Quest to close the Frankenstein 8mm

Paul Markowski

Pretty good grip day today.  Used the Frankenstein 8mm on my off-hand for 6 sets of holds while my dominant hand used the Lil' Monster for 4 sets and the Frankenstein for 2 sets.  Really starting to feel just how tough that Lil' Monster gripper is....those 5 second holds feel like an eternity and what a great relief it is when I am able to let go of the hold.  Great training!!!!

Change:  the only change in today's training was that instead of using the regular handle that Silvis sent along with the Frankenstein 8mm spring, I switched it to the Thick Handled Beyond-The-Range handle....whoa....quite a bit of difference.

Very strong work today with the Frankenstein and Lil' Monster Grippers.  Was able to "control" the Lil' Monster with dominant hand a lot better for a count of 10-seconds!  I do my best to do "holds" and not negatives with these grippers.....I may not keep the grippers totally shut for the entire hold but I try and control that eventual "spreading of the gripper handles" to the extent that I consider the rep a "hold" and not a true "negative" rep.

• Like 1

I've modified my CoC4 gripper in this kind of way, that little thing allows you to get an even more efficient and productive workout.

I put that gripper in a vise and force him shut, when i am not already strong enough i assist in a simple way with my other hand just as much i needed it.

You can use it for positive assistet reps too, just help with the other hand as much as you needed it, or you can perform assist MMS kind of reps, just as you want.

This device gives you an easy possibility to perform assistet reps in all kind of ways with the help of your other hand.

I think it can help you too in a great way.

I like reading your blog, your approach is similar to mine, heavy negativs, by the way what do you think is, by guess, the rating of your Little Monster Gripper?

All the best!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GripAustria said:

I've modified my CoC4 gripper in this kind of way, that little thing allows you to get an even more efficient and productive workout.

I put that gripper in a vise and force him shut, when i am not already strong enough i assist in a simple way with my other hand just as much i needed it.

You can use it for positive assistet reps too, just help with the other hand as much as you needed it, or you can perform assist MMS kind of reps, just as you want.

This device gives you an easy possibility to perform assistet reps in all kind of ways with the help of your other hand.

I think it can help you too in a great way.

I like reading your blog, your approach is similar to mine, heavy negativs, by the way what do you think is, by guess, the rating of your Little Monster Gripper?

All the best!

According to Functional Hand Strength (the store I bought it from), it is rated somewhere between a COC #4 and the Original Monster Gripper (which was even bigger and tougher to close than the Lil' Monster)....so it is tough to put a number on what it takes to close it....one of the handles is also filed down so that it is a "beyond-the-range" gripper as well....

Your gripper looks awesome!  I like that both handles have been modified....the re-bar handle looks very functional....how did you attach that re-bar to the handle?  Weld?

• Like 1

It's not welded.

It fits with the smallest amount possible. Fits but it's not loose in any way. I've filed the second handle of the gripper a bit and used a hammer too put the pipe on, no welding is needed. Holds perfectly. 

It's an alu pipe. After that i put that pipe in a vise and simply pressed it down and brought it in the form, visible on the picture. 

20170320_064431.jpg

20170320_064856.jpg

• Like 1

That flat handle looks great for leverage purposes.....may try to do what you did to one of my heavier grippers.  Thanks!

Video taped one set with the Lil' Monster Gripper today.  It was a 10-second braced hold in the Power Rack.  Felt pretty good.  

Fast Forward the video to about the 35 second mark as it took about that much time to get ready for the set.....

Lil_Monster_10_Second_Holds_03_21_17.MOV