Newcomer to grip training

Boulderbrew

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBtToUAyxE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qDuu7aWuLgY

I introduced myself a few days. I am really excited to start getting my grip stronger. I have never trained with grippers before, but I have been rock climbing for 11 years. I hope to chronicle my training progress here.

Currently I have a rolling thunder, and some COC grippers. I bought a flask that should be to my house next week. 

I have started KTA so that I have some good direction on how to get stronger with grippers (I know I should probably abstain from other forms of grip training while on this program). 

Anyways, I linked a couple videos of myself just messing around on the rolling thunder, and attempting to close the #3 from parallel (I know my hand goes out of frame, and the gripper set was wonky. 

• Like 2

The goal for now is to train to close the COC #3. After that I plan to train my pinch strength. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what equipment/training routine I should pursue? I am open to suggestions. As I stated before, I have purchased the flask, but I feel that I would like to train wide pinching as well. A dream would be to get strong enough to lift a fatman 50lbs. 

hi. can i ask what age you are? hope that's not too personal. thank you.

I'm 24

2 hours ago, dave murray said:

hi. can i ask what age you are? hope that's not too personal. thank you.

I am 24

16 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I checked out the Cutting the Habit vid - nice V12 send. Also, good effort on the #3 and it was cool to watch the one-handed RT pullups.

First, I know nothing about grip sport pinching or glob pinching, but because I want to see some climbers on this board I'm going to throw some stuff your way. One way to train pinch is to use plates. I liked Daniel Reinard"s youtube plate pinching tutorial. He has other informative vids as well. I'm sure you will like training with the Flask and if you are looking for a wide implement check out BBBC Climber's Pinches. Because I'm so weak at pinching, I was compelled to alter the texture by spraying a couple of them with Rustoleum Fine Texture paint. That is likely not the way to go if you have glob and plate pinching goals.

I know you stated you don't want to barbell train, but before you write it off, read Steve Bechtel's thoughts on the deadlift for climbers over at ClimbStrong.

Best of luck with your grip goals.

Haha thanks! Cutting the Habit was a nemesis climb for awhile. Glad I finally pieced it together. The climber pinch looks really cool. It is exactly what I was looking for. I knew such a product existed, I just wasn't sure where. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

I did get pretty into weight training in 2013. I trained hard (and ate hard), completely abandoned rock climbing, and got up to weighing 210lbs (my natural weight is about 170lbs). I did love deadlifting back then and would love to reintroduce myself to the lift, but that just feels like a slippery slope.   Have you read Steve's book? I am curious about what he says. The deadlift is such a CNS charging exercise. I could see the carryover. I do actually know some climbers who swear by the deadlift as a supporting exercise.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:09 PM, WestSlope said:

I'm trying to climb out of that rabbit hole right now. I was 180# about three years ago when I started powerlifting to take a break from climbing. I'm down to ~204 from an all time high of 224 last year. I really don't enjoy climbing when I'm over 190.

I don't own Steve's deadlift manual as the intended audience appears to be deadlifting neophytes. It sounds like you don't need it either. The discussion I was thinking of is not on ClimbStrong - it's a podcast on PowerCompanyClimbing with his co-author. He also might make mention of it on one of his TrainingBeta interviews. I know I wouldn't be able to train the heavier grip-type lifts off of the ground if I didn't train the deadlift. Not to mention the obvious - the Axle Double Overhand.

One gold mine of information that isn't referred to very often on this board is the Grip Well. Holy Sh!t, I was like a kid in a ball pit when I found that. All of the interviews are great, but I was particularly enthralled by comments regarding pinching from Kody Burns and Chris Rice.

Got a shipment from Barrel Strength today! Before I started my gripper training, I worked up to a 135lbs 1RM with the tips tester. I feel like I could have done more, but currently all I have is 45 and 35 pound plates 🙄. Alongside some new plates, I should probably get a scale to get more exact weights. 

46 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Got a shipment from Barrel Strength today! Before I started my gripper training, I worked up to a 135lbs 1RM with the tips tester. I feel like I could have done more, but currently all I have is 45 and 35 pound plates 🙄. Alongside some new plates, I should probably get a scale to get more exact weights. 

