Where to hold double leathers to generate force?

Briso

Hi guys, 

Up to now I've used iron mind pads in all my bends. 

I've delayed using any other form of wraps in order to condition my hands as much as possible. 

However,  recently tried to use double suedes and combinations of double wraps (suede and leather) 

Im finding though that using double suedes and leathers creates a much thicker wrap than my previous well battered ironmind wraps. 

This might be a silly question, but is there a different method of holding thicker double wraps like this, other than the tutorial video which Sean Cashman has on the important videos in this forum? 

I'm finding that my thicker grip means I can't grab the wrap or place my index finger on the steel like before. In fact it feels I'm getting zero wrist torque but instead feel I'm just compressing the ends of the double wraps in more of a compression / squeezing motion. 

Should I hold the thicker wraps out at the ends? 

Can anyone help me with this?

Have just spent ages tonight trying to bend in the new double leather combinations and I'm just getting no power whatsoever. 

Thanks

Brian 

Edited by Briso
Typo