Road To Crushing The Blob And Pinching The No.3

Anthony C.

Bending and Grip yesterday

DO style: Five 6" bolts. Not sure what size they are, but they're a little bit easier than the yellow. After I get my first single imp's yellow bend then I'll start recording all that crap.

Rolling thunder

Right 4x110, 5x110, 3x110, 13 second hold 105

Left 4x110, 3x110, 2x110, 10 second hold 105

Plate pinches

Right: 4 10's with no pipe, 4 tens with pipe x 4 reps, 8 second hold on last rep, 4 tens + 10 with pipe 5 second hold, 4 tens +12.5 with pipe, 2 reps

Left: All pretty much identical to right hand

TTK

Right: 5x10, 1x10, 15x7.5

Left 5x10, 3x10, 15x7.5

Excellent session, felt strong today!

Glad to see you bending bro !

Thanks Chris! I can see how it gets addicting. One of my goals for after the KK was to make a run at the red nail. We'll see how that goes, but as of right now I'm loving it. Just getting the technique down and all that.

Morning training today

Legs

Dumbbell lateral raises

2 sets 20 reps 15s

Squats with no belt

10x225, 10x245, 10x245

Lying leg curls

12x110, 6x125, 8x110

Calf raises

Abs

My base strength may be down in the morning, but that's okay, as long as my morning base strength starts to increase along the way. Tomorrow will be upper body

Upper body today

Pulldowns

10x160 10x180 10x180

Flat dumbbell bench press

10x75 8x85 6x85

Incline dumbbell flies

15x35 10x40 10x40

Cable row

10x160 10x180

Cable row with rope attachment for extra ROM

20x100 20x110 15x110

Barbell shrugs

30x135 20x135 20x135

Dips superset with chin ups

12/8 12/8 12/8

Rest day tomorrow. Looking forward to waking up later!

Respect for working out so early dude. I tried a couple times and I just can't do it.

Respect for working out so early dude. I tried a couple times and I just can't do it.

Thanks bro. Sucks going to sleep so early in the evening (9ish) but it's worth it to not have to deal with the crowded gym at night.

• Like 1

Trained grippers and a little bit of guns last night. Was a meh session. Funny how I can do rolling thunder on sunday, and my hands are still fatigued on thursday for grippers. That rolling thunder builds brutal strength but sure does have a long rehab time. So anyway, a few decent closes last night. I finally closed my 2.5 again with my off hand. This was initially rated by jedd at 125, and then re rated by matt at 119. I also closed my 134 gm after like 5 working sets. I think a lot of the game is mental, because by the time I attempted it, I picked it up by accident (thought I was using my 114 Master) and I actually just barely touched the handles. When I finally saw that it was my 134 gm I was shocked.

Did some ez bar curls and ez bar triceps extensions at 80 lbs. I'll be consulting with Chez to find out how I can program all the crap I do into a 10 day cycle so that my hands are always ready for battle.

• Like 1

Wow what's your rolling thunder workout?

Wow what's your rolling thunder workout?

Just deadlifts and holds lol but it takes a long time for my hands to recover from it. I guess because my hands are smaller. I recover faster using an axle than I would using RT

Me too. RT hits wrists and fingers in a way that axle doesn't for me.

Absolutely man, it's a complete lower arm workout!

Did bending and pinch last night. I logged everything on a sheet of paper that I forgot to take to work with me today, so I'll go off memory:

3 Yellow nails double overhand in single imp's. This was my first time bending the yellow. Decided to go ahead and bend 2 more after I got it. I've been tuf-footing like a monster and combined with bending, my hands are starting to get really tough and leatherry. Awesome!

3 sets 1HP using a 2'' Sorinex pinch block and loading pin. Weight here was low as the pinch block is brand new and not seasoned yet. I think i used around 45-50 pounds for reps.

3 sets hub using brand new IM hub. Right hand I think i got 3 reps with 47 pounds and 2 reps with my lefty

3 holds block weights...about 5 seconds each with a 35 lb block. I suck at blocks and need to get better

TTK 15-30 reps with 7.5lbs each hand, for about 4 sets

Great workout. Felt awesome to bend a yellow for the first time. The red nail just got put on notice that I've arrived.

