Vbar Vs Ironmind Loading Pin

Aleksandar Milosevic

I was just wondering what's the difference between a 2" Vbar and the Ironmind loading pin? They are both 2", and you can grab both of them same way. I managed to do 70kg easy on the loading pin, after a very hard grip session, and I think I got 90kg in me, especially because I lift to full lockout. Thanks

I was just wondering what's the difference between a 2" Vbar and the Ironmind loading pin? They are both 2", and you can grab both of them same way. I managed to do 70kg easy on the loading pin, after a very hard grip session, and I think I got 90kg in me, especially because I lift to full lockout. Thanks

What Tom said and also it's much heavier, ~23 lb. I don't know how the wt you lift with the IM loading pin correlates to the Vbar, my loading pin is from David Horne.

Bare steel is harder to grip, so it would be harder to lift. But the diameter is the same, so I guess it's good training for the official Vbar. Thanks for the answers guys.

Bare steel is harder to grip, so it would be harder to lift. But the diameter is the same, so I guess it's good training for the official Vbar. Thanks for the answers guys.

this might feel closer to the Vbar and also easier to carry vs the Vbar when you leave the US.

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/JUG.html

Not sure how heavy this one is.

Andrew?

I think I will make some implements myself, including something like you linked here. My budget is spent, I got plenty of stuff:rt, hub, baraban adjustable and no.2 - that will keep me occupied untill the next time I come to the US :)

Bare steel is harder to grip, so it would be harder to lift..

Negative.

The bare steel will season, rust and hold chalk much better than painted/powder coated surfaces.

• Like 4

All of my best pulls have been done on bare steel. I’m now to the point I’ve removed the paint from nearly all the equipment I use in my gym.

All the loading pins I’ve ever used have an OD of 1.9” while a V-bar is 2” (Well 2” +-0.003”). In addition to the bare metal you also have the pick height difference, rotation of the bar during the pull, and how much tilt you try to get when lifting. All of these are little things but I’ve seen it add up for a few guys into some big pulls.

It all comes down to your goals and what you’re training for. If you’re trying to build hands that are stronger in the vertical position and you have the means I suggest copy the Jug. It’s a simple design and I think it has more uses than a V-bar. But if you goal is to compete or work up the V-bar list having the exact implement to practice on will allow you to get every pound you can for the event.

Oh the Jug is hollow I don't have the exact number in front of me but it's maybe a pound or so.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

The loading pin has worse friction and holds chalk worse than the vbar and can hold less weight plates before you don't have room for your hand. I pull 230# on a loading pin and 310#+ on a real vbar.

• Like 4

All the ends of every commercial weightlifting bar is slightly under 2" (1.90 to 1.97) because all Olympic barbell plates have holes in them at two inches (and a bit over) if the bar end was 2" they would not fit.

. The Original ( first owned by Apollon)Appolon Axle was pipe 1.90. The new ones range from 1.9 to 2"" on the shaft depending on manufacturer.

Getting back to the vertical bar unless machined down, 1.90 pipe used or 1 15/16 cold rolled steel ,the plates will not fit on. A loading pin is pipe and measures 1.90. That what I have used for the last 40 years.

• Like 2

Very detailed answer! It's simmilar enough to the Vbar, so I'll continue training the lift. Pretty good carryover to bjj gi chokes :)

• Like 1

I think a schedule40 pipe v bar which measures a around 1.9 and then media blast it to bare metal and let season naturally would be the best from both worlds. We could make em' all day long . Is their an official height or length of bar?

I think a schedule40 pipe v bar which measures a around 1.9 and then media blast it to bare metal and let season naturally would be the best from both worlds. We could make em' all day long . Is their an official height or length of bar?

If you mean official as in terms of what is most widely used at grip comps (NAGS approved), then 24" long is the standard. USAWA uses 18" long. If Sorinex made one out of pipe it would surely sell better than most of the others on the market - due to the much lower weight to ship, and less price of steel. I really like the FBBC 2" vbar, but the shipping cost and price of the steel itself (@ 24lbs) is pretty expensive.

We could make them quite strong and inexpensive in the USA. How does a true a 2" fat bar accommodate plates?

If they are decent not" cast in a sand pile "unless the loading area is turned down to accept plates ( then how would you load it and still have an actual 2.00" +or - .003". If any plate fits a true 2 " bar you better weigh it cause' something is real fishy.

I am going to have some made along with fractional 1/2lb plates. Should bar for v bar best be 18 or 24"

For our comps out here since I have the Eleiko set, I had to fab one up with hard mount swappable top. Rest of the pin is solid 1 15/16 to accommodate the certified plates but I solid mount whatever size Vbar, hub, or otherwise top on it. I believe the Standard overall length is 18" but would have to double check.

- Aaron