I Have A Question Regarding Skin Toughness And Gripper Training

wulfgeat

So a Couple days ago (Tuesday), I checked my mail box and discovered that my GHP 6, GM, MM1/MM2, and Elite grippers had come in from Matt.

Without any chalk, I picked up the GHP 6 #124 and set and closed it easy, like a warm up. Then I saw my GM #148, and decided, I wanted to know what that felt like. I didn't chalk up because as I got ready to set it, I felt the knurling bite into my hand, and I knew it would go anywhere, and I wasn't really expecting anything anyway, because I can't close my COC #3 which I just sent to Matt.

The set felt so easy, and before I realized it, the handles were touching in my right hand. Without taking time to think about the fact that I just legit closed a #148 lb gripper, I put it in my left hand and was within a hair of making that close too.

My tendons were definitely fatigued after that, so the next day, I skipped my deadlift/rack pull work out and played with the new Swiss-bar at the YMCA I go to. Yesterday, my tendons felt better, though I still had some stinging on my palms, so I decided to try to get it on film. I chalked up this time and got the camera ready, and completely missed it, like 3/8-1/2 an inch.

I felt like I had the strength to do it, but my skin literally gave more than it did the last time. It was like the gripper was slipping deeper into my hand, but it was taking the skin with it. I didn't know my palm skin had that kind of elasticity. . .

Today I tried again, and got the gripper within a hair of being closed, but now my palms have several red marks (the knock off or we split kind). The last joints of my pinkies are also really tender to the touch.

As someone who genuinely doesn't do grippers with any frequency, would the best option for me be to use Tuf-foot on my palms, or is there some kind of skin conditioning that gripper people do?

I am asking, because I am deeply irritated that I can't get something cool on camera because the skin on my hands won't hold up. That feels worse to me than never having closed the damn thing period. . .

Tuf-foot is used to build calluses in hard places. I would try a balm called corn-huskers. It toughens the skin but keeps it moist and keeps the elasticity.

I use Gold Bond lotion, but other guys have had luck with different stuff like Working Hands, and as EJ said Cornhuskers.

It doesn't take long for your skin to toughen up to it though.

The more you do grippers the less this will bother you, that's how mine toughened up, lots of volume. Can't recommend any balms as I have no experience in them but definitely listen to EJ!

• Like 1

Sorry about the hands but congrats on the 148# GM close! And I've never heard of a ghp 6 being rated that low, that's awesome!

Tuf-foot is used to build calluses in hard places. I would try a balm called corn-huskers. It toughens the skin but keeps it moist and keeps the elasticity.

I use Gold Bond lotion, but other guys have had luck with different stuff like Working Hands, and as EJ said Cornhuskers.

It doesn't take long for your skin to toughen up to it though.

The more you do grippers the less this will bother you, that's how mine toughened up, lots of volume. Can't recommend any balms as I have no experience in them but definitely listen to EJ!

I use the "climbOn" lotion bar.

Thanks guys! I totally looked at the corn huskers, saw I could buy it at wallmart for under 5 dollars and went: "Sold."

Sorry about the hands but congrats on the 148# GM close! And I've never heard of a ghp 6 being rated that low, that's awesome!

Thanks Man! As soon as I get this hand situation Ironed out, I am totally going to post a video :) I actually felt like a legit grip athlete for the first time since I started training like 5 or 6 years ago. I know I have a long way to go yet, but it was nice to have finally done something that was on my first "Bucket List" if you will.

• Like 1

Going to add to this:

Goal 1: Work up to 1 single a day

Goal 2: Work up to 2 singles a day

Goal 3: Work up to 3 singles a day

Goal 4: Work up to 4 singles a day

Goal 5: Work up to 5 singles a day

Goal 6: Work up to 6 singles a day

Goal 7: Work up to 7 singles a day

Or some similar type of slow type of progression.

• Like 3