• Like 2

Back workout today

Pulldowns 10x160 10x180 8x180

Cable row 10x180 8x180

Cable row with rope attachment 15x110 10x120

Chin ups 3 sets 8 reps

Hammerstrength row 10x90 10x100 8x100 per side

DB rows 3 sets 8 reps 65lbs

I though you just sold a hub, y did you buy another one?

also try drags up a board to help you get stronger at blocks

Edited by rico300zx

Trained grippers and a little bit of guns last night. Was a meh session. Funny how I can do rolling thunder on sunday, and my hands are still fatigued on thursday for grippers. That rolling thunder builds brutal strength but sure does have a long rehab time. So anyway, a few decent closes last night. I finally closed my 2.5 again with my off hand. This was initially rated by jedd at 125, and then re rated by matt at 119. I also closed my 134 gm after like 5 working sets. I think a lot of the game is mental, because by the time I attempted it, I picked it up by accident (thought I was using my 114 Master) and I actually just barely touched the handles. When I finally saw that it was my 134 gm I was shocked.

Did some ez bar curls and ez bar triceps extensions at 80 lbs. I'll be consulting with Chez to find out how I can program all the crap I do into a 10 day cycle so that my hands are always ready for battle.

Well, quite frankly, since I think most of us belong to the majority with whom closing heavy grippers does not come natural, putting a lot of crap in a 10 day cycle will not make for big progress on grippers. Take for instance our Russian lads, Ivan, and Alex Pritula, they almost did nothing else than grippers when they were ramping up for their 3 certs. Grippers are so CNS based and every training with intensity chomps of pieces of CNS 'health'. also it's a fact for most of us that open hand work does build strong hands for grippers, when used as a base. But combining the two is very tricky. I do open handstrength at the end of a gripperworkout but never in between. Let's face it, with pretty much every exercise you need to hold the weights with your hands which costs lower arm strength. Of course everybody is different but if open hand strength training alone would be beneficial for grippers a lot of heavy thickbar pulling guys would be much higher on the gripper list. Apart from whether or not they are interested in grippers. Somehow my open hand strength is very consistent, I can do weeks of no thickbar and still lift a 60kg dumbbell with FG Extreme's (when fresh). However, when I would leave grippers alone for weeks, well...Enter IM#0.5 :grin:

• Like 1

Well, quite frankly, since I think most of us belong to the majority with whom closing heavy grippers does not come natural, putting a lot of crap in a 10 day cycle will not make for big progress on grippers. Take for instance our Russian lads, Ivan, and Alex Pritula, they almost did nothing else than grippers when they were ramping up for their 3 certs. Grippers are so CNS based and every training with intensity chomps of pieces of CNS 'health'. also it's a fact for most of us that open hand work does build strong hands for grippers, when used as a base. But combining the two is very tricky. I do open handstrength at the end of a gripperworkout but never in between. Let's face it, with pretty much every exercise you need to hold the weights with your hands which costs lower arm strength. Of course everybody is different but if open hand strength training alone would be beneficial for grippers a lot of heavy thickbar pulling guys would be much higher on the gripper list. Apart from whether or not they are interested in grippers. Somehow my open hand strength is very consistent, I can do weeks of no thickbar and still lift a 60kg dumbbell with FG Extreme's (when fresh). However, when I would leave grippers alone for weeks, well...Enter IM#0.5 :grin:

Thanks for the input, Geralt. I want to clarify as well and just say i'm not going to be doing a monstrous amount of work. Just a basic weight training program and 2-3 grip workouts in a 10 day period. I'd be doing light volume on pinch and thick bar and just really focusing on grippers. Haven't you recently said that you thought you needed more rest time in between gripper sessions? Would you recommend doing two gripper sessions during this time? If I did that, one session would absolutely have to be lighter grippers and lower intensity or I would burn out.

In the perfect world, I would just do grippers for months and months like when I first started training, but since I've started going to the competitions, it helps to have a well balanced routine, like Chez. It's going to take some experimenting to see what works for me. I'm still basically a noob when it comes to grip...only a year and change on my resume so I really don't know what works and what doesn't yet. I do know though that even if I only did grippers, I'd still not be able to do them more than once a week.

