Training For West Australian Championship

Mikael Siversson

Most people seem to have a 2 HP that exceeds the combined total of their L&R single hand lifts - sometimes much higher than that total. Do you have any thoughts as to why your single hand lifts are so much better than your Two Hand Pinch comparatively?

I thought it was because of my previously rather weak wrists so I trained them hard for a couple of years. All it did was to make my 1HP even stronger. It is very strange indeed.

Mikael, you may very well possess the world's strongest 1HP on the Euro PFP, astonishing strength!

Thanks Bob,

My pinch has started to climb again, most likely a result of having reached my goal body weight (very hard to gain when you are losing weight) and finally incorporating stretching of my forearms and thumbs (never done that before), which is really helping recovery. Sadly my gripper strength is going nowhere.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

Ok, that sounds great! I just signed up for a Rolling Thunder contest. So now I have a good reason to bring up my thick bar strength. maxstyrka.se/2013/08/anmal-er-till-max-grip-challenge-2013/

No, training is going so well at the moment, pinch in particular, so I am not going to risk it by adding more thickbar lifting with only a few months left to the competition. I want the 2HP WR in the 74k class badly. I will start using the handle after the competition.

Have you used the "Arne handle" since you got back from Sweden? I tried it again after one of my last RT sessions and got 28 reps lefty and 30 reps right with 45 kg. Arne did 20 reps with both left and right hand with 40 kg.

Edited by Martin_Arildsson

Thursday 29 August

BW 72.7k

Grippers 20 mm block single attempts

Right hand
140 (IM3) - 1, 1, 1, 1

143 (IM3) - 1

Stronger than last week

Left hand
123 (IM2.5) - 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 - no strength at all with my left

Wrist supination/pronation of the floor with Heavy Hammer II

Right 3.75k - 10, 7, 7 - PR
Left 3.25k - 8,8, 7 - up slightly from last week

Sunday 1 Sep 2013

BW 73.1k

2HP

76k x 1
78k x 1
80k x 1
82k x 1
84k x 1
86k x 0
86k x 1
86.5k x 0
86.5k x 1
87k x 0

87k x 0

Down 2k from last week but a bit hard to evaluate as I did loads of gardening work the day before. Good to have something to blame. Weather conditions were not quite as good as last week.

Had a look in my training log books (trying to make myself feel better about the workout).

A year ago I did the following results in the 2HP.

12 Aug 2012 90k at 84.6k bw

19 Aug 2012 83k at 82.9k bw

26 Aug 2012 85.5k at 83.0k bw

2 Sep 2012 88k at 83.8k bw

Average is 86.6k at 83.6k bw

This year I have done:

11 Aug 2013 85.5k at 72.7k bw

18 Aug 2013 88k at 73.1k bw

25 Aug 2013 88.5k at 73.0k bw

1 Sep 2013 86.5k at 73.1k bw

Average is 87.1k at 73.0k bw

Now I feel better.

Axle

125k x 1
127.5k x 0 pulled it all the way but could not quite lock my shoulders

Worst axle workout ever, again probably related to yesterdays activities (holding on to straws here).

Wrist Developer Orange Spring

L1 x 3
L2 x 3
L3 x 3
L4 x 3

L5 x 3

L6 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
L8 x 1, 1, 1

L10 x 1 (heavy)

L11 x 0 (very narrow miss)

Hurt my left elbow on the last attempt. Did not feel at my peak in this either. Very off overall as I was yawning throughout the workout.

RT pull ups 8, 8, 6 - surprising PR but then again this is not limited by my grip.

Sit ups 3 sets

Yes, nothing at all to feel bad about. The numbers don't lie. At least not that much. :)

Just curious, are you still having a weekly diet cheat day?

Yes I do have a diet cheat day once a week but, naturally, I eat more during the week than I did before (maybe 20% more calories).

Tuesday 3 Sep

BW 73.6k

Grippers TNS

R 115# 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 - up from last week and best TNS workout since I started this particular program two months ago

L 110# 3, 3, 4, 3, 3 - as above

1HP 64mm

Maxed out at 44.5 k right and 42.5k left. Marked drop from last week, some of it related to friction.

