Rolling Thunder

diesel

So I am contemplating a purchase of the IM Rolling Thunder. I don't have the largest hands out there, somewhere around 7.75, which makes me slightly intimidated to try this thing (I say this after seeing a few photos of Mark Felix). But I am primarily interested in any benefits that users have obtained, in addition to improvements to hand strength.

I suggest going with a crusher as well. Never used one yet but from everything I've seen and read, it is way better than a rolling thunder.

Plus, my hands are about the same size as yours and I have no problem pulling on thick bar tools.

Get a Crusher! I have both. The RT locks up. Even so i don't use calk.

I have both. If you can only get one, the crusher is a better tool.

I have a crusher from when Jerry was running FBBC, not sure how they differ now but I agree with the others, much better than the RT.

Either RT or crusher, yes, a thick handled rolling handle will be fine, even with hands not as big as Mark Felix. You probably won't break the world record, but your hands will get a lot stronger.

I like the Rolling Thunder better because you can pull bigger numbers on it than the Crusher. When I went to sell my crusher on the "sell" forum, I had two buyers within 5 minutes; it is obviously a very popular implement. I sold it because I just could not improve my numbers, and the way I figure it, the more you can lift on something, the better, the stronger, etc.

I like the Rolling Thunder better because you can pull bigger numbers on it than the Crusher. When I went to sell my crusher on the "sell" forum, I had two buyers within 5 minutes; it is obviously a very popular implement. I sold it because I just could not improve my numbers, and the way I figure it, the more you can lift on something, the better, the stronger, etc.

I think that's a bad thought habit to get into, my man. Here's one reason, if your RT gums up, you will lift bigger numbers. But that absolutely does not mean your hands got stronger.

One's lack of progress with the Crusher, or any tool for that matter, usually has more to do with one's technique and the actual drills they're doing not being right for their given needs (weaknesses) than they realize.

• Like 2

I think that's a bad thought habit to get into, my man. Here's one reason, if your RT gums up, you will lift bigger numbers. But that absolutely does not mean your hands got stronger.

One's lack of progress with the Crusher, or any tool for that matter, usually has more to do with one's technique and the actual drills they're doing not being right for their given needs (weaknesses) than they realize.

I've posted a number of times how i thought my RT strength was improving greatly, when a good part of the improvement was due to incremental damage to my handle that occurred over time, even though the handle seemed to spin very well when unloaded. I didn't realize this until trying some newer handles, and it was disappointing and discouraging-not a good surprise at all. I use the FBBC Crusher now.

• Like 3

what I like about the RT is that it's very easy to carry/travel with and that it is more of an established grip feat than the crusher at this point in time. But yea like others I also like the crusher more for training, the 2.5 more than the 2 even though my hands are not big a all. Keep in mind that the crusher when it gets rusty it can hold chalk better, so like what happens wiht RT when it stops rolling and you think you are getting stronger it can also happen with a crusher as it gets 'seasoned', but the revolving part stays consistent.

• Like 1

lately I really enjoy training with fbbc's inch trainer dumbbell, but it's difficult to compare thick handles in terms of what is better for training, personally I like to have many options :)

The "actual numbers" pulled on a crusher aren't particularly heavy for anyone. That's one of the reasons these days I prefer the Axle over either of them. It

'feels" like a strength event, which, for whatever reason, is something I prefer right now. The Crusher, for me, is like a smooth-handled gripper, not something that floats my boat. But it is truly an industrial strength workhorse piece of metal, no argument from me on that.

Somehow I just can't get into any of the rolling handles. I much prefer a thick handled dumbbell. With a plate loadable - it more closely resembles the feats I find important - and the rotational aspect just feels different.

Somehow I just can't get into any of the rolling handles. I much prefer a thick handled dumbbell. With a plate loadable - it more closely resembles the feats I find important - and the rotational aspect just feels different.

I know what you mean. What I like about the Inch is that there is an "invisible" roll going on. It adds to the mystery of the thing, like a ghost holding onto the bell trying to keep you from picking it up.

• Like 1

My RT stopped spinning, I sent in back to Ironminds they half-assed fixed it and sent it back only kinda of spinning and now it has pretty much stopped again and they also never reimbursed me for the shipping costs as they said they would do.

Also that happened to me and I never used chalk with it and I never pulled more then 140/145 on it.

Buy a Crusher.