• Like 1

Today I worked out chest:

Dumbbell flat bench press

8x85 8x90 8x80

Dumbbell incline flies

10x40 8x45 8x45

Smith machine flat bench press

3 sets 5x65 weight per side

Dips

12 12 10

Machine flies

12x130 9x130

Pushups

2 sets to failure

Still not up to my old strength, but I'm getting there slowly. Pretty good workout today. Rest tomorrow...never thought I'd be excited about getting to sleep until 6 30 am

You can put a wide board on a cement block or something similar and drag your block weight up it using different grips. This will build the strength to lift the block.

You can put a wide board on a cement block or something similar and drag your block weight up it using different grips. This will build the strength to lift the block.

I can't believe I didn't think of this, thanks man! I have just the board to use

Thanks for the input, Geralt. I want to clarify as well and just say i'm not going to be doing a monstrous amount of work. Just a basic weight training program and 2-3 grip workouts in a 10 day period. I'd be doing light volume on pinch and thick bar and just really focusing on grippers. Haven't you recently said that you thought you needed more rest time in between gripper sessions? Would you recommend doing two gripper sessions during this time? If I did that, one session would absolutely have to be lighter grippers and lower intensity or I would burn out.

In the perfect world, I would just do grippers for months and months like when I first started training, but since I've started going to the competitions, it helps to have a well balanced routine, like Chez. It's going to take some experimenting to see what works for me. I'm still basically a noob when it comes to grip...only a year and change on my resume so I really don't know what works and what doesn't yet. I do know though that even if I only did grippers, I'd still not be able to do them more than once a week.

In the end my friend it depends on what your goal is. I have no interest for now in competing in grip. Since there isn't anything organised here. And for now I don't feel like organising an event. So I l just love grippers. And when I feel like it, I train other gripstuff. I think if you want to compete you can try to excel on one or two events but other events will suffer a bit. If I want my max output for grippers, I can't do much other gripwork. My hands just need a whole week of rest. When I pick grippers up earlier I suck bigtime. When I do other gripstuff between that, I suck even harder. That's why a lot of guys leave grippers for what they are. I don't give much about ' reallife strength carryover' I have this Krav Maga instructor who isn't the biggest and strongest guy. Believe me he kicks most guys asses. So for that matter, I just do what I like for fun.

In training for instance, when I do grippers on Friday or Saturday, I try to do my pulling workout first, whether it be DL or other pulling stuff. In the end of the week I can do my pressing movements so my grip doesn't suffer that much. That's how I try to approach it. But hey I am definitely not the topguy around lol ;-) And since beginning 2009 I still don't get how my body works sometimes heh.

Edited by Geralt

In the end my friend it depends on what your goal is. I have no interest for now in competing in grip. Since there isn't anything organised here. And for now I don't feel like organising an event. So I l just love grippers. And when I feel like it, I train other gripstuff. I think if you want to compete you can try to excel on one or two events but other events will suffer a bit. If I want my max output for grippers, I can't do much other gripwork. My hands just need a whole week of rest. When I pick grippers up earlier I suck bigtime. When I do other gripstuff between that, I suck even harder. That's why a lot of guys leave grippers for what they are. I don't give much about ' reallife strength carryover' I have this Krav Maga instructor who isn't the biggest and strongest guy. Believe me he kicks most guys asses. So for that matter, I just do what I like for fun.

In training for instance, when I do grippers on Friday or Saturday, I try to do my pulling workout first, whether it be DL or other pulling stuff. In the end of the week I can do my pressing movements so my grip doesn't suffer that much. That's how I try to approach it. But hey I am definitely not the topguy around lol ;-) And since beginning 2009 I still don't get how my body works sometimes heh.

Haha, no that makes complete sense man. And I hear you, I'm putting pinch and thick bar on the backburner for now, especially since I trained them so hard for the 3 months leading up to the king kong. I'll continue to do a little for them, but nothing crazy. My main objectives for the time being will be grippers and bending. I mean, we'll see how it goes. My thick bar will probably just consist of throwing iron bulls or fat gripz on a pull up bar or a few sets after conventional deadlifts. All I know is I need to buckle up and close the damn 3 already.

• Like 1

Just stay consistent man. By the way, who is this ' Chez' you speak of? Is he into grip?

:-)

• Like 1

Just stay consistent man. By the way, who is this ' Chez' you speak of? Is he into grip?

Some big goofy looking dude who is obsessed with grippers. I don't like him.

• Like 3

Some big goofy looking dude who is obsessed with grippers. I don't like him.

No one does. We just pretend to like him.

• Like 2