Overtraining?

strongkeith

Overtraining and injury is worrying at the moment, training grip with grippers 3 days a week and forearms once a week soon to be two times a week, do i risk overtraining? should i cut gripper training to twice a week? Would I add pinch gripping on my gripper day or forearms day? 

You can best answer this question by yourself.

Did you make progress or not?

Learn to listen to your body and dont read to much bodybuilding magacines

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GripAustria said:

Did you make progress or not?

Learn to listen to your body and dont read to much bodybuilding magacines

I agree with this......grip work is very "personal" and what works for one man (Joe Kinney) may destroy another man's hands and lead to injuries.

Bottom line: if something "works" for you, just do it!  Don't let others dissuade you from doing your thing just because it did not work for them.

For me:  Crush grip is trained either once every 3 days OR once every 4 days...depending how my hands "feel".

• Like 2

It's hard to know when you are recovered from grippers since they don't give you any soreness. You will have to figure out how fast you can recover from grippers by yourself. People are different and have different ability to recover. 

Do a lot of contrast baths, at least two per day and they should be of high quality. Meaning they should be extreme, very cold and very hot that is.

Also, you need to be "greasing the groove". Which means that you need to train at high frequenzy, doing lots of low rep sets without going to failure. Grip strength is monstly about how effective your central nervous system is. Thats why you see people who are not "big" (big meaning strongman big) who can close very heavy grippers and pinch lift a lot of iron.

Don't think that you need to be fully recovered everytime you train. Staying free from injuries should be the number one priority but if you want to get strong you'll need to push yourself to the limit. That also means that you sometimes need to train when you're not fully recovered. With that said the hands have a weird way of recovering. They recover much faster than other body parts.

Then there's of course always going to be induvidual differences.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your input, It was one concern since im not feeling it post the next day i was worried of overtraining without knowing it. But i'd take it how you all say and play it how I feel seems 2 days rest is enough for me at the moment. 

Fist of Fury I used to do alot of contrast baths when playing rugby they helped alot with recovery I usually throw it in when ive had a big lift the previous day. I've pushed all my other muscles except my hands so recovery and feeling is all a little new so as you said i just gotta feell it out

Fist said it best. I was training 4-5 days a week and I was seeing small gains. But once I left the gym and stopped training everyday.  ( i rest 3-5 days) I've noticed my strength has increased. 

I haven't squatted over a year and I hit a 425 yesterday. I train exclusively axle and thick bar for alot of stuff when I do train and I hit 505lb deadlift with 5-10 pounds in the tank. I don't even train regular bar deadlifts. I'm clearly an anomaly. Everyone is different.  

There are more variables. Volume - intensity - frequency. At least one variable has to be high and one low for me.