Pull-up Challenge

EricMilfeld

is it also possible to put a percentage of body weight next to the total? if a 300# man maxes out at 300# total that would be 100%. if a 200# man does 300# that would be 150%.

I'm in. Probably be tough to get to the 300 club but I love a challenge. Right now I weigh in at 155lbs. Max I've done is body weight +80lbs for a pullup and just recently +100lbs for a chin up. Will hopefully be submitting my 250lb pullup submission soon.

My bw is 291lbs. Now I ask: If I pull one chin up + 9lbs extraweight then I get in 300lbs club??

My bw is 291lbs. Now I ask: If I pull one chin up + 9lbs extraweight then I get in 300lbs club??

Yes.

Where I would have to pull 155 BW plus 145 hanging on me.

Perhaps not only a total weight club, but a percentage of bodyweight added club as well. Just to make it fun for both the lighter guys and the bigger guys.

Lets face it, the bigger guys have it easier on total weight: a reasonably strong 300# pound guy who just performs one single pull-up with his bodyweight (nothing added), is already in one of those "clubs". While the 150# guy would need to hang 100% of BW just to match him! Tough task. I believe it is said amongst BW enthusiasts that a strict chin with 100% of BW added is much tougher than a unweighed one-arm chin.

Since this thread is about pull-up, I remembered that some months ago (or more) I asked Rob Vigeant Jr. for a video and he was kind enough to just record himself in his house on a beam (he said the beam hurt his hand and it limited his ROM as seen on video), he also said he was a "fat" 220# at the time and casually did them both arms. You'll notice lack of wild leg movement and arm movement. I am always keeping a close eye for this in 1-arm pull-up videos because a combination of a knee extension, leg raise, and arm swing, can make for a pretty considerable difference in the 1-arm chin. From the questions I've asked him it seems he would also be a member of the 400# club (perhaps more, but it's all speculation).

Anyways, just thought I'd share.

Also, about that guy Timo Lauttanen: What a Beast! I had seen some of his videos. He is super strong! 1-armer off of a 2" v-bar!! NICE! And he can do a Standing Split!! Awesome party trick! Hehe.

We could also do number of BW pull-ups, but then the light guys will smoke the heavy guys. There might be a weighted average of BW + 1RM that's fair.

I think we should keep the body weight percentage out of the contest. For instance, two people can be equal in upper body size, one just has bigger legs then the other thus weighting more. The person with the heavier legs would have a disadvantage over the person with the smaller legs.

Lets say you are doing pull-ups with 40lbs. To make the pull-up the easiest, one would want to hold the weight high like a weighted vest. Hanging it from just below waist level would be make it harder, hanging it closer to the feet would make it even harder then that. Everyone had different proportions that are either an advantage or a disadvantage.

Pull-ups are hard for most people to do. Doing a 250lb, 300lb, 350lb pull-up, wether it be all ones body weight or with weight added is a good goal to reach.

I'm officially all in on this!

Here's my latest successful attempt:

http://youtu.be/kn0nPHn2hJk

That's BW+88# for a total of 338#.

It was getting dark, so I rushed a higher attempt. I should have used my 98# bell, but screwed around threading smaller bells/weight onto the chain. This was a miss. If I had got the chain on there in time, the scale probably would have read 105/106 or so. Doesn't matter cuz it was a miss.

http://youtu.be/v3JmmSJ-lrA

Not bad for somebody, who if you saw on the street, you probably would guess couldn't do one pull-up :chris:

My goal is hit BW+106#+ in H1, 2013. We'll see how the elbows hold out.

Jedd's turn! :sorcerer:

Okay, here's what I've done: to keep it easy to track and update I've posted the list of "Clubs" in the first post of this thread. And just beneath it you will find a secondary list of how we stack up based on bodyweight. This I calculated by dividing the sum of your body weight and the weight lifted by your body weight.

Also, if any one prefers their real name being used on the list just let me know.

And that's a heck of a pull-up, Martin!

Defintely in for this. Pull Ups will be a big focus next year and this will be a good way to stay on track. Will get a video this week. Without knowing exactly what my baseline will be, I can say with certainty it will be 250+ :)

I read once somewhere that Rich Lupkes did chins at 300 pound with 200 attached, so 500 pounds.

I read once somewhere that Rich Lupkes did chins at 300 pound with 200 attached, so 500 pounds.

Wow! I guess if anyone could it would be him.

Wow! I guess if anyone could it would be him.

I would like to see the ROM for this.

In my years of being a pull-up fanatic (thus searching and watching tons of videos), I have noticed that many folks skip part of the ROM, both at the bottom and at the top. And this is without getting into the topic of body movement which would be a long one.

That guy, ExtremistPullup on Youtube, who has the "Guinnes" world record with his 400+ lb pull-up (roughly 200BW and 200 added), starts from a true deadhang, where elbows are completely extended and shoulders are upwards towards his ears (I think this is called "protracted"? Well, you get the idea, regardless of the correct term). Most people tend to start with elbows slightly flexed and shoulders already tucked downwards.

And on the subject of leg movement: don't fool yourself, if you start with your feet behind you (as if you just did a "leg curl"), but as you move upwards you do a knee extension and a hip flexion movement, you might get your chin over the bar, but there is absolutely no denying that movement helped. It is a whole different animal if you keep your body somewhat straight. As pics speak more than words here are two examples:

ExtremistPullup finishes most of his pull-ups like this: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jJOAYS3522o/0.jpg notice his feet are still behind him.

