2X25Kg Pinch Lift - Bob Sundin Has Been Added To The Records List

John McCarter

Damn...seen it a number of times Bob...it doesn't get old. Heck of a long hold man.

• Like 1

Damn...seen it a number of times Bob...it doesn't get old. Heck of a long hold man.

Thank you Nate, it was one of those "lightning in a bottle" PRs that happen after many, many near misses and frustration. I think I buried my hand into the plates and fully committed to lifting them on that lift, thumb web be damned. I wasn't terribly far off left-handed as one attempt had very significant air for the first time.

Thanks to Juha Harju for the inspiration w/ his great attempts and full lifts! Fellow Pick-up Artists James Retarides, Jason Otto, Scott Johnson, Gary Stuart, Nate Brous, and Robert Milller (Ret.) always helped make me feel like I was a "small fish" and their strengths made my need to improve glaring! Adam Glass's videos helped a lot too, even though I've been told by others my technique is not good and am just brute forcing everything. Richard Sorin has helped keep me engaged and inspired. Chris Rice taught me not to be limited by age and Kody Burns by taught me to not to be limited by my size or self-imposed limits. I'm sure there are many others I will remember to thank later,, but that's a good start.

Thanks to Jedd Johnson, Eric Milfield and Juha Harju for teaching me to hold myself and my cert lifts to a higher standard than other people's cert lifts, otherwise I'd have posted 2x25kg very good ROM lifts I did from 10/14 and after that might have passed, but were not been as good as this one was. Juha's deserved to be first due to its dominating nature and high quality and obviousness. I did have a ridiculously difficult time getting a decent lockout on this feat as I have gotten significant air since 7/8/15-no shame in that though since the mighty Juha had about three years between getting air in 2012, and another 6 months or so after getting significant air before getting a full lift.

Thanks to all the GB moderators for their hard work and assistance during this process and for Bill and the mods for setting up this innovative feat judging format. I expect Jedd, Kody, Aaron Corcorran, Timo, Matti, and several others to get this feat in the near future. Loose plate pinch is a slightly different lift than Euro 1HP; I don't seem to gain much from the Euro, but some do that have developed much better technique-still Kody and Jedd will probably do the feat as soon as they get the plates in front of them.

• Like 1

I had to watch this several times and I'm still in disbelief, absolutely unreal display of pinch strength especially at your bodyweight. You continue to surprise me with your strength, great work.

• Like 1

Age, size doesn't seem to matter with you. World class right there :rock well done

• Like 1

Agreed Nate. These videos dont get old. Inspiring commitment and tenancy my friend. Keep the feats coming Bob. It is a privilege to be able to train with you on a weekly basis!

• Like 1

You joined a VERY small club, Bob - congrats! Hope to join that club some day.... ;)

• Like 1

I had to watch this several times and I'm still in disbelief, absolutely unreal display of pinch strength especially at your bodyweight. You continue to surprise me with your strength, great work.

Thank you Stephen; I had to work very hard for this. There are still days when the plates do not leave the ground, sometimes two weeks or more go by with no airtime. Friction lifts are weird because many times you can have an idea how the day will go just through touching the goal object and if the surface has proper texture or not-if it doesn't feel good at all it is often a frustrating waste of time going for 1-rep max PRs anyway. I struggle with "glassy" fingertip skin, at least partially because keeping myself properly hydrated is a struggle due to having a colectomy (no large intestine since 1997, which saved my life). I did very well on Monday night too with a few efforts that required replaying the video a few times (that felt great at the time) only to see they weren't good enough. I also sent videos of my better efforts to Juha for his advice and opinions and he was a huge help, he holds both himself and others to very high, sometimes seemingly impossibly high, standards. :grin: Thursday I wasn't even scheduled to train, but I felt very strong for some reason and decided to go for it.

Congratulations!! You do realize, that you are setting bar quite high for -83kg class?

Fenne, right? Thank you, but I'm just trying to improve, the main battle is with conquering myself and then the goal object.

Age, size doesn't seem to matter with you. World class right there :rock well done

Thank you for the kind words Alawadhi!

Agreed Nate. These videos dont get old. Inspiring commitment and tenancy my friend. Keep the feats coming Bob. It is a privilege to be able to train with you on a weekly basis!

Thank you Jason! I figured you must get sick of the videos when I'm on a roll, thank you. You are a great friend and training partner and very strong in several of my weaker areas.

You joined a VERY small club, Bob - congrats! Hope to join that club some day.... ;)

Thank you Burkhard! I started training for it after pinching 45s with two fingers and thumb in February and getting a good hold, that made me think "why not me" re:2x25kg/2x55lb. I first pinched 2x45 about seven years ago, so if you average it over that time it's about three lbs. a year-but I've gained about 10 of them this year. Another thing that helped me mentally was at King Kong when I got a little air w/ a ~53kg 1HP after my last official attempt w/ 49.19kg , which went up very quickly.