Are you in colorado @Boulderbrew?  Your profile says dallas, but your name says colorado.

9 minutes ago, Broc said:

Are you in colorado @Boulderbrew?  Your profile says dallas, but your name says colorado.

I'm not unfortunately

1 minute ago, Boulderbrew said:

I'm not unfortunately

Either way glad to have another climber in the sport.  Do you have any videos up on instagram I would like to check out your training?

3 minutes ago, Broc said:

Either way glad to have another climber in the sport.  Do you have any videos up on instagram I would like to check out your training?

I don't have instagram. I have not really posted many videos of myself climbing or training. my knee is pretty injured right now, so climbing training is in a bit of a slump honestly. I hope to be back to full strength next season. I have some projects that I would like to finish up!

Good call on play it again sports. I got some weights for super cheap today (45lbs plates for $19).Had a pretty solid workout yesterday and was able to close my GHP 7 before I started the KTA workout for the day. Today I managed to lift  185 (not including the loading pin) on the tips tester. Feeling pretty strong on static holds (probably because that's all rock climbing is), but man I'm weak comparatively on grippers. My scale comes in on Monday, so I'll get more legit attempts soon.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Went to the gym today and did some deadlifting and bench press, working up to heavy triples...god I have so far to go. I know I need to get stronger, but I really don't want to put on weight. Anyways, came home and chose to abuse my FBBC crusher 2.5 the way only a rock climber would want to haha 

Deadlift 325 x 3

bench 235 x 3

• Like 2

Also did some pull-ups on the flask, but didn't have time to video 

Been feeling really motivated lately, but have been set back due to persistent pain on the back of my wrist that comes on while closing grippers. The pain is not debilitating, and if I warm up really well it is really just a dull ache (can still close my CPW #3 152 easily). I have been doing daily contrast baths and wrist rehab (rubber bland extension, wrist curls, and light sledge pronation/supination). I know I have been a bit over zealous in my training and have brought this on myself. The pain only comes when closing grippers. I can wide pinch and thick bar all day with no pain. Hoping this all subsides soon. Sucks being psyched up and crippled at the same time. Any suggestions on how to expedite the healing process would be greatly appreciated.

5 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Been feeling really motivated lately, but have been set back due to persistent pain on the back of my wrist that comes on while closing grippers. The pain is not debilitating, and if I warm up really well it is really just a dull ache (can still close my CPW #3 152 easily). I have been doing daily contrast baths and wrist rehab (rubber bland extension, wrist curls, and light sledge pronation/supination). I know I have been a bit over zealous in my training and have brought this on myself. The pain only comes when closing grippers. I can wide pinch and thick bar all day with no pain. Hoping this all subsides soon. Sucks being psyched up and crippled at the same time. Any suggestions on how to expedite the healing process would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are feeling better, on pain contrast baths, stretching , ibuprofen light extensor work with barbell, bands like you do and maybe some time off. On a different note, I just saw video of you picking up the inch dumbbell and fat man blob at the same time-you are incredible. 

16 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Hope you are feeling better, on pain contrast baths, stretching , ibuprofen light extensor work with barbell, bands like you do and maybe some time off. On a different note, I just saw video of you picking up the inch dumbbell and fat man blob at the same time-you are incredible. 

I think I just need to accept that some time off from grippers would be most beneficial. And thanks man! That mean a lot. I was really psyched to do that lift, but I feel like most people with long fingers can probably do this feat. My thumb and middle finger can touch around the inch handle, so a Portion of the grip aspect is partially defeated. Regardless, the inch is an extremely fun implement to train with. I feel that lifting the fatman is much harder.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rock climbing training has been on the back burner lately as I have been focusing more on grip training. When I first started grip training earlier this year, I was drawn to the Tips Tester because it allowed me to showcase a strength that I felt I already had from climbing. I was able to pull 207lbs one handed  

