Grippers In The 130S

Evan Raftopoulos

from what I know
- some ghp6 s (mine is only 126)
- some CoC 3s are in the high 130s, and some CoC 2.5 in the low 130s.
- some super masters and grand masters (don’t know what mine are, I need to rate them).
- silvis adjustable T rex, also some other adjustable grippers although difficult to rate

- some Rb BARABAN 210s

Any other grippers in the 130s?

(sorry if this was discussed before)

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I believe the old FBBC 3x's are in this range(could be wrong), and the Heman retro gripper is around 130 if I remember correctly...but unlikely anyone will be parting with one of those.

• Like 1

My GHP6 rated at 134 by CPW, I'm not really sure why such a drop in the GHP6 ratings lately. I also have a GHP6 still in the package that I bought when they first came out which I should get rated!

• Like 1

I believe the old FBBC 3x's are in this range(could be wrong), and the Heman retro gripper is around 130 if I remember correctly...but unlikely anyone will be parting with one of those.

You totally reminded me that I have one of these! I remembered having a long forgotten unknurled 125# gripper in my collection, and started looking to see if I had sold it or what it was. Retro Heman, #47 out of 100.

from what I know

- some ghp6 s (mine is only 126)

- some CoC 3s are in the high 130s, and some CoC 2.5 in the low 130s.

- some super masters and grand masters (don’t know what mine are, I need to rate them).

- silvis adjustable T rex, also some other adjustable grippers although difficult to rate

- some Rb BARABAN 210s

Any other grippers in the 130s?

(sorry if this was discussed before)

I own a 135lbs HG300. Had a 134 RB240 once upon a time, and also a #2.5 filed to 130, and a GHP6 at 136.

• Like 1

Just leave a COC 2.5 outside for a few months. It'll be in the 130s.

• Like 3

thanks guys, this helps

Just leave a COC 2.5 outside for a few months. It'll be in the 130s.

a few months? :erm I don't have that much patience.

I went ahead and ordered a pre rated 130 pound RB210 from ebay. The tag looks like it is from Cannon. I'm also waiting in the mail a pre rated 2.5. I look forward to seeing the rating. I can now close with block set my ghp 6 126 and I'm looking for the next challenge with a rated gripper. I could try instead and close with CCS a lower rated gripper but that's no fun ( I'd probably have to drop to a CoC2) .

I'm not entirely trying to hijack this thread, but what would people pay to have a Silvis set to a specific number of your choosing? Is that a service people would want?

• Like 7

My prayers have been answered! Matt a spread sheet with its rating at 1/4 etc....(or somethjng of that nature) with a silvis adjustable is

a gripper and service i will gladly pay top dollar for!

I'd be interested in a rated to spec Sylvis. Maybe several? I'd bet if you set and pre rated a batch around 120# they'd fly off the shelf!

Edited by Big AL

I'm not entirely trying to hijack this thread, but what would people pay to have a Silvis set to a specific number of your choosing? Is that a service people would want?

You may open Pandora's Box on this one.

• Like 2

Yeah, Jon, I'm worried about that. But still...

I set a T-Rex to 140 for myself one time. It took about 4 tries. But the spreadsheet is interesting. As people ordered the service I could take the specs of the rating they wanted and see if it would be possible to publish a general mounting depth chart.

• Like 1

You could eventually make multiple rating for a simple Silvis gripper ?

For example you'd draw a line with a permanent marker on a T-Rex at 120 lbs,and another mark at 130 and finally at 140.

That would be a killer feature but it may take a huge amount of time to do it.

Edited by Sensuixel

Joe Musselwhite rated the T-Rex and Megalodon at 6 different mounting depths, from 3/8 down to 1/8. Just look for his silvis review on YouTube, it is chock full of information.

• Like 1

Yeah, Jon, I'm worried about that. But still...

I set a T-Rex to 140 for myself one time. It took about 4 tries. But the spreadsheet is interesting. As people ordered the service I could take the specs of the rating they wanted and see if it would be possible to publish a general mounting depth chart.

