Blobs

GordonV

I got my BLOB50 today and all I can say is SWEEEEEEEEET! :rock Many many thanks to Gordon for taking on the project to get these made. I know how hard stuff like this is to do and I want to say a big THANKS! Buy em up guys! Maybe then Gordon can get some 45s & 40s made!

Awesome, mine will be here friday - cant wait! I know this was a big project for you Gordon, BIG THANKS! I'm with Lance tho, if you get the itch, Id buy a 40 and 45lber too. I'm sure there would be others.

I just got my Blob 50 and it is amazing. :D Got it in 2 days. Packaging was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a "Blob". Thanks again Gordon.

I just got mine today.

If you ever wanted a blob, you better get one of these before they become a collectors item as well!

If it had a different paint job, and a YORK on it instead of BLOB50, you would not be able to tell the difference IMO.

Here's an update.

I jumped the gun. I finally got it right next to my other real York and with the same paint job. Did a really close compare.

These replicas are a bit thinner (at least compared to mine). The edges are sharper as well. The flare is not as large either as the real York I have.

Whether it is harder would likely depend on the lifter. But, given the sharper edges and not as much flare, my guess it would be easier than MY original York.

Anyone else have both and can compare? Maybe my York is just wider than normal!?

The blob50 was almost 53lbs, roughly weighed.

Wanna,

In light of your recent post, will lifting the Blob50 still qualify you as lifting the Blob?

If you get one of these and train hard enough to get it consistently, you will be on your way to getting the blob when you do run across one, which you will eventually have happen.

Don't not buy these just because it keeps you off a list.

I am on the list and have lifted 5 different official blobs, at least. However, I could not lift the original blob at Night of Strength II. I am still on the list.

Don't not buy these with only "LIST" intentions in mind. Get them because they are agreat idea and because they are a great test of grip strength, just like any other block weight is, except for the fact that it carries a little more history.

-Jedd-

• Like 1

My BLOB50 should be here Tuesday.

But, from what I have seen, even the Yorks vary.

My biggest is an old 80 (at least 30 yrs old). The halves are 42lbs each.

My 75 , was bought new at local retail this year. The ends weigh exactly

37.5lb each. The 75 ends have a slightly different shape than my old

80. A bit "sharper". I have noticed this same variation at my local YMCA.

The newer 90's seem more "compact" when placed next to the old 90's.

The older 90's are a bit taller and softer/rounder.

Nevertheless, I can't wait for Tuesday ;)

T!

Edited by tspinillo

I've already ordered one Jedd. I'm sure it will be great regardless of whether or not lifting it puts me on the official blob list. Since it was molded from real Blobs it's close enough for me. I was just curious what the official Gripboard rule would be.

Let's be real though no one spends all that time and money looking for a York Blob because they're after handstrength alone, it's the challenge of pitting yourself against all the greats like Sorin, Wade, and Brookfield who've lifted the Blob before you. You want to be able to duplicate them. If all you want are the benefits of blockweights, hex weights work just fine. Depending on the Hex, you may have to use lighter or heavier ones compared to their York counter-parts but they'll get the job done.

If you get one of these and train hard enough to get it consistently, you will be on your way to getting the blob when you do run across one, which you will eventually have happen.

I am on the list and have lifted 5 different official blobs, at least. However, I could not lift the original blob at Night of Strength II. I am still on the list.

Don't not buy these with only "LIST" intentions in mind. Get them because they are agreat idea and because they are a great test of grip strength, just like any other block weight is, except for the fact that it carries a little more history.

-Jedd-

Exactly!

I am on the list and have lifted 5 different official blobs, at least.  However, I could not lift the original blob at Night of Strength II.  I am still on the list.

Don't not buy these with only "LIST" intentions in mind.  Get them because they are agreat idea and because they are a great test of grip strength, just like any other block weight is, except for the fact that it carries a little more history.

-Jedd-

Exactly!

I guess that's a NO??

My BLOB50 should be here Tuesday.

But, from what I have seen, even the Yorks vary.

My biggest is an old 80 (at least 30 yrs old). The halves are 42lbs each.

