Jchap's Bending

jchapman

9/12/14

L-bar x 2

Red Nail x 1. Took a ton of time off my previous best of 9:00. This one was between 1:30 and 2:30, depending on when I actually had it under 2".

Boom! Awesome job bro. You are almost there.

• 2 weeks later...

I got in a car accident (got rear-ended) on 9/14/14. I am working my way back to health now, my back is a little screwed up, but nothing major. My upper back seems to be getting better, but the lower back is still bothering me. I have been working grippers to keep hand strength/toughness.

Dude, sorry to hear about the accident. I see you were having good progress. I hope you heal your back up quickly and can get back to bending soon. Can't wait to see you certified.

Hope you heal up soon man. Glad you weren't hurt worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Still dealing with the effects of whiplash, but I am going to try to bend within the next half-week. I have been lifting light and doing lots of soft-tissue work. The prescription anti-inflammatory helps quite a bit. Crazy thing is, my gripper strength is pretty high right now, for me anyway.

10/3/14

Bent three L-Bars.

Everything went well, felt strong, not much pain, hands felt a little soft on the crush.

Now about four hours later, I am sore in the back muscles (where I am recovering from whiplash). I probably overdid it, but not in a big way. I needed to do this mentally, more than physically. I just have to be smart with my recovery.

• 2 weeks later...

10/12/14

Bent three L-bars.

I was just trying to put a little work in. I am still working my way back from whiplash, but a real devastating loss this week was my wonderful mother-in-law. Cancer sucks.

Thanks King.

10/25/14

L-bar x 2

Red Nail x 1 in 5:00

Tried a Red for the first time since my car accident. Went well, all things considered. I bent it in 5:00, with the last 4:00 spent on the last 1/4". I will be getting back into a regular lifting and bending routine now that I am feeling a lot better.

• Like 2

10/28/14

Worked the crush on a Red that was work hardened at 4.25". Able to move it 1/8". This took quite an effort, too. I will continue to work the crush, as that is my stalling point. I will do enough kinks to keep in shape.

11/1/14

Crushed a Red that was work hardened at 4 1/8" down to 2". Felt really good about this one, most of this went in the first hit.

11/4/14

ISO crush on a Red Nail that was work hardened at 3.75". Gave it everything for about ten hits and didn't budge it. Of course, this was right after heavy barbell bench and barbell rows. This is training, after all.

• Like 1

11/7/14

Crushed a Red that was work hardened at 3.75". Took it down in exactly two hits. This was the same one I couldn't budge on Tuesday. Today was a light bench day (not heavy like Tuesday).

Crushed another work hardened Red from 4.25". This one was much harder, stopped counting how many hits. It took at least seven just to get it moving. Quite a workout on this one.

Earlier today I ordered a set of Red Nails from Ironmind. I have been working off some that I got about three years ago. I will be interested to see how the new batch compares.

11/11/14

ISO crush on a Red Nail work hardened at 4.25". Didn't budge, very off-center. This was also a heavy bench and row day. Hopefully I can muster up the strength next time to crush this down.

I have been working crush on Reds at least twice a week now, and I can tell it is taking a toll on my body. My new Reds should arrive later this week, and then I can work a few kinks and let my crush recover. Then hopefully I will see a boost in crush strength.

11/14/14

L-Bar x 1

19/64" x kink

Red Nail x kink in BBW

Red Nail x 1 in just under 2:00

Red Nail x kink

Got brand new Reds in the mail yesterday. I am closer than I thought. These new Reds seem slightly easier than the ones I have been bending (about three years old).

I have been working crush downs hard lately. Half the time they are ISO sessions. Shoulders are really beat up from this. Still got a new Red in just under 2:00.

The kink in BBW wraps felt terrible, I am so used to IMPs that I couldn't get comfortable with the BBW.

• Like 3

11/18/14

19/64" DR straight to 2"' no bands, x 3

After talking to EJ, I have decided to bend a bunch of 19/64" DR and maybe N DR, and really focus on getting the Red.

These bends went well (15 seconds), last one I had a little trouble with the wraps loosening, but I was strong enough to power through it. It will just take a little experience without bands to feel comfortable.

Also decided to refocus my other training so that bending is more emphasized. I am performing just one big lift, then going right into bending. Afterwards, I will focus on a couple rehab/contra-specific exercises designed to keep the bending muscles healthy. Today I squatted, then bent, then reverse curls and band rows.

Sounds like a good plan. But time will really show us if it will work.

• Like 1

11/20/14

Bent three 19/64" DR bars in IMPs w/o bands

Today was rough. Had to fight through pain,but still got the bends. Still learning how to bend w/o bands, plus I broke in a pair of brand new wraps.

Bench press, bending, reverse curls/band rows today.

11/23/14

Bent four 19/64" bars in IMPs w/o bands.

Powered through the pain pretty well. Getting my technique dialed in: all four bars took 5 hits -- 2 kinks, 1 sweep, 2 crush.

Besides food and rest, these are the "supplements" I use to keep me bending.

post-19676-0-66311600-1416792159_thumb.j

Tiger balm was a staple in my bending.

11/24/14

Recovery mini-workout

Band chest press/band row/rice bucket/rubber band finger extensions X 3

Stretching and lacrosse ball

11/30/14

Bent two 19/64" bars in IMPs w/o bands

Very hard today. Lots of pain, mainly in right shoulder and elbow. I feel like my body is at the breaking point. I will see how I feel in the next few days. I will have to decide if this is a time to push through,mor back off.

Light squat/Heavy bench today, plus bending.

• 2 months later...

2/22/15

Back to bending after trying to deal with elbow tendonitis and shoulder pain.

L-Bar x 1, no bands

19/64" Bar x 1, one set of bands

I realize that my tendonitis isn't going to go completely away any time soon, so I will have to manage it.