Pinch blocks

Aleksandar Milosevic

Hey guys, I've did some reading on the forums, and the average consensus for 1h and 2h pinch block width is 54 mm. It kinda seemed strange to me, since in my gym, I do all my pinching with old, Soviet rubberized plates, the 25 kg (55 pounds) plate is about 10 cm (100 mm!) wide, and that's what I usually lift for reps and holds. My hand is close to 20 cm (7.87 inches).

So, now I want to build a pinch implement, and I can't decide on the width. I have to say I think the Flask implement is ideal, but I have no means of buying it, and I'm not going to copy someone's idea and hard work, even for myself. So, can someone tell me just the width of the Flask, because on the videos I've seen, it looks like ideal width for me.

Second part of the question, is it possible to build an implement which can be used for maximal pinch grip training + pinch biceps/wrist curls, something like the Red Rafter, but with an Olympic bar width sleeve, did anyone try that? Because I would like to make something like that.

You can show me your own pinch implements, give your opinion on pinch training, since most of you are stronger and more experienced than me. I will employ a professional to make it, have that in mind, so I have a lot of options.

Thanks in advance!

As far as the first question...it says right on the BSS site.

http://www.barrelstrengthsystems.com/products/the-flask

"The Flask is a compact, 2.25" fixed-width pinch device designed to mimic the profile and thickness of two 45lb plates pinched together, just like the classic grip feat."

So...57mm.

The owner, Gil Goodman, has been very supportive of the grip community, even going as far as producing videos that show how to create DIY pinch blocks for those not ready to make a purchase.

Thanks man, really stupid of me not to see that, and I have visited the site. If I was in the US atm, or a normal European country, I'd get one today. I've seen his video on DIY blocks, but I want something aluminium or iron. 

I'm not sure if it's cost prohibitive to you, but I charge $37.50 to ship a flask internationally. If you want to build your own, I can give you some tips, too. Making money is nice, but my goal is to grow the sport.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Squeezus said:

I'm not sure if it's cost prohibitive to you, but I charge $37.50 to ship a flask internationally. If you want to build your own, I can give you some tips, too. Making money is nice, but my goal is to grow the sport.

Hello Gil, and thanks for answering! It's the Serbian customs, it basically has no rules so I'm not sure if the item is even going to arrive to my place. Plus I'm getting charged at least 40% for tax and customs fee. When I ordered my fat gripz, which are a lot lighter and they were about 30$, they arrived to me 3 and half months later, and that was with the old law, a couple of years ago...

If you could give me your tips about building one in the PM, or at least something similar, I would be very grateful to you. Plus, I'm coming to the US next year, and than I'll be able to buy a lot of things on my list, but while I'm here, I have to improvise and work with what I have.

Thanks again!