I have most of the revolving handles posted in this thread and a few not posted about. This handle that is made in Russia is one of best ones I have. It is built like a tank and spins like it is on fire. There is a 50mm, 60mm and a 76mm model. I have the 60mm. It has powdered coated paint but is not slick paint. David Horne posted about the equipment on his site.

bizon_logo.png

post-553-0-00401300-1449064290_thumb.jpg

Edited by zcor
  • Like 1

what I like about the RT is that it's very easy to carry/travel with and that it is more of an established grip feat than the crusher at this point in time. But yea like others I also like the crusher more for training, the 2.5 more than the 2 even though my hands are not big a all. Keep in mind that the crusher when it gets rusty it can hold chalk better, so like what happens wiht RT when it stops rolling and you think you are getting stronger it can also happen with a crusher as it gets 'seasoned', but the revolving part stays consistent.

Evan...honestly I think that is comparing apples to oranges...the texture on the handle does not increase the ease of the lift anywhere near how free the handle rotates. I could take a new crusher and get it to hold chalk directly out of the package. Although a good chalk/seasoning will make a slight difference its not even close to the same as if you locked the crusher in one position then lifted it like what the RT is doing. The old RT were definitely more of an issue when losing the rotating aspect compared to the new one. The crusher in my experience so far has not lost any of the rotation and is fairly consistent with my "inch db thickbar strength" if not slightly harder.

• Like 2

Evan...honestly I think that is comparing apples to oranges...the texture on the handle does not increase the ease of the lift anywhere near how free the handle rotates. I could take a new crusher and get it to hold chalk directly out of the package. Although a good chalk/seasoning will make a slight difference its not even close to the same as if you locked the crusher in one position then lifted it like what the RT is doing. The old RT were definitely more of an issue when losing the rotating aspect compared to the new one. The crusher in my experience so far has not lost any of the rotation and is fairly consistent with my "inch db thickbar strength" if not slightly harder.

thanks Lucas, I didn't mean to imply that chalking/seasoning a crusher can have the same effect/ increase in performance as a non rolling thunder. But now that I'm reading what I wrote it totally sounds like that. Also, I guess it depends on the RT and if it stopped revolving completely or partially. I have the old model and it still spins but yea nothing like the crusher.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

• 3 weeks later...

I have most of the revolving handles posted in this thread and a few not posted about. This handle that is made in Russia is one of best ones I have. It is built like a tank and spins like it is on fire. There is a 50mm, 60mm and a 76mm model. I have the 60mm. It has powdered coated paint but is not slick paint. David Horne posted about the equipment on his site.

bizon_logo.png

Dang, I wouldnt mind testing out one of those.

Nice post, Im interested in the crusher...I've never tried one!

I have not noticed my rt locking up on me. In fact, despite being fairly decent with thickbar in at least my right hand, 200lbs on the RT still eludes me.
If i were to recommend a rolling handle, i would recommend the LGC (i think thats what its called?) Eric and i messed around with his a few weeks ago, and it was awesome. Very well built. Also, i have heard on more than 1 occasion that the #s very closely resemble an actual thick handled db. And i can verify that to be absolutely true on that implement. On a decent day i can lift my inch, and 170lbs on the LGC was my absolute max the night i tried it at Erics. So, technically it is slightly harder than a solid globe bell of the same weight.
So for anyone training to lift the inch, i say the LGC is the next best thing to train with other than the actual bell itself.

LGC sounds interesting, where do you get one?

bizon_logo.png[/quote

😄 Probably because they are a copy of Robert Barabans rolling handles.

You get it from Arne Persson, a GB member (he is based in Sweden). His GB name is 'Arne'.

I have not noticed my rt locking up on me. In fact, despite being fairly decent with thickbar in at least my right hand, 200lbs on the RT still eludes me.
If i were to recommend a rolling handle, i would recommend the LGC (i think thats what its called?) Eric and i messed around with his a few weeks ago, and it was awesome. Very well built. Also, i have heard on more than 1 occasion that the #s very closely resemble an actual thick handled db. And i can verify that to be absolutely true on that implement. On a decent day i can lift my inch, and 170lbs on the LGC was my absolute max the night i tried it at Erics. So, technically it is slightly harder than a solid globe bell of the same weight.
So for anyone training to lift the inch, i say the LGC is the next best thing to train with other than the actual bell itself.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• 2 weeks later...

You get it from Arne Persson, a GB member (he is based in Sweden). His GB name is 'Arne'.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have old RT from early 2000s perhaps even late 90s, I remember doing like 175 on it, which would be far better accomplishment than anything I've done here. Probably spin was lost. What's a more popular Crusher 2 or 2.5, I see on the site there are 18 lifters listed for 2, 40 for 2.5, and 15 for 3 inch Crusher.