construction and demo as a late teen to early 20s gave me a good base to build on. Experiment with foot placement for your feet. It might help some.

Hey Crusher, just curious how does your back feel overall, like when you're not lifting? Any pain/injuries? I always want to hear from dudes that are pulling beastly weights. Anything in particular you do to keep your back healthy if it is indeed pain free?

Feels good right now. The few days following heavy deadlifting it's sore though. But not in a painful way just in a sore can't move it around fast type of way lol

It's fine day to day. Deadlifting keeps your back strong therefor your spine is protected by strong back muscles, the erectors run on either side of the spine.

I did probably herniate a disc about 2.5 years ago from overdoing it on dl and squats every week for a few mo and I never used a belt, even on my best pr of 565. Finally on light set of squats once it gave out. I could not walk for three days. Horrible. I had sciatic pain for a year on and off.

I bought an inzer lever belt after that for top sets. I still like the feel of belt less though. But use my belt on top sets.

I also just bought an inversion table for general back health and can't wait to try it out.

Feels good right now. The few days following heavy deadlifting it's sore though. But not in a painful way just in a sore can't move it around fast type of way lol

It's fine day to day. Deadlifting keeps your back strong therefor your spine is protected by strong back muscles, the erectors run on either side of the spine.

I did probably herniate a disc about 2.5 years ago from overdoing it on dl and squats every week for a few mo and I never used a belt, even on my best pr of 565. Finally on light set of squats once it gave out. I could not walk for three days. Horrible. I had sciatic pain for a year on and off.

I bought an inzer lever belt after that for top sets. I still like the feel of belt less though. But use my belt on top sets.

I also just bought an inversion table for general back health and can't wait to try it out.

Very good man, thanks for the response. I have an inversion table as well and it is great. You won't regret spending that money.