Met-rx Odd Haugen Strength Classic

Kashtan

Mike, Really fine hub lift! Thanks for respesenting the master's age lifters in such a strong way!

Attempting a #4 Cert in the middle of a grip comp? Thought that sort of foolishness faded out several years back.

seems Burke was there to accomplish big things. a 55# jump for the WR on the axle illustrates that. i think he may have certified on the 3.5 during a grip event in the past. dude is confident in his strength and seems like he is gonna Go Big or Go Home.

Mike, Really fine hub lift! Thanks for respesenting the master's age lifters in such a strong way!

Thanks Richard. You know how it goes. You try long enough, and eventually you can get it right!

By the way, I doubt if Burke and Alex ever even touched that device and they pulled 64. Makes you wonder what is possible on it.

He got an actually 4 cert attempt? Or he attempted the 4 ccs out of package?

It was the last event, and in between the 4th and last event, while attempting an impromptu Number 4 Certification, something in one of Burke's fingers (a tendon?) seemed to pop.

How close did he get. Just curious. I know he wasn't fresh.

Yeah, I also wonder what he wrote in his certification request application?

ou know what happened at the LA FitExpo, so get ready for the next chapter as strongman, grip strength and Mas wrestling are all on the card again when the MET-Rx Odd Haugen Strength Classic heads to Northern California FitExpo this summer.

Strongman, grip strength and Mas wrestling are on the card when the Odd Haugen Strength Classic comes to Northern California this summer. IronMind® | Image courtesy of Odd Haugen.
For strongman, Haugen’s got a new twist: he has events divided into five categories ("buckets"):
• Overhead
• Carry/Grip
• Static Lift
• Classic
• Stones
Within each of these categories, he has five events, so, 

for example, the Overhead bucket has these events:
• 308-lb. Log Lift, reps
• 308-lb. Viking Press, reps
• 308-lb. Axle, reps
• 181-lb. Giant Dumbbell, reps
• Overhead Medley
Each competitor choses one event per bucket when he enters and each of these selections becomes a ballot and goes into a hat. On the day of the contest, one ballot will drawn for each bucket—determining the event for that category.
This contest is on Saturday, June 29, 2013 and the winner of this contest gets his ASC pro card, so if you’re ready to run with the big dogs in strongman, here’s how you can prove it.
Got a grip? Then the IronMind Record Breaker, on Sunday June 30, 2013, is for you. Here are the five events and you can enter any or all of them:
Double Overhand Deadlift on IronMind Apollon’s Axle
IronMind Rolling Thunder
IronMind Hub
Captains of Crush Silver Bullet Hold
IronMind Little Big Horn Anvil Lift
You know what Mike Burke did at Odd Haugen’s last grip contest—are those records about to become history?
Quick: What’s Mas wrestling? You know, the sport from Northern Russia where two athletes sit facing each other, with their feet braced against a board; they hold a stick and each tries to pull the other out of position. Competitors and fans alike loved it at the LA FitExpo and Haugen is holding the US Open Mas Wrestling Championships, also on Sunday, so get ready to plant your feet, lock your hands and pull.
Here's a link to the entry forms.

How about when you copy stuff from the IronMind news column you include it in quotes and note the source or just link to the original article?

Yeah, I also wonder what he wrote in his certification request application?

I think his business card has this link on it:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Articles/2013/Jan/Mike_Burke_Crushes_All_Comers_in_LA_FitExpo_Grip_Contest.html

Mike , I see at the bottom of your post entry you are a 59 year crowned Captain of Crush. Did I somehow miss your successful #3 certification? Wow , what year and age did you do that ? I can't seem to find any info. Still, another jewel in the crown!

Did you compete in all events at Odd's contest.? Your numbers? I am glad you still are out there!

Mike , I see at the bottom of your post entry you are a 59 year crowned Captain of Crush. Did I somehow miss your successful #3 certification? Wow , what year and age did you do that ? I can't seem to find any info. Still, another jewel in the crown!

Did you compete in all events at Odd's contest.? Your numbers? I am glad you still are out there!

Richard, when I first joined the Gripboard, and it was a closed forum, I used to joke around more than I do now. That is a running joke that has been going on for about 5 years. Every time it is a new year, I update it. Every time I get a year older, I update that. So I probably started doing that in 2008 at age 54, and keep updating it. Come 1st of the year, I put in the new year. Come May, I put in a new age.

