Wondering If Anyone Has Experienced This... (Injury)

Kaskelotten

While training for arm wrestling a month ago I tried the plate wrist curl for the first time ever. I would do them 2 times a week, with two 2.5 lbs plates. First time went fine, but the days after the second session I started developing muscle spasms / twitches in one of my big thumb muscles. I didn't think of it and just trained through it for some weeks with a lot of pinch gripping and Fat Gripz. Bad idea...

Fast forward 1½ month and I still have them everyday. They seemed to come at random times first, but now they come everytime I press hard on something with my thumb. My doctor said it is normal, and that it's nothing serious, but I'm pretty sure it's from overtraining and I don't want to have this for the rest of my life.

I haven't trained for some weeks now, but I still have it. Will it go away by itself, or can I start training anytime soon you think? Has anyone ever tried having this?

Every time that I have had recurring muscle spasms, it was resolved by re-setting the nerves.

Sometimes this meant multiple times a day for weeks, sometimes almost immeadiate success.

Myotherapy (or A.R.T., or Trigger Point Therapy, all similar) is what I used.

An old but excellent book is Myotherapy - Bonnie Prudden's Complete Guide to Pain Free Living.

Sean

Every time that I have had recurring muscle spasms, it was resolved by re-setting the nerves.

Sometimes this meant multiple times a day for weeks, sometimes almost immeadiate success.

Myotherapy (or A.R.T., or Trigger Point Therapy, all similar) is what I used.

An old but excellent book is Myotherapy - Bonnie Prudden's Complete Guide to Pain Free Living.

Sean

Quick response, thanks man! Will definitely be buying that book next time I order online, it's basically free on amazon.

Where did you have your muscle spasms?

Will be trying trigger point therapy. If it does not go away, do you think I can still train, or would it make it worse? Do you know if muscle cramps are from overtraining?

Edited by Kaskelotten

I am basically an abused old bag of injuries held together by scar tissue at this point, so lots of areas,

but the worst spasms were in my lower back and right lower arm and hand.

Do you know if muscle cramps from overtraining?

There is a difference in my mind between muscle cramps and muscle spasms.

I have no idea which you have or what caused them.

Cramps for me are a muscle that locks up and will not let go.

Spasms are when a muscle repeatedly and/or randomly fires.

These are my definitions and are probably not clinically accurate.

I have found that the trigger point that works is not always the one closest to the problem area.

I can usually tell if I have found the right spot once I hit it.

Seven seconds or longer have seemed best for me.

Good Luck

I am basically an abused old bag of injuries held together by scar tissue at this point, so lots of areas,

but the worst spasms were in my lower back and right lower arm and hand.

Do you know if muscle cramps from overtraining?

There is a difference in my mind between muscle cramps and muscle spasms.

I have no idea which you have or what caused them.

Cramps for me are a muscle that locks up and will not let go.

Spasms are when a muscle repeatedly and/or randomly fires.

These are my definitions and are probably not clinically accurate.

I have found that the trigger point that works is not always the one closest to the problem area.

I can usually tell if I have found the right spot once I hit it.

Seven seconds or longer have seemed best for me.

Good Luck

Well, it does both things for me. My doctor called them cramps, I call them twitches... what happens is my thenar muscle fires automatically, and sorts of locks itself and my thumb into place for some seconds.

Ive had it happen, take a regular easy week to ten days, itll clear up.

Glad to hear someone else had this. I haven't trained since August the 5th and I still have it about as much as before. The weird thing is, when I use my hand all day, like hammering, sawing etc. I don't feel a thing really and it's hard to even provoke the cramps. But as soon as I come home, relax and use the computer, it starts again.

Does that sound familiar to you? What did you do to recover faster?

Yup thats it, you have to get the blood flowing, some contrast baths and higher rep very light movements will clear it up, and build up the intensity over time powerlifter style, then dial back down and repeat.

Yup thats it, you have to get the blood flowing, some contrast baths and higher rep very light movements will clear it up, and build up the intensity over time powerlifter style, then dial back down and repeat.

I'm so relieved to finally find someone who has experienced this too! So it is from overtraining?

What do you mean by contrast baths? Switching between very hot and ice cold water? Which rehab movements are you referring to? Light gripper work maybe? Although that's mostly the fingers, not the thumb...

How long do you think it will take to fully heal? I really want to start training again... :p

Yeah thats exactly what i meant, hot to cold a few times a day, light massage and higher rep movements for all movements in the hand. I would say when you think its gone take an extra two weeks to make sure its healed.

Yeah thats exactly what i meant, hot to cold a few times a day, light massage and higher rep movements for all movements in the hand. I would say when you think its gone take an extra two weeks to make sure its healed.

I don't really know of any good movements to do that includes the thumb. Which did you do? Basically the only things I can think of are very light grippers (which don't work the thumb) and some sort of extension work in a rice bucket.

Thanks so much :)

Rice bucket work is awesome! For the thumb i used full range thumb screw work two handed on a very light gripper, also a great opportunity to build your thumb pad lol

Rice bucket work is awesome! For the thumb i used full range thumb screw work two handed on a very light gripper, also a great opportunity to build your thumb pad lol

Ok, thanks. Can I just ask lastly where you had your cramps? Was it also in your thumb pad? Because I don't know if it would be smart to do exercises that specifically target my thumb pad when it's there I have the cramps

PS: I tried the cold / hot baths first time yesterday, and it definitely helps. So far today I haven't had even one cramp. If I can go one full day it's the first time in 1½ month!

For me, anytime ive had things like a cramping in the hands ive done the specific movement that is aggravating with very light resistance. This brings fresh blood into the area and i use a good dose of fish oils and anti-inflammatory vitamins like D3 and C.

How was your day, was it cramp free day?

Check your ergonomics, is your elbow below your hand when at the computer? Try raising your chair and or armrests to put you elbows at the same height as your desk.

For me, anytime ive had things like a cramping in the hands ive done the specific movement that is aggravating with very light resistance. This brings fresh blood into the area and i use a good dose of fish oils and anti-inflammatory vitamins like D3 and C.

How was your day, was it cramp free day?

Okay, I will try that. Yes, today was the second day in a long time that I haven't felt a thing! Almost unbelievable. I attribute it mainly to the baths - crazy how that works. Thanks so much for that suggestion. I thought this cramping would never stop...

Check your ergonomics, is your elbow below your hand when at the computer? Try raising your chair and or armrests to put you elbows at the same height as your desk.

Actually yes, I often have my elbow below my hands. Didn't know that could be a cause. Thanks man!

• 1 month later...

The pinky side of my hand cramps at times. I open and close my hand fast and it stops. I have been training my grip pretty intensively as of late, so my guess is it is this.

I don't really know of any good movements to do that includes the thumb. Which did you do? Basically the only things I can think of are very light grippers (which don't work the thumb) and some sort of extension work in a rice bucket.

Thanks so much :)

You can work your thumb with grippers. Try closing a light gripper upside down with your thumb on one handle and however many fingers on the other handle. (Pinching type of motion as if you're trying to pinch the ends together.)