Planning for 2017 AZ Cactus Grip Comp

acorn

Hello all, I finally got the ok from the significant other to start planning the spring comp. This thread will be to nail down event selection, etc as well as get an idea of who is interested in coming and get some event feedback. I am also open to suggestions for events not listed. Will likely finalize on 3-5 events total. I already have a pretty cool idea for this years custom trophies as well.

AZ Cactus Grip 2017

Date: April 1st, 2017

Possible Events

Grippers - 20mm set - Likely

2HP DL - Euro pinch device - Likely

DO Axle DL

1H Axle DL

2" Crusher DL

Inch Handle DL

Medley

Saxon pinch DL

Flask pinch DL - 1H or 2H

FBBC Anvil DL

- Open to other suggestions

Depending on interest we would have at minimum Mens Open and Womens Open divisions, Though that may be expanded to include Novice and Elite classes as well if expected turnout was good.

Let me know if you are interested in competing and what events you are interested in.

- Aaron

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, acorn said:

Hello all, I finally got the ok from the significant other to start planning the spring comp. This thread will be to nail down event selection, etc as well as get an idea of who is interested in coming and get some event feedback. I am also open to suggestions for events not listed. Will likely finalize on 3-5 events total. I already have a pretty cool idea for this years custom trophies as well.

AZ Cactus Grip 2017

Date: April 1st, 2017

Possible Events

Grippers - 20mm set - Likely

2HP DL - Euro pinch device - Likely

DO Axle DL

1H Axle DL

2" Crusher DL

Inch Handle DL

Medley

Saxon pinch DL

Flask pinch DL - 1H or 2H

FBBC Anvil DL

- Open to other suggestions

Depending on interest we would have at minimum Mens Open and Womens Open divisions, Though that may be expanded to include Novice and Elite classes as well if expected turnout was good.

Let me know if you are interested in competing and what events you are interested in.

- Aaron

I would go if you include 2" crusher and any kind of hub lift. Thanks cant wait for those grippers for my son!!!

1 minute ago, Kluv#0 said:

I would go if you include 2" crusher and any kind of hub lift. Thanks cant wait for those grippers for my son!!!

Duly noted. Would love it if you could join us.

I checked tracking earlier and they were still enroute. I think you guys are really gonna like them. They are purty. :)

- Aaron

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acorn said:

Duly noted. Would love it if you could join us.

I checked tracking earlier and they were still enroute. I think you guys are really gonna like them. They are purty. :)

- Aaron

lot's of snow(for us 2-3 inches) here in Portland - has literally shut down schools,etc. most likely push back package delivery until Monday. Thanks again

Edited by Kluv#0

Sorry to hear that. Stay warm, stay safe. 

Was about 80deg here today. Supposed to cool off some this weekend though.

- Aaron

Just now, acorn said:

Sorry to hear that. Stay warm, stay safe. 

Was about 80deg here today. Supposed to cool off some this weekend though.

- Aaron

I would love to live in warm climate but Wife and son dislike warm weather. Funny thing to tell- I had bookmarked a video of hammer sledges about 3 months ago and found out a couple days ago it was you(Acorn)- the one where you have a 12 lb sledge and doing hammer curls over head, etc with it-unreal strength. I showed it to my neighbor who does sledgehammers and he said no effing way LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Thanks for putting this together - I'd like to attend. All those events events look good to me and I'd like to add to the list of possibles the 2" v-bar and tips tester. Maybe skip the anvil since I don't own one at the moment.

I will be contacting some friends to climb or canyon after your comp, so if you think you might want to change the date please let me know as soon as you can.

Awesome, would love to have you. The date is pretty set right now due to commitments on the other weekends around this time of the year.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, acorn said:

Is there no one else interested in this?

- Aaron

Definitely interested but still have the "laid off Albertan" thing happening. Your comp is on my radar though as is Nates. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shoggoth said:

Definitely interested but still have the "laid off Albertan" thing happening. Your comp is on my radar though as is Nates. 

Understand buddy. Hope you can make it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have the venue nailed down now. Will be holding it at Evolution Fitness in Tucson unless some issue arises. Will likely have to push start time out some to work around an event they were already going to hold in the morning though. Once time is finalized I will put it up. 

3rd Event will most likely be 2" FBBC Crusher. Will finalize by end of this month. 

Also Have a pretty neat idea for the custom trophies this year. Can't wait to make those.

http://evolutiontucson.com/

- Aaron

• Like 1

I think I get home from Europe the day before.  I'd like to make this if it works out on timing.

3 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

I think I get home from Europe the day before.  I'd like to make this if it works out on timing.

Would love to have you if you can make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to hold a training session at my house this coming weekend, but I'm down with a cold, and other commitments got in the way.  If anybody in the Phoenix area is looking for some pointers, ping me, and we can arrange a day/time.

13 hours ago, bwwm said:

Was going to hold a training session at my house this coming weekend, but I'm down with a cold, and other commitments got in the way.  If anybody in the Phoenix area is looking for some pointers, ping me, and we can arrange a day/time.

Feel better buddy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Aaron - so third event is 2" FBBC?  

I will reach out to Bryan, and that other gentleman in N. Phoenix.  I know Bryan has been doing Crossfit stuff down the street from me. 

I've started getting some more focus on my training, and I'm hoping to hit 220# on 2HP.  

20 hours ago, bwwm said:

Hey Aaron - so third event is 2" FBBC?  

I will reach out to Bryan, and that other gentleman in N. Phoenix.  I know Bryan has been doing Crossfit stuff down the street from me. 

I've started getting some more focus on my training, and I'm hoping to hit 220# on 2HP.  

Yes third event is 2" Crusher DL.  Cool!

I believe we are about 6 weeks out now. I going to try and have the online entry form up later today if I  can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll pay you in person tomorrow.  Also, if I get that anvil, we can throw it around in your front yard. ;-)

• Like 1

Making good progress on the trophies. Trophy top will be larger scale custom all Aluminum gripper I am making and on wood base Martin is going to do. It's not too late to get your entry in if you are coming. But you better get on it.

17195360_1604096979603894_566312369_o.thumb.jpg.5fc3641ce7a18153131175e5a5345822.jpg

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

• Like 4

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Entries in and Paid:

Durry Becker

Philip Khoshaba

Martin Braun

Steve Callahan

Tanner Merkle

Brandon Azevedo

• Like 2

I expect Phil will probably execute the heaviest above-bodyweight gripper close in history.

• Like 1