GD Iron Grip 90 Adjustable RGC Ratings

Squeezus

Its a really good training tool.

you can used it for a standalone gripper or a bridge gripper.

I sometimes use it on the off days or weekends

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShelluvstheMostHigh said:

A good day to you brother and very nice   Mattek.

Wow! :) Looks like GD company finally listened to us grip fanatics on suggestions to for their Irongrip models Mattek and updated the new line- lol. I know the 2020-2021 GD 90s level 6 RGC were hitting 80-88kg or more with the points. So perhaps the new ones will deep 84-88kg or even better if they can actually touch now. I think my level 6 is definitely hitting an RGC of 170-173 or better. Feels almost as strong as my  GHP8 which is rated RGC 179 from CPW :). I hope we see more RGC tests of GD90s with the new design and see if any hit 88-90kg or more. Gripmania tested a 2020 GD90 and even without the handles touching and with the points that one at  level 6 hit  RGC# 81kg(178lbs). His RGC Videos are on youtube all. So hopefully that means most of the ones that were made during the 2018-2020 years were coming in at  a Lvl 6 range of 77-85kg RGC. And thats definitely some serious strength right there to train with or close. 

Thanks!

I filed down the black stoppers, and that's the only reason the handles can touch now. Maybe they changed manufacturers for the spring and that's why the handles can touch even on Level 6 (compared to earlier versions), but I highly doubt it's intentional 😄.

If I would have to guess, Level 5 is around RGC ~140lbs (64kg) on mine with the handles touching. I can't close Level 6 so I can't really approximate that. Maybe I'll send it to Cannon for rating, because the extensions and the adjustable spread makes it a really versatile tool. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

We had a chance to rate 3 of these. The GD70, GD80 and GD90. All three were stock (not filed to close farther) and the GD90 was a slightly older model. Photos below. 

It was really fiddley to fine-tune the final number and it bounced around enough that I felt each level was better represented as a range. Also it's unlikely these are all the same. We rated each level of each gripper multiple times. 

image.png.174c3b32fee3637bb2d5b150b637109d.png

I found these units to be very well made and extremely easy to adjust and use. I do wish they closed all the way like a TSG, but as others have shown there is just a small nubbin that you have to file down to get extra ROM. I think others have filed them to where they can close. Should we look into carrying them?  

image.png.803af06ad2882a3dc9308346d3a6d975.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cannon said:

We had a chance to rate 3 of these. The GD70, GD80 and GD90. All three were stock (not filed to close farther) and the GD90 was a slightly older model. Photos below. 

It was really fiddley to fine-tune the final number and it bounced around enough that I felt each level was better represented as a range. Also it's unlikely these are all the same. We rated each level of each gripper multiple times. 

I found these units to be very well made and extremely easy to adjust and use. I do wish they closed all the way like a TSG, but as others have shown there is just a small nubbin that you have to file down to get extra ROM. I think others have filed them to where they can close. Should we look into carrying them?  

I'd be more open to the idea of these if there was ratings data for fully closed with the annoying part filed off as well

Yes . They are well made. And fun to play around with too. 
I have a GD90 , it is the gripper I take when we go on vacation. I wouldn’t mind having the GD70 and the GD80 also just for fun.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

Should we look into carrying them? 

Yes. I can attest that I would probably pick them up at least. Maybe you could even file the nubs off up front for a few bucks and offer them both ways. 

5小时前,坎农说道:

我们有机对其中 3 个进行评分。GD70 、GD80 和 GD90。这三款产品都有库存(未归档以进一步关闭),GD90 是较旧的型号。照片如下。 

最大最终数字确实很麻烦,而且它的弹跳足够大,我觉得每个级别都可以更好地表示为一个范围。而且这些不太可能都是一样的。我们对每个夹具的每个级别进行了多重评级。 

我发现这些装置制作精良,并且非常容易调整和使用。我确实希望它们像 TSG一样完全关闭,但正如其他人所展示的那样,只有一个小结点,您必须将其归档才能获得额外的 ROM。我认为其他人已经将它们归档到可以关闭的地方。我们考虑应该携带它们吗?  

May I ask when your GD90 was produced?

11 hours ago, Cannon said:

Interesting, thanks a lot for the numbers. 

For people who want to incorporate these grippers into their routine: I can easily 1.5" block set Level 5 on my GD90, probably I can even CCS it just never tried. And I filed the stoppers on mine, so the handles touch. Yet... my current TSG MMS is in the lower 150s. Even if my setting skills are poor, that's a big difference. So be careful with assessing your TSG strength based on compression spring grippers. 

And I said it many times; I really like mine, it's the perfect warmup and travel gripper. 🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cannon said:

Please note this is a gd80 light and not a normal gd 80. The normal version has steel spring caps, not plastic. The spring is also red but I don't know if it is identical, in short it is possible that it is not the same RGC between the two models.

• Thanks 1

Probably just a difference between generations. For example, my 2022 GD90 doesn't have any rings on the handles. (but the resistance can be different indeed. if one thing is different another can be as well)

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

The gd 80 light and the normal coexisted for several years and the gd 80 normal is still on sale today. The light is therefore not the new model, probably a cheaper version.

Edited by Maiche 25

11 hours ago, ming said:

May I ask when your GD90 was produced?

I don’t know. This one was sent in on Rate and Return. It’s not mine. 

8 hours ago, matek said:

For people who want to incorporate these grippers into their routine: I can easily 1.5" block set Level 5 on my GD90, probably I can even CCS it just never tried. And I filed the stoppers on mine, so the handles touch. Yet... my current TSG MMS is in the lower 150s. Even if my setting skills are poor, that's a big difference. So be careful with assessing your TSG strength based on compression spring grippers. 

And I said it many times; I really like mine, it's the perfect warmup and travel gripper. 🙂

This just made me think of something.

You mentioned the GD90 being a perfect warmup and travel gripper, because of it's all-in-one design - but it does not directly translate over to torsion spring grippers. The only thing similar would be an adjustable TSG like the Standard adjustable, or your own custom Stainless adjustable you had made. I imagine it isn't too hard to change the mount with the headless socket screws, but still more work than the quick and easy adjustment of the GD90 or similar compression spring gripper.

What if someone could make an adjustable TSG that, instead of using the allen key to adjust the socket screws, used a ratcheting mechanism with a dial or button, that the handles could easily slide up and down the spring legs and lock into position, at will. Similar to adjusting the seat or head rest on a car or weight machine at the gym, with notches that lock with the different height settings? I can't imagine this would be too awfully difficult to design and build, but I think it would be extremely useful and an amazing TSG competitor or replacement of the compression spring and normal socket screw adjustables. The adjustment would take mere seconds with a dial/level/button to adjust the handles up and down.

@Cannon

That might be tricky. My first thought would be make a rack and pinion system by cutting teeth into the spring leg then a small gear can wind the handle up and down the leg, the problem would be that these teeth would significantly weaken the leg, so you wouldn't be able to go very high towards the coil without risking a catastrophic failure

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 12:54 AM, John Knowlton said:

Yes . They are well made. And fun to play around with too. 
I have a GD90 , it is the gripper I take when we go on vacation. I wouldn’t mind having the GD70 and the GD80 also just for fun.

Great idea actually. The other time I took 7-8 of them with me I wrapped them in cloth lol... Didn't want them to get scratched or dented. 

• Like 1