This other random pic I found in google images, assuming he started with hips extended and feet behind him, notice all the travel the feet would need to make to get to this finish possition: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sNRVa5oku1E/T02K0LxiYRI/AAAAAAAACwI/AKudS_kT6Hc/s1600/P2270004.jpg

This definitely helps add weight.

I guess I just like discussing this crap, excuse me folks :D

The funny bit, is that this movement is my absolutely favourite one, yet I could never truly develop it... I think my max strict 1RM was about 70# added only, but that was nearly baseline strength, I just cannot train this movement with sets of 3 or 5 or anything, everytime I add weight I get incredibly "golfer's elbow" which bothers my everyday life, and I've tried almost all kinds of grip. My conclusion after a lot of experimenting has been.... just do unweighed chins. Sucks to be so fragile, hurts my ego. Though I've heard these things are usually caused by flexibility issues somewhere (shoulders or whatever)... so I am hoping somewhere down the road I fix these issues and can finally train this awesome movement :D

Adam glass made an excellent comment on his blog/youtube vid (don't remember which), about how even deloading a normal pullup with bands and working on the extremes of the ROM is beneficial, even if you're already able to regular pull-ups in quantity.

I had an interesting experience in that for the past 6-8 weeks or so, I have only been doing weighted pull-ups. Either for reps with 22# or grinding them out in the 1-5 range with 57#. I decided to do a few unweighted pull-ups before I added weight to test the 1RM the other day, and I nearly did a muscle-up on my first unweighted pull-up.

I've been trying to figure when I can do regular pullups in my schedule... and its not going so well. I had planned on starting to practice cleans and this would prevent me from doing that (I'd have to do one or the other).

BUT, I have been doing pullups on sundays, but with eagle loops, with the focus on gaining finger strength... Anyways, obviously this will only make things harder for me, but I'm just gonna train pullups using these... and since I'm starting off using pretty light weight so as to avoid any finger injuries, it might be a little while before I submit anything. But that's the only way I can figure to fit this into my training. When I submit something I'll do it on a regular pullup bar though. Figure I'll be stronger for it in the long run.

December is fat boy season for me. It will be interesting to see if the weight increase on my pullups comes from body weight or added weight.

• Like 1

December is fat boy season for me. It will be interesting to see if the weight increase on my pullups comes from body weight or added weight.

Lol. But either way you're getting stronger.

Info from the net:

Former WSM Jon Paul Sigmarssson did 25 consecutive pull-ups at 300 lbs

bodyweight.

Former bodybuilding great, Marvin Eder did 80 consecutive chins at 190 lbs.

Former WSM competitor and bodybuilder, Mike Dayton did 85 pull-ups at 198 lbs.

The most pull-ups ever done is 370 reps, by Lee Chin-Yong of Hong Kong at age 62

in 1988. Lee Chin-Yong was 5'3" tall and 130 lbs.

Info from the net:

Former WSM Jon Paul Sigmarssson did 25 consecutive pull-ups at 300 lbs

bodyweight.

Former bodybuilding great, Marvin Eder did 80 consecutive chins at 190 lbs.

Former WSM competitor and bodybuilder, Mike Dayton did 85 pull-ups at 198 lbs.

The most pull-ups ever done is 370 reps, by Lee Chin-Yong of Hong Kong at age 62

in 1988. Lee Chin-Yong was 5'3" tall and 130 lbs.

With all due respect Florian, these numbers mean nothing unless we see video, and are truly misleading.

I have seen a video of guy going over 200+ reps, but it took him about 35 minutes... the technique used (which I've seen another guy use to reach 100), is to get in a set (first set of consecutive reps was 20-25, surprisingly enough), then one-arm hang for a few seconds with one arm, while relaxing the other arm... then switch arms and relax there.... often times they would do it twice per arm, before cranking out another 3-5 reps, and repeating the process. It was very boring to watch. It was indeed a phenomenal feat of grip endurance, and overall endurance. BUT, even in the video of the guy doing 200+ reps, he didn't seem to have 40 full ROM reps in him, if done consecutively (in my opinion of course).

Recently I saw a guy in Youtube get 50 reps, they were not "consecutive" because hey paused for many seconds in between the later reps, BUT, he did not use the 1-arm hang technique to rest half of his body at a time.... he kept both hands on the bar and just rested in the deadhang (which is rest, but not full rest).

Arturo, we unfortunately won't see videos of Marvin Eder or Jon Pall doing those feats. But I do believe those feats.

Great pullup strength there:

I agree that these feats don't mean much considering the lack of video evidence.

I would be extremly surprised if I find that these pull ups were done in even semi-strict form, or didn't involve kipping, etc.

We have only had a few posts from people who are putting up the numbers that they are doing and a bunch more posts of what can be found on the internet. I am interested in continuing with this thread if we are doing this as a challenge among members. If this turns into a thread of this guy can do this, i'm out.

• Like 2

I'm fine with people sharing vids of friends, clients, etc. doing strict pull-ups with weight. But Florian, I would much rather see a vid of you doing pull-ups than that guy doing muscles ups. Chad Woodall speaks very highly of your strength on the Grip Strength Radio.

Regarding hanging from one arm to rest/re-position - I'm not sure that it is humanly possible to hit higher numbers without a hanging rest.

More "off topic" :whistel I

I cant hold myself because Finnish Viking is so marvelous! :laugh

• Like 1