My 75 , was bought new at local retail this year. The ends weigh exactly

37.5lb each. The 75 ends have a slightly different shape than my old

80. A bit "sharper". I have noticed this same variation at my local YMCA.

The newer 90's seem more "compact" when placed next to the old 90's.

The older 90's are a bit taller and softer/rounder.

Nevertheless, I can't wait for Tuesday ;)

T!

Again, for sure. Which is why I said "my blob". I figured they do vary.

You can't get any better than the blob50 for replica of a York 50lb blob. Get em while they last! :mosher

I am on the list and have lifted 5 different official blobs, at least.  However, I could not lift the original blob at Night of Strength II.  I am still on the list.

Don't not buy these with only "LIST" intentions in mind.  Get them because they are agreat idea and because they are a great test of grip strength, just like any other block weight is, except for the fact that it carries a little more history.

-Jedd-

Exactly!

I guess that's a NO??

Jedd is the records chair. He's the boss there. Although we do confer from time to time and I do the powerball thingy.

Just food for thought:

Grippers such as the #3,#4,BBE, BBSE and other grippers vary, but everyone who has closed one is on the list.

I'm sure the blob50 isn't "exactly" like the real blob, there could be some suttle changes, but thats life.

• Like 1

I've already ordered one Jedd. I'm sure it will be great regardless of whether or not lifting it puts me on the official blob list. Since it was molded from real Blobs it's close enough for me. I was just curious what the official Gripboard rule would be.

Let's be real though no one spends all that time and money looking for a York Blob because they're after handstrength alone, it's the challenge of pitting yourself against all the greats like Sorin, Wade, and Brookfield who've lifted the Blob before you. You want to be able to duplicate them. If all you want are the benefits of blockweights, hex weights work just fine. Depending on the Hex, you may have to use lighter or heavier ones compared to their York counter-parts but they'll get the job done.

Awesome. Get that puppy and let us know how you're progressing.

-Jedd-

Just throwing in my .02 on the Blob measurement discussion.

I know that there are some other guys who ordered BLOB50s who also have York Blobs. They can chime in with measurements if they wish.

I did some comparison measurements between the York that served as a pattern and the finished BLOB50's.

The diameter was exactly the same, as was the width at the widest point, however the width at the perimeter was between 1/32 and 1/16 narrower on the BLOB50 than the York (depending on where you measure on the York).

The finished weight on the BLOB50s was 51.54# this was consistent plus or minus 4 ounces for all of the samples tested by the foundry.

Admittedly, I did not have them weigh the original as a point of reference.

If any one wants a BLOB50 I do have some left, details are in the selling forum.

Personally, I think they should count for the records list. It doesn't sound like you can get any closer to the blob than one of these.

As to wether the BLOB50 should get you on the "list", look at the . . . uuuh (mind goes blank) :whacked . . duuuh Inch replicas.. Do they count as getting you on a List?

~Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Blob50 today and all I can say is wow! After KTA, I will embark on the journey to lifting one of these beauties. Thanks Gordon! :bow:rock:bow:rock:bow:rock:bow:rock:bow:rock:bow

Got my BLOB50 yesterday and I'm very pleased. I have two 25#, one 37.5#, two 45# original blobs. I can say they all vary in texture and shape and the BLOB50 lies within the varience of the others from what I can tell. My 25#ers are sharper at the exge and a bit rougher, my 37.5#er is much slicker and has rounder edges. My 45#ers and the BLOB50 both lie somewhere in between. The BLOB50 is just a bit rougher and has slighly sharper edges than my 45#ers. My 45#ers weigh 46 and my BLOB50 weighs 51 on the same scale. Although I have never tried a true 50# Blob, the BLOB50 was just what I was expecting it to be. Also, GordonV was very helpful and processed my order very quickly.

Two thumbs up is my vote.

The BLOB50's are high quality stuff. I love training with mine and will probably continue with added weight long after I've lifted it by itself.

• 7 months later...
If the Blob50 is still for sale can someone PM me? 

Thanx in advance

PM GordonV. He's the fellow who organized the replicas and sells them. He can probably help you out. :D