And, since I have been a bit more serious on this forum than I used to be, I hope I can still maintain the "joke" that I have on that.

So no, I am NOT a Captain of Crush. The closest I ever came was at the 2008 AOBS event, where I was an immeasurably tiny ways off. Missed in 2009 (you were witness), missed again in 2010 (Pat P was witness). Have not tried since. Next time, it will be when I feel 105% ready. As to my numbers at the Haugen thing, I put them in my "Workout" section, as I try not to clutter things up in a good thread like this with my rinky dink stuff.

Still not got clarification. Was his 4 attempt official?

Still not got clarification. Was his 4 attempt official?

Paul -

Beats the @#%! out of me because I wasn't even there when this happened, although I did ask MIke B. before how he was doing on the Captains of Crush No. 4 and he said he was close and that maybe in January would be a good time to try to certify on it. When he told me he was close, I asked how close—he said about 1/4" and I said that's not even close (easy for me to say, huh?).

So, later, and after I'd had to leave, I gather that Mike B. knew there was a new CoC No. 4 kicking around so he asked Mike C. to be his witness and that's how this thing got started and now you have your nose bent out of shape about this. Is that right?

My nose is indeed slightly bent out of shape, but where i come from, this comes from a fist, not a gripper attempt.

I would however certainly protest him getting an official attempt when hes not even close to closing a new 4 (if you made a 4.5 i could get it to 1/4 inch an so could steve g for that matter), as this of course, does not go buy the rules. I have no problem with the rules, just as long as every body is treated the same.

Impressive performances in grip contests don't consistute closing a new 4 ccs, an even if it did, it's not like hes miles ahead of the rest even in the big hand events. Just thinking of brits alone, chris james has pulled more on the axle with sub 8 inch hands, laine snook has done 137kg rolling thunder for 10 reps, i've done more than his silver bullet with my left hand, nevermind my right, steve did 10 reps on a mellenium dumbbell once (harder than even 50 reps on an inch), an we both pulled 95kg in plates on little big horn back in 2009 (steve probably more, i just tried it for him). Lets not forget holle either, reportably ccsing old 4's a number of years back. If anybody has cosistently closed new 4 ccs it would be him.

My nose is indeed slightly bent out of shape, but where i come from, this comes from a fist, not a gripper attempt.

I would however certainly protest him getting an official attempt when hes not even close to closing a new 4 (if you made a 4.5 i could get it to 1/4 inch an so could steve g for that matter), as this of course, does not go buy the rules. I have no problem with the rules, just as long as every body is treated the same.

Impressive performances in grip contests don't consistute closing a new 4 ccs, an even if it did, it's not like hes miles ahead of the rest even in the big hand events. Just thinking of brits alone, chris james has pulled more on the axle with sub 8 inch hands, laine snook has done 137kg rolling thunder for 10 reps, i've done more than his silver bullet with my left hand, nevermind my right, steve did 10 reps on a mellenium dumbbell once (harder than even 50 reps on an inch), an we both pulled 95kg in plates on little big horn back in 2009 (steve probably more, i just tried it for him). Lets not forget holle either, reportably ccsing old 4's a number of years back. If anybody has cosistently closed new 4 ccs it would be him.

wow, there are certainly some very strong brit hands. you are all very respected by us. i am not fully aware of your history. were you denied an official #4 cert attempt?

i've done more than his silver bullet with my left hand, nevermind my right, steve did 10 reps on a mellenium dumbbell once

These two facts are very interesting, they are unknown to me:
1. how many seconds are hold Silver Bullet?
2. Which Steve pulled 10 times Millennium? Gardener? When? As far as I know, it was a world record in the deadlift Millennium owns Laine Snook and is 7 repeats.

Mike, I witnessed your crush on that 2009 cert attempt and you really had your mind right and gave it 110% effort. I thought perhaps you went on and certified and I had missed it somehow. Well , anyway your hub lifting is becoming legendary and your heart always seems to be in the right place, good for promoting grip in a quality way. Thanks!

Paul -

Sounds like it's too bad you weren't there because then you could also have asked Mike C. to be your witness or whatever Mike B. had asked that got this started—maybe that's a bad joke, but I think it's kind of funny that the first I heard of any of this was a couple of hours ago.