Yesterday I decided to train some of the medley items for this years nationals. I busted out the TIps Tester which I have used probably less than 10 times. I just figured that the finger tip strength would stay with me because I trained it for so long.......Wrong. Haha I worked up to a heavy single at 170lbs that felt really hard (granted I did axle deadlifts the day before and my grip was a bit taxed, but still......). It is so interesting to me that while I get stronger in other grip areas, my fundamental grip strength has dropped off dramatically. I am going to start incorporating more climbing and fingertip work into my training again. I feel strongest all over when my fingers are strong. PLUS

A good friend of mine hosts a rock climbing competition at his home climbing gym every year. The competition is called Texas Legends. He usually gets a couple sponsors for the event, and invites all of our friends/strong TX climbers. It is not a serious competition by any means, but we all always have tons of fun. After the climbing portion of the competition, there are always mini competitions (handstand, push-up, one arm lock off, who can hold a fist jam the longest...etc). This year my friend gave me the okay to do a small grip challenge. I am going to do a one handed Tips Tester challenge where I start with a 45 plate so that everyone can get an idea of how the implement works, I will add weight from there and cycle through competitors. Last man/woman standing wins. Lifts will just be to lockout, no sense in me brining out a tape measure to get all lifts at 7.5". I am not trying to scream "NO LIFT" at some people who don't even know what grip is. I figure this will be pretty fun to see how some of my climber friends do with the Tips Tester. There will be two guys there that boulder V13, and a friend of mine who can crank out one arm pull-ups on door frames. We may see a couple more one arm Tips Tester pull-ups. It is too bad that this will go down after everyone is thoroughly gased from climbing/boozing all night. Either way, PSYCHED!

Here is a video of last years TX Legends. It is kinda dark, but im the one in the striped tank top with the buzz cut.

• Like 1

I will get out my camera and film towards the end as we get more difficult attempts. I have a feeling some women may put up big numbers. The girl with short blonde hair in the video is named Clair Buhrfeind. She is a sponsored rock climber (Adidas) and has heinously strong fingers. I'm certain she could put up some scary Tips Tester numbers. Not sure if she is attending this years competition though.....

1 hour ago, Boulderbrew said:

I will get out my camera and film towards the end as we get more difficult attempts. I have a feeling some women may put up big numbers. The girl with short blonde hair in the video is named Clair Buhrfeind. She is a sponsored rock climber (Adidas) and has heinously strong fingers. I'm certain she could put up some scary Tips Tester numbers. Not sure if she is attending this years competition though.....

This is great! I can't wait to read/see the results. I wish I had more time to get back into the climbing gym and set up impromptu grip challenges. I know there has to be more climbers with freak grip strength like you that don't even know that grip sport exists. Also, climbing is hella fun.

P.S. Don't get too worried about your grip strength fluctuating. It does that, especially in the middle of a training block. If you did thickbar training the day before, you will have a hard time doing any big finger lifts the day after. If you give yourself a week off and get well rested, you'll still have your ridiculous strength, I bet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

This is great! I can't wait to read/see the results. I wish I had more time to get back into the climbing gym and set up impromptu grip challenges. I know there has to be more climbers with freak grip strength like you that don't even know that grip sport exists. Also, climbing is hella fun.

Yeah Man! I'm excited too. Still working on getting some of my friends to start grip training. I think the tips Tester will be fun for them because they will be really good at it naturally. I was in Chattanooga over thanksgiving finishing up a boulder problem called The Shield. It is the most classic Boulder problem in TN. I drove right through your backyard on my way. Wish I was grip training at the time. I could have stopped by

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Yeah Man! I'm excited too. Still working on getting some of my friends to start grip training. I think the tips Tester will be fun for them because they will be really good at it naturally. I was in Chattanooga over thanksgiving finishing up a boulder problem called The Shield. It is the most classic Boulder problem in TN. I drove right through your backyard on my way. Wish I was grip training at the time. I could have stopped by

Oh cool. I love Chattanooga. I just watched a video of that problem, that Gaston at the end looks insane. Yeah, dude, if you're ever doing any more Southeast climbing, give me a holler!