Gripper Negatives Machine

Evan Raftopoulos

this is a hand therapy equipment that I started using today for negatives with my CoC3 (hopefully it wont break).

also, the equipment came with different handles and I was able to use them on the grippers as extended handles. If I find the name of this equipment I'll share it.

how do other people train negatives?

post-23990-0-59249100-1430558060_thumb.j

post-23990-0-84804900-1430558066_thumb.j

post-23990-0-18882500-1430558695_thumb.j

post-23990-0-93022900-1430558696_thumb.j

post-23990-0-99936800-1430558698_thumb.j

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Nice stuff, if it works for you then don't let anyone tell you different.

I personally just deep set a gripper, squeeze as hard as I can and when it starts opening I hold it shut again against my leg

Very creative!

When and if I do negatives I use about the same method as Josh...deep set...push against my leg...try to hold it closed while it opens.

I typically don't do negatives though because it has a tendency for flaring up my tendinitis, so unfortunately I never really get to reap the benefits of this kind of training.

Negatives on a machines can have diminishing returns because what happens is you start changing the movement and the principle of specificity does come into play. It does not duplicate how you would actually do the close. Sort of like partial squat carrying over to full squats (IMO useless to do partials except to crush your spine).

• Like 1

What the original use of that machine in the pics, looks pretty cool

Recently started doing negatives with vulcan. I filed handles so that squeezed together they are 37mm and put other leg to vice. This way i can help it closed by pulling other leg.

Also used JBG gripper for negatives but i am not strong enough to use it properly. Sometime in future perhaps.

Here is how I approach negative training

How to do a Negative
1) Test the gripper/machine out on how you feel
1.5) Use a gripper level harder than where you currently are at; or figure a weight that can be used in terms of grip machines.
2) Only do a minimum of 3 negatives and a maximum of 15 negatives each hand.
3) The time one should hold the handles shut is no longer than 3-5 seconds in an isometric contraction.
4) All out maximum effort crushing strength should be applied when in the closed position.
5) When the handles begin to open, consider the negative to be done and switch to the other hand; go for a few millimeters (1-20), never all the way out.
6) Only do what your body can handle and never push more than what can be done in a single workout.
6.5) Never extend the movement more than what you can handle in any given set.
7) Negatives should only be done as singles
8) Take as much time as you need until your next attempt.
9) If you can't do any more, DON'T PUSH IT!
10) Never work up to 60 singles as that will make injury occur.
11) Be smart and know if you're not progressing with negative, use something else or take some time off.
12) Buildup to what will work for you, do not attempt more than what your body can handle at any given time.
13) Negatives should only be done 2 times a week, and with another workout using actual positive movement on a gripper you can close.
  • Like 6

Josh and Frank, I’ve tried that too and it takes more effort to set the gripper, so by the time the handles are closed I have less energy to hold them close. Probably as effective though for strength gains. Frank, I find the use of paraffin bath to be very soothing to the hand after heavy grip work. Not sure if it will prevent flare ups though.

Wannagrip,
I see what you are saying about the movement mechanics. I can also slide the gripper off the machine handle once closed.

Tom, typically you use different handles at one end and at the other one you hang wts from that rope (placed at the end of a table). You can do grip +supination-pronation or wrist flexion-extension depending on where you position yourself. There is also a handle for pinch grip. This has been in my clinic for years (perhaps since the 90s) and not sure if they are still making it. I’m trying to find it online.

thank you for sharing all that John, it’s great to hear from someone who used negatives before certifying for CoC!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1