Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Jose Cabrera

anwnate

Today's profile covers Jose Cabrera. 

Once again, I've had the pleasure of meeting the subject of a profile.  Mike Sharkey introduced us back in 2012.  I believe at (or right before) my Red Nail Cert.  At the time, Sharkey was just introducing Jose to bending.  Jose's appearance belies his true age.  He can easily pass for someone 10 years his Jr.  I know for sure that this leads to many people underestimating him…both in Grip, and in Martial Arts.  Most people are intimidated by size…but if Jose's life attitude was different, HE would be the guy you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

For years, Jose has trained Boxing, Balintawak Arnis and 7 star Mantis Kung Fu.  As if that wasn't enough, he recently has taken on Thai Boxing AND Jiu Jitsu in his spare time.  Honestly, I had to look up several of those Martial Art styles.  I think the moral here is that his Martial Arts Journey is continuous.  Having an end point would actually defeat the purpose of his journey.

Jose's bending has come a long way in the last four years…rising from 60d's to the spiral Red Nails.  Nearly a purist, he bends with light wraps, often IMPs (Iron Mind Pads) or less.  Jose took down an FBBC 1/4" Square CRS  in a single IMP…a feat that is both challenging physically and mentally.  This bend falls in the category of a commitment bend…as you really feel the bar on your fingers.

That said… you will rarely see his name on a "list."  His grip/bending has been a personal journey, satisfaction stemming from overcoming goals he sets before him.  In fact, I had talk him into allowing some public Youtube vids so I could add a few links to the profile…(like this 45lb Hub Clean and Press.)

Before handing you over to Jose, I'd like to mention something about Jose "the person".  This past June, while competing at SJ3, Jose displayed impeccable manners, and was extremely respectful to myself, my wife and family.  He spent a significant amount of time with my aging father-in-law (Peter) who is slipping due to Alzheimer's Disease.  He did this on his own, with no prompting or fuss, treating him with tremendous dignity.  To this day, Peter still brings up Jose…though the details are very fuzzy for him now.  I thank Jose very much for that kindness.

Jose final pic.jpg

7 Questions to get to know Jose.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Gripboard name: Jose Cabrera

Height:  5'7" (170cm)

Weight: 160lbs (72.5kg)

Hand Size:  7 1/4"  (18.5cm)  both hands

Location: Queens/New York  (I was born in Harlem and raised in the Bronx.)

Relationship: Girlfriend

Occupation:  I am a carpenter and professional hustler.  I've worked all kinds of random jobs to survive in the craziness of NYC.  At one point in my life I was an aggressive hoodlum.  After getting locked up and doing a nice stint on probation, I got my shit together and grew up.

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

Hmmm, my grip training began about 5 years ago.  I was researching the most effective methods of training the hand for martial arts applications.  The first book I read on the subject was Brookfield's first work.  It was like the spark that lit a wildfire.  

Shortly after i ran into the Diesel Crew site.  Then Adam T. Glass. The greatest influence that made me truly serious was training with Sharkey (Mike).  He taught me to be extremely detailed in this.  As most of us know, technique in all physical pursuits is paramount.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

That's tough. I would be happy to reverse a 1/4" square CRS in one IMP and pinch 2x45s.

Also…if it's in my cards…I'd like to lift the INCH.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

I have a fairly complex training program based around my MA training.

I begin all sessions with some form of traditional stance training for several minutes ie Horse Stance.

I will then do my primary strength work.  This changes according to my focus; right now I'm squatting three times a week.

Them I do some form of assistance work based on my focus and/or imbalances im feeling creeping up. 

I always superset grip work with my lifts/movements to save time and take advantage of a primed nervous system.  Depending on what grip "day" I'm on, I will usually finish up my day with some iron hand/body work.

The following day is conditioning in the form of KB sport work and shadow boxing/forms...maybe some full-contact sparring if my training partner is around. So to sum it up…a workout may look like this:

Day 1

Horse Stance (3 minutes)

Clean and press + grippers

Squa t+ pinch

Weighted pullups

Dips

Iron palm

Stretching

Day 2

Holding up the sky (kung fu stance) (3 minutes)

Kettlebell long cycle (6 minutes) 2×24kg

Sanchin Kata

Iron hand

long stretching session

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I love to read. I go through about 5 to 6 books a month.

I enjoy video games and craft beer.

Dominoes with the grandparents is pretty awesome too.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Loosely quoting Chris Rice, "test less, train more." I used to constantly test if I'd gotten stronger and it lead to a huge host of RSI's.

All training is about the process, climbing the mountain if you will. As new guys come into this, I feel it's our responsibility to make sure they understand this…not only for their safety, but to assure their success.

One other thing I'd like to mention is how aggressive I've been in the past. There is no need to be arguing with fellow members without having the full story.  We all need to make it our business to make the Grip Board a welcoming place to new people, and a place where our members will stay. I've made some awesome friends and learned many lessons being around you guys (virtually and personally). I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I've been an asshole to in the past.  I was a grumpy jerk.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

I can't pick just one, I want my whole NYC crew profiled!  One by one, they need to be known!

Thanks Jose.  Fellow NYC crewmember Anthony Clarino has got the call.  To be continued…

• Like 16

Awesome profile! Jose is a great guy and I'm proud to call him a friend. He's also very strong in many ways aside from just having strong hands.

• Like 3

Great profile for a great guy! As Anthony just said, I too am very glad to have Jose as a friend and training partner! And as Nate said, most dark alleys flee from Jose -  I credit Jose among the great group of guys who've strongly aided and enriched my grip and strength journey - a stand up guy with huge character - Im lookin forward to the next profile too - "The Beast of Beechurst"

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:36 PM, Jose Cabrera said:

And Nate, you know Pops is def my favorite person at the Brous House, thats my homie!

We come for Nate, but we stay for pops.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great profile Jose!  

Any friend of Nate's is a friend of mine... Salute brother!   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Jose Cabrera Nice read!

I noticed you said Iron Hands and Iron Palms. I used to think they are basically the same thing. Or you mean something else?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...