Tried Something New Today During Bench. 315x1x10

king crusher

I consider my set up to be nearly perfect on bench and I have it down to a point. Every single is set up exactly the same like a mirror image. I wanted to see if I could get 10 singles with 315 perfect form. I did it and am very happy about it. I rested about 2min each attempt. I actually could have kept going. Next week I am going to go for five sets of 315x2. See how that compares.

Anyone ever do lots of singles like this? I feel its a good compliment to going for a max or something each week and burning out.

Nice! I've done similar with deadlifts ... Not speed pulls but something along the same lines. When my max was around 465, I was doing singles at 440 -- 6-8 sets. Did this for a few weeks and came back soon after and hit 2 PRs.

• Like 1

Deads is actually where I got the idea. The best I've done on deads was 515x1x10. My 1 rep max then was 565. So pretty high % of max for 10 singles. I'd put my bench max at about 340ish right now. But I haven't tried a max in some time.

I did it for a while and progressed well. The programming I followed was Ditillo's heavy routine and as soon as I'd hit ten good singles I'd add 5# the next week. Minimum would be 3-4 reps. There was a couple 5 rep sets at 75% prior and 1-2 rep outs at 65% after the singles.

I actually did something similar to this today. 305 3-5 seconds down 1 second up, 3x3. I'm a little sore. I've found the key is to change things up often so you can get one more rep or add a few lbs every week.

I actually did something similar to this today. 305 3-5 seconds down 1 second up, 3x3. I'm a little sore. I've found the key is to change things up often so you can get one more rep or add a few lbs every week.

yeah slow negatives are awesome for shocking your system. At the end of most every bench session I'll usually do 225 than 135 with my feet in the air and pause on chest 1 solid second. I'll just rep as many as possible. But sometimes I'll do the slow neg and pause. Of course not getting as many reps

Yesterday I didn't hit chest hard, just wasnt feeling it. I focused on squats. So Friday I'll hit my chest hard. Probably do Dumbbells starting at 140 and working down to 70s. I'll have all weekend to recover.

Edited by EJ Livesey

On my heavy days i always do 10 x 3 on everything .

so is that ten sets of triples? I do like triples.

On my heavy days i always do 10 x 3 on everything .

so is that ten sets of triples? I do like triples.

Yes i usually do a light day with 6x6 and an heavy day with 10x3 or 8x3.

• 1 month later...

I consider my set up to be nearly perfect on bench and I have it down to a point. Every single is set up exactly the same like a mirror image. I wanted to see if I could get 10 singles with 315 perfect form. I did it and am very happy about it. I rested about 2min each attempt. I actually could have kept going. Next week I am going to go for five sets of 315x2. See how that compares.

Anyone ever do lots of singles like this? I feel its a good compliment to going for a max or something each week and burning out.

I used to train bench using singles only. Even my warm ups were singles. I did some heavy benches in my day (all raw) and never got sore- due to singles. I would usually do some sort of % singles. For example: if my 100% max was 410, Id do the bar x1, 140x1, 230x1, 320x1, 370x1, then Id go back down in the same steps I came up.

Some times I would also do a weight for reps- which were singles kind of like what you said above. Some times I'd put 320 on, (after warming up using singles) and do a rep, wait a couple minutes, do another, etc- until I felt my form begin to change due to fatigue, and I'd stop for that day.

My best gains with bench were when I would do it once every 6-7 days.

Edited by Allan435
  • Like 1