Radial/ulnar deviation over table with IM's Heavy Hammer II Leverage Bar (starting point with bar held vertical then lowered until horizontal)

Right 4.75k 8, 7, 5 - training PR
Left 4.25k 9, 7, 6 - training PR

Thursday 5 September

BW 72.6k

Grippers 20 mm block single attempts

Right hand
140 (IM3) - 1, 1
143 (IM3) - 1 (very hard)

140 (IM3) - 1, 1

Same as last week

Left hand
123 (IM2.5) - 0, 1, 1, 0, 0 - up from last week

Hard to evaluate my 20mm block sessions as they all occur (in an overtrained state) shortly after my TNS workout. I expect to be quite a bit stronger on competition day with five rather than two days rest from the TNS workout.

Dynamic thumb training

PR's both hands

Right 3.75k - 10, 8, 7 - PR
Left 3.25k - 9, 8, 7 - up slightly from last week and equal my PR

Sunday 8 Sep 2013

BW 73.1k

2HP

76k x 1
78k x 1
80k x 1
82k x 1
84k x 1
86k x 0
86k x 1
86.5k x 0, 0, 0

Down slightly from last week (by 0.5k). I am clearly not at peak strength which is not a big deal given that the competition is about two months away.

I have competed twice on the Euro set up. First time was in 2006 (I weighed 85k). My PR in training prior to that competition was 84k. I ended up pulling 88.5k in the competition, up by about 5%. I did not do any special preparation to peak my form.

Second time I competed on the Euro was in 2012 in the 1HP. My average training max over the last four workouts leading up to the competition was 44.5k (45, 44, 44, 45). I pulled a very easy 46.2k in the competition (clearly not max), or 3.8% above my training average. This time I peaked my form but did not have any pressure on me to hit a particular weight. I knew I would beat the class WR with the opener and simply wanted to get all four lifts.

It appears I get 5% or more by peaking my form (essentially replacing all pinching by dynamic thumb work two weeks before the competition) and from the adrenaline rush of performing in front of a crowd (humidity etc are pretty stable in the summer in Perth and so are my pinching numbers during this time of the year). In order to have a good chance of beating Eric's 90.8k WR I think I need to be averaging at least 86-87k in training, which is where I am right now. I usually got a 5% boost in competition back in Sweden as well (LGC competitions) although we did not use a Euro set up.

Axle

125k x 1
128k x 1

130.5k x 1

133k x 0 (pulled it almost all the way)

Well much better than last week at least.

Wrist Developer (Orange Spring)

L1 x 3
L3 x 3
L4 x 3
L5 x 3

L6 x 3

L7 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
L9 x 1, 1, 1

L11 x 0 (very narrow miss)

RT pull ups 8, 8, 6

Sit ups 3 sets

Tuesday 10 Sep

BW 73.1k

Grippers TNS

R 117# 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 - the drop in reps from last week cannot be explained entirely by the fact that I moved up to a slightly harder gripper

L 110# 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 - down from last week

Did I mention that I hate grippers?

1HP 64mm

Maxed out at 45.5 k right and 43k left. Not a fantastic result but up (1.5k in total) from last week.

Right 3.75k - 10, 9, 7 - PR
Left 3.25k - 10, 8, 7 - PR

Had a senior moment and finished with the wrong exercise (supposed to do this on Thursday).

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 22 Sep 2013

BW 72.5k

Lightest body weight thus far (without trying very hard). Now where was that 66k class...

I had a shorter break from the training and I decided to try a different approach; no max single attempts unless in competition. I think maxing out in the pinch every workout is counter productive (I am speculating here of course).

2HP 64mm

37k x 3

44k x 3

51k x 3

58k x 3
65k x 3
72k x 3
76k x 3
80k x 2

1HP 64mm

R 40.5k - 7 singles

L 39k - 7 singles

R 38.5k - 4 reps

L 36.5k - 3 reps

I will increase the singles weights by 0.5k when I can do 5 reps at 95% in the final set. This will ensure that I stay well below my max during the single attempts (essentially technique training with a fairly heavy weight).

I can get more reps at a given percentage of my max in the 2HP than I can in the 1HP, almost certainly as result of having much better technique in the latter when I set up and perform a max lift.

Axle

warm up

121k - 7 singles

115k x 2

Have not had much success with this lift so I will train it once a fortnight, alternating with the WD (which is likewise easy to overtrain with). My axle performance has suffered more than any other lift from the weight loss.

Reverse curls with the Axle

3x12 with 1k (16.3k including collars); starting light.

• 1 month later...

Saturday 26 October 2013

BW 73.3k

Have done daily pinch training over the last week trying to figure out my optimal width. Decided to give 61mm a go.

The numbers in the 2HP were quite low but I suspect (hope) they will be higher next Saturday after I have rested from pinch training (I normally do it once a week). The skin becomes slippery if I train pinch more frequently than once a week.

