New Ironmind Red Nails

Buccos1

Has anyone had one of these rated (or rated one) yet?  After having bent a bunch in IMPs, I think I have a pretty good idea of where they are at, but am curious as to something a little more official.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Has anyone had one of these rated (or rated one) yet?  After having bent a bunch in IMPs, I think I have a pretty good idea of where they are at, but am curious as to something a little more official.  

What's your guess?  Just curious.  Asking for a friend.

3 hours ago, Mike Sharkey said:

I'm curious also.  I've probably bent like 10 new ones...several back to back with spirals.  

I know you have also Carl.

I'd rather not influence someone else's guess...so I'm using the "spoiler" feature.  

After the initial shock of encountering them has past...I put them at...

Spoiler

480-490 if the average spiral is 420.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mike Sharkey said:

Ballpark ... I'd say 450-465.  But these are a lot different the entire way through the bend, when compared to every other Red I've bent for the past 7-8 ? years.  These things fight you the entire way until the end.  They feel almost identical to a 5/16 x 7" O1 bar @ 465lbs.  And the drill rod in the 455-475 range is pretty similar throughout the entire range of the bend.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

@EJ Livesey has to have cal'd a few i would think

I'm thinking the same thing and would be anxious to hear what he has to say.

I'm up to .302 drill rod in imps and the crush is a bitch compared to crs, it sounds like they are probably drill rod.

Edit: you can probably tell by sanding or grinding them. O1 drill rod sparks are super orange, compared to mostly yellow with crs.

Edited by wobbler
Sparks

On the subject , is anyone rating steel these days in a similar way that CPW and others rate grippers?  I was working on my own rig, but it's on the back burner unexpectedly so if anyone accepts bars for rating, I'd be first in line (with check in hand)

10 minutes ago, wobbler said:

I'm up to .302 drill rod in imps and the crush is a bitch compared to crs, it sounds like they are probably drill rod.

Edit: you can probably tell by sanding or grinding them. O1 drill rod sparks are super orange, compared to mostly yellow with crs.

EJ had mentioned they were likely 1018 crs.   Tom sent the last of Anton's cert bars to EJ.  I think his work has occupied him.  I'm hoping @acromegaman s rig is ready to go.

• Like 1

It's close @anwnate. I tested some bars this past Sunday and I was getting consistent results. I am currently using some custom made clamp blocks which make it possible to load a bar in seconds but I want to test the results against the standard cable clamps others have used before I decide a definitive way that I'll be doing this. I'll post updates when my clamps and more material comes in.

• Like 3