Seriously, though, maybe you can break Mike's world records at an upcoming contest and certify on the CoC No. 4, too—that would for sure leapfrog you over his performance in Los Angeles earlier this year. A perfect place for that would be the LA FitExpo in January and we'd love to have you there.

So, instead of getting hot under the collar and thumping your chest while belittling Mike, why not put your energy into training or something else more productive—how many posts have you put up and inspired here because you requested a certification attempt (in the future) when you said you could not yet close the gripper?

Is this really so hard to understand: I can't really speak for something that took place without my knowledge and when you are ready, we will all be ecstatic about your success in closing the Captains of Crush No. 4 gripper, but to sit here and try to create a tempest in a teapot is a waste of everyone's time and energy.

Let me be blunt. Your nose is bent out of shape. You have a chip on your shoulder.

Strossen had eye surgery on Tuesday. A detached retina. He may not get all of his vision back, because it happened overseas, and he did not get it handled immediately. He did not attend the Strongman contest on Saturday, and was staying at a hotel after the surgery because his home town is 3000 feet above sea level, which is a problem for the recovering eye. He arrived late on Sunday. His head was down, and a ball cap was pulled down to his nose. He was practically led around by his wife. He shouldn't have been there in my opinion. He left early. He told me to serve as a witness to a young man for a "Crushed to Dust" certification. The young man attempted after Randy had left. He failed.

Mike Burke asked me to "certify" him on the Number 4. There had been a 4 that Randy left there in an unopened package. Had he gotten it (and he injured himself on the attempt), would it have counted? I doubt it. Did we waste a gripper on it ? Probably. Was it an "official attempt"? Probably not.

I have been present at events where Randy has let someone take a shot at a certification, without the advance paperwork. Mike Burke's 3.5 Cert in LA is a good example of that. I didn't know about the "1/4 inch" conversation, and had I known, I would have said "no". And, without a previous conversation with RJS, it probably would NOT have counted.

You have had a long thread with people cheering for you. Good for you. I have the same thing in my "Workout Section", and have had it for years. My fan club is a tiny fraction of what yours is. But I don't make my private business or goals an issue to build a case that "I have been wronged", or something is not fair, or my fists are ready for a fight.

People complain to me on a regular basis how RJS doesn't show tact when he says things, alienates people, etc., etc. This is one where I am not going to say "ah, I understand how you feel", or "gee, I see your point". Nope. And, I see that RJS has posted something right above this post that is "more tactful" than what I am saying here. But my goodness, if this forum is going to be a cheerleading squad for guys in the Cool Kids Club only, then it is a sad day. No sport is one big happy family. I hope this thread does not get edited or shut down, as there are lessons to learn for all of us here...

And, kudos for RJS for not complaining about what I did or did not do, as he did not know what transpired, until after this came up on this thread...

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 1

The article Ironmind maybe inaccuracy...

Alexei told me that he won the axle.

Burke took start weight and immediately ordered it failed to record weight.

And Alex took all the approaches that in turn announces.

Edited by Kashtan

Someone please post an updated results list. Who actually did what?

The article Ironmind maybe inaccuracy...
Alexei told me that he won the axle.
Burke took start weight and immediately ordered it failed to record weight.
And Alex took all the approaches that in turn announces.

Three guys got 210 kg. Haugen and Alexey failed at 220. Burke passed. Burke failed at 235. Three guys tied for 210.

I think the IronMind News got it right.

Edited by Hubgeezer

kashtan - 1 minutes 6 second, and yes (mobster), back in 2009 i think. He did 10 full deadlifts in a couple minutes, probably the most impressive lifting i have ever seen or very close. Steve doesn't get credit he deserves overseas, everybody thinks only of David Horne but Steve has won a lot of contests and done a lot of tough feats also.

I'm really not bent out of shape, i was actually joking a bit there. I wanted clarification mainly because people have said 4 times that a 4 cert attempt has happened and it's not been the case. Also i make things public because people ask for it, it's much easier to train without having to get videos done etc

As for LA, i would love to go LA! two big problems though, one, i don't have money to pay for the plane ride, never mind hotel etc and i wouldn't go without the other half, other problem is we have to book all time off for work the previous year so i couldn't get time off anyway. I decided since i couldn't do 4 cert i would do worlds strongest hands contest august 3rd then i have time off before grip training again (lot of pain in arm and palms now).