76k x 1

78k x 1

80k x 1

82k x 1

84k x 1 (stopped here as it was right at my limit)

1 HP @ 61 mm

R maxed out at 44k

L maxed out at 43k

Still much stronger, relatively speaking, in the 1HP. Happy with the 1HP given that this was the first workout at the new narrower width (61mm vs 64mm). My training PR in the 1HP @ 74k is 47k (64 mm width) but that result is not fully comparable as it was set without first doing 2HP lifting.

Have decided to replace IM axle training with a rolling thick bar handle (much harder than IM's RT) as I seem to benefit more (as measured by axle max) from using a RT-type of handle than actually training with an axle.

R 43k x 15

L 43k x 15

Saturday 2 November 2013

BW 73.2k

2HP 61mm width

76k x 1

78k x 1

80k x 1

82k x 1

84k x 1

86k x 1 (stopped here as it was right at my limit) New PR at 61mm

Happy with a 2k gain from last week

1 HP @ 61 mm

R maxed out at 44k

L maxed out at 42k

Total 172k (171k previous week)

Rolling Handle (not RT)

R 43k x 20

L 43k x 20

5 reps better than last week

• 2 weeks later...

I have switched to 61mm from 64mm in the 2HP but I am still sticking to 64mm for the 1HP. My 2HP oscillates around 85k or thereabouts most of the time which would translate to a competition max around 90k (I am on average about 5% stronger in competition). Sadly it does not look like there will be a competition in 2013 as it is just me and my daughters who are interested (neither of them train but they would do it if I gave them some extra shopping money). I will try to run it in February next year assuming I can talk someone else into competing. I am realising that I may have to go elsewhere if I want to compete. The US would be the obvious alternative as my wife is American so we go there and visit relatives.

I am still experimenting with my pinch training but every time I try to train it more than once a week I get overtrained after a week or two. I am far more susceptible to overtraining at a lean 73-74k than I was when I weighed 83k.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have switched to 61mm from 64mm in the 2HP but I am still sticking to 64mm for the 1HP. My 2HP oscillates around 85k or thereabouts most of the time which would translate to a competition max around 90k (I am on average about 5% stronger in competition). Sadly it does not look like there will be a competition in 2013 as it is just me and my daughters who are interested (neither of them train but they would do it if I gave them some extra shopping money). I will try to run it in February next year assuming I can talk someone else into competing. I am realising that I may have to go elsewhere if I want to compete. The US would be the obvious alternative as my wife is American so we go there and visit relatives.

I am still experimenting with my pinch training but every time I try to train it more than once a week I get overtrained after a week or two. I am far more susceptible to overtraining at a lean 73-74k than I was when I weighed 83k.

you do a good deal of dynamic stuff.. swings etc?? usually swings are pretty high impact as far as recovery.. but there are a few other techniques like tapping drills that are low impact but still produce amazing results -- i'm talking high reps lower weight.. usually i'll train a weight i can bounce up and down for 25 reps - 3-5 inches off the ground rapidly.. when i tap i can train pinch almost every day without burning out

• Like 1

No I have not tried that method but I might. At the end of the day what I have been doing has worked extremely well for the 1HP and okayish for the 2HP. After the first two years of rapid progress that just about everyone does progress usually slows right down and you have to fight for every pound of gain.

I am clearly not as strong in the 2HP at 74k as I was at 83k but about the same in the 1HP. This might be a reflection how I set up my lift. In the 1HP, I am speculating, I have founds ways of negating the loss of contact surface (from having skinnier fingers) whereas this has not been the case with the 2HP. As we all know some days (when humidity and temperature are just right) you will have a really great sticky grip and that was certainly the case when I weighed 83k. At 74k this sort of never happens.

My dynamic training consists of closing grippers with a pinch grip (maybe up to 50 reps with a IM guide)

My main concern with frequent low impact training is that the gains might be largely CNS related. In other words you learn to contract more efficiently. Long term high impact but less frequent training might produce better results.

When I prepare for competition I don't do any static pinch lifting for the last two weeks, only dynamic work with grippers. It works extremely well and produces huge gains. If you look at the video of my 46.2k WR in the 1HP (83k class) you will notice that the lift was so easy I decided to put it down slowly and in a very controlled fashion. Leading up to the competition I was doing 44-45k in training. I don't think I would gain anything (from a two week break) if I did daily tap training as a two week break would cause a loss of that fine tuned motor skill. The two week break is, of course, designed to get that baby soft skin.

That's a major bummer, especially since your training has been going so well.