I dont think taking requests would be the best route, i like the pre rated gripper idea, you rate the Silvis at various mounting depths give a sheet with the measurments. Obviously this is a premium service and demands respective pricing. Just an idea, and my personal dream lmao. But in all fairness I imagine this would take a ton of work.
  • Like 1

Seems like the beauty of the silvis grippers is the fact that you can sort of micro load the thing, probably in increments as small as a pound or so, according to where you are in an individual workout.

Not trying to discourage people from giving Matt more business at all, and I definitely think a general guide of rgc numbers by 1/16" increments would be helpful, but I think the exact numbers would get muddy from gripper to gripper and workout to workout. In other words, it's something you're gonna ultimately have to do by feel anyway.

An easy way to get a "sweep" value for the gripper is take a measurement wth a deep set maybe 1/16" then a measurement at 3/8" or so. So the gripper would be good from X to Z. Up to the owner to set his/her own depth. I'm glad this came up because I was fixing to send and email to you Matt.

• Like 1

Joe Musselwhite rated the T-Rex and Megalodon at 6 different mounting depths, from 3/8 down to 1/8. Just look for his silvis review on YouTube, it is chock full of information.

how is he rating his grippers? He talks about digital dynamometer but I couldn't find how exactly he does it.

this is my suggestion:

I think it would be great if the gripper was rated out of the box like other grippers for 5$ extra. Then you can charge for additional $5 rating (s) anywhere along the handle using a measuring system that is reliable, such as using the mm set card along the handle and another one across the bottom of the spring (See pic). Then you can standardize that distance and offer let’s say two additional settings/ratings. If one wants an exact number then you could charge $15-$20 more (and even higher) since it will most likely take more effort to land on that specific rating.

EDIT: it's also reasonable if you wish to charge for additional $10 per standardized rating based on mm distance. So let's say I want my T rex to have 3 ratings, then I pay the price of the gripper + $5 for the basic rating out of the box + $ 10 for each additional standardized rating ($20 total ). So the final price is the price of the gripper + $25. This will not take much effort on your part other than rating the gripper as usual and using the mm card to get to the next rating. If one wishes to have a very specific rating then you can charge $25 extra as it will most likely take the same amount of effort to land on it (3 trials or so).

post-23990-0-15939000-1430720818_thumb.j

s it reasonable to make certain assumptions, e.g measure at the extremes an calculate any other setting by using a linear equation? (i.e. if you know the 2 end values, then a depth setting half way would give a resistance of halfway between the two measure points). This would require accurate measuring when setting a non-measured resistance, and also it would be essential that the measured point be marked permanently.

• Like 1

s it reasonable to make certain assumptions, e.g measure at the extremes an calculate any other setting by using a linear equation? (i.e. if you know the 2 end values, then a depth setting half way would give a resistance of halfway between the two measure points). This would require accurate measuring when setting a non-measured resistance, and also it would be essential that the measured point be marked permanently.

I'm not saying that's not a good idea but...

I have a silvis and it is difficult to set it at the extremes - It's difficult to figure out how low you can get the handle while both screws are on it because the handle is not see through, you are estimating. You could also go lower than that and have only one screw on the handle.

Also marking a gripper permanently might not be ideal for some people. It's very easy to just use the mm set card with another card (see pic above) and set it at the desired level anytime. For example, if I know the gripper is let's say 130 pounds at 10mm distance from the top both handles then I can set it there anytime myself.

• Like 1

What I was suggesting in case it wasn't clear is that Matt standardizes the rating distance from the top with the two card method.

This is just an example including the prices:

offering ratings 1. out of the box ($5) 2. at 20mm distance from the top ($10), 3. at 40 mm distance from the top ($10)

The cool thing with this is that you can figure out how the difficulty level changes based on mm distance and these three ratings. Perhaps what Old Dax was saying come up with a formula to calculate the in between ratings.

• Like 1