• Like 1

Thank you Burkhard! I started training for it after pinching 45s with two fingers and thumb in February and getting a good hold, that made me think "why not me" re:2x25kg/2x55lb. I first pinched 2x45 about seven years ago, so if you average it over that time it's about three lbs. a year-but I've gained about 10 of them this year. Another thing that helped me mentally was at King Kong when I got a little air w/ a ~53kg 1HP after my last official attempt w/ 49.19kg , which went up very quickly.

Thanks for sharing this info! You're right - NO LIMITS! I'll try for 20/25kg plate pinch in 2016.

• Like 2

A 53k 1HP at 77k bodyweight would have placed you very close to Kody on a pound-for-pound (Wilk's formula) basis.

Thanks for sharing this info! You're right - NO LIMITS! I'll try for 20/25kg plate pinch in 2016.

• Like 1

Great feat, bro!

• Like 1

Dayuuuum!

Killer pinch dewd!

Thank you Tommy! I remember when 2x45 felt impossible and I was able to get there, so just applied the same mindset. I am very much a "nervous system" lifter, meaning I need a warmup, unlike someone like Robert Miller (another candidate for 2x55 for sure), who can walk up to 2x45 and lift them cold routinely and fairly easily.

Wow that was incredible! And you made it look easy!

Thank you David! No, it was very hard and I still have a blood blister on the side of my thumbnail from pinching so hard. It is ridiculously frustrating to train for with lots of near misses, the "best" being when my lift failed only due to the thumb web ripping.I think the fact that I felt very strong that day plus the emotional part of my 15-year old cat, Odin, being in failing health lately pushed me to finish it off as I was close on a few, only to fail at the finish, and was able to reach for something inside myself beyond what I've ever done. I tried to train Saturday, but aborted it as I had absolutely nothing to give,, which I almost never do.

A 53k 1HP at 77k bodyweight would have placed you very close to Kody on a pound-for-pound (Wilk's formula) basis.

Mikael, I am nowhere near Kody's strength now (humbling when he 1HP10k more than me at KK!), although I've told my training partners awhile back that my belief was that in the near future I could get somewhere between 50kg and what Kody does, because 1HP feels natural to me. I hope Kody is at Gripmas, because I expect him and Jedd to toy with this feat if the conditions for pinch are typical for Gripmas (transfers or 2-finger lifts?), although we know pinch and any friction based lift can vary wildly day-to-day, based on our skin and hydration, the weather (I curse low-humidity days now and am happy for cool, clammy, wet weather (but someone who sweats a lot probably likes the opposite) and probably a lot of stuff I've never considered. Jake should be able to do it as well! I know Euro 1HP is a little different than plate pinching as there is less height and more technique possible as a result, but those three guys are all stronger than I am.

Unreal!

Thank you Christoph! It still feels like a dream!

Great feat, bro!

Thank you Florian! I will try to do it again Wednesday if I'm feeling strong pinch-wise and my cat's surgery does not keep me from training.

Truly inspiring lift Bob... yer pinch is always world-class sir!!

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I'd like to try them one day (2-55) & at least see how far off I am! :o

• Like 1

Truly inspiring lift Bob... yer pinch is always world-class sir!!

Thanks for the kind words my friend. I'd like to try them one day (2-55) & at least see how far off I am! :o

Thank you my friend! Robert, you deserve recognition for helping to push my 1HP to the next level. For those who aren't aware, Robert has the ability to easily pinch 2x45 with no warmup at all. This made me realize that I needed to up my work on 1HP, which soon got me pinching 45s w/ 2 fingers and thumb and thinking 2x55 was within my capability. He was doing just as well as me on 1HP before focusing more on Highland Games and Gold Nail work. So, I think Robert will lift the 2x25kg/2x55 very soon if he focuses on it.

• Like 1

Great lift Bob! Great to see you still tearing it up buddy.

• Like 1

Great lift Bob! Great to see you still tearing it up buddy.

Thank you Mike! Hope all is well with you and your family.

• Like 1

Yup. Have a 4 month old keeping me busy these days.

• Like 2

Yup. Have a 4 month old keeping me busy these days.

Great lift, Bob!!!

Fantastic to see you back here, Mike!!! You have been missed. That is so cool about the baby keeping you busy! The best of times man. :grin:

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words Bob... you taught me a lot sir! Bending & HG is my main focus at the moment but I'd still love to try those beast one day! (2-55)

• Like 1