Introducing the Fixator - Anvil adapter

Grind

I always wondered why anvil (trainer) cone lifts aren’t that popular in the grip community. Classic anvil lifts are really hardcore and cool as hell in my opinion and looking at these lifts and pictures of these lifts it became clear to me why the anvil trainer lifts are different from the classic anvil lifts. 

Eric Roussin made a great video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMBycC4GB0Q about anvil lifting and reviewed a few anvil trainers. All these anvil trainers are placed in the center of the loading pin, attached with a carabiner or fixated to the loading pin (sorinex anvil and horne top). Instead of creating a training lift that mimics the classic anvil lift without owning a real anvil the lift seems to be more like a vbar variation. As soon as the weight breaks the floor the implement will start to rotate and this won’t happen when lifting a classic anvil. 

A real anvil is a solid block of steel and lifting this tool by the horne will make the anvil tilt. This is something you won’t get when lifting with an anvil trainer. Also when attaching the anvil trainer with a carabiner to the loading pin the cone and the loading pin won’t move as one solid block. The carabiner allows movement between these separate parts. Pinning the anvil cone directly to the loading pin is a step forward as the separate parts will now act as one solid training tool. Still I’m missing the characteristic element of a classic anvil lift, the tilt. 

This is why I designed a very simple (adapter) that will transform your anvil trainer into a sturdy training device. The adapter will fixate the anvil cone to the loading pin and by moving the anvil cone further away from the centre of the loading pin the training device will tilt when breaking the floor. So now we have a grip implement that acts as one solid block and tilts as a real anvil would do when lifting it by the horn. 

The anvil cone will be bolted on top of the adapter. On the inside of the adapter you need to use spacers to make sure the anvil cone won’t slide from side to side. The loading pin will be attached to the adapter with a quick release pin, as seen on the flask. Still not as cool as having and lifting a real anvil but you can now create a grip implement that mimics this real anvil lift a bit closer. 

Edited by Grind
  • Like 12

It's nice to see some likes, thnx. I'm more curious about what gripboard members thinks about the adapter. Do you think the adapter can be a asset for training with an anvil trainer?
Would be nice to see more member making there own fixator and lifting with it. 

Edited by Grind

Looks really neat! How are the pieces inside the adapter held in place? I couldn't see any welds...

• Like 1

I'm not able to weld so I used PU construction glue. This stuff is really strong. You could also use 2 component metal glue if you need something stronger. 

• Like 1

Drill through and rivet, bolt, or self tapping screws if you want to get a good forearm workout in.

PU glue may not hold well long term with large temperature swings, if you end up shipping somewhere cold for example. Coefficient of thermal expansion of the metal and the glue is very different.

Edited by wobbler
Bolt

For training purpose it will suffice I think. For the competition next year I will let someone put welds on the adapter. 
I think I won't use a carabiner hook anymore on the anvil trainer. 

• 4 months later...