Cheat choking for negatives

pburke23

Hey guys,

Besides using the side of your leg, or off hand to cheat close a gripper for negatives, are there any other methods you guys use?

Reading John McCarter's short book, he mentioned putting some copper pipe over one handle for this reason, but seems it would make that side really tough to hang onto.

Thoughts, ideas?

I just use the Frankenstein gripper for holds and negative reps....using the long handle that is included in the price gives great leverage to cheat it shut....if you cannot cheat it shut using only that long handle, then use the long handle + your other hand/leg...whatever it takes!   Hope that helps.........

Thanks Chez, yea, I think that's the same concept that he was saying to use a copper pipe over a handle of a gripper that doesn't have a like that included.

Just haven't seen anyone do it, and was curious how it worked out and how it felt.

I've drilled and tapped threads into the finger side of some of my grippers. It works great and you can easily remove the bolt when you are ready to do regular closes. 

20170120_171530.jpg

I use 5/16 thread bolts. The drill bit and thread cutter are easily obtained at a hardware store. And it is very easy to cut threads in aluminum.20170120_171606.jpg

You can brace the bolt against your leg or the floor or a table. It will fit in a power rack too. Just make sure you tap the threads long enough so that all of the threads of the bolt go in to the handle. 

• Like 5

I just use my other hand to cheat it shut.

The reason I was using a copper pipe for cheating grippers closed was to work really heavy grippers I couldn't close (#4-Tetting World Class) and build a base around isometrics. The pipe is actually really strong at the same time; using a Tetting World Class that rated 288 lbs wouldn't even put and dent in it. 

You would think the gripper would slide around in the pipe, but, if you steady the spring of the gripper with your non closing hand, there should never be an issue of the gripper sliding.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John McCarter said:

The reason I was using a copper pipe for cheating grippers closed was to work really heavy grippers I couldn't close (#4-Tetting World Class) and build a base around isometrics. The pipe is actually really strong at the same time; using a Tetting World Class that rated 288 lbs wouldn't even put and dent in it. 

You would think the gripper would slide around in the pipe, but, if you steady the spring of the gripper with your non closing hand, there should never be an issue of the gripper sliding.

Thanks John! Really enjoyed your book btw! 

Curious if you happen to have any pics handy?

3 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't have pics of it.

7 hours ago, pburke23 said:

Not sure if this helps here's some pics from ebook 

IMG_0680.PNG

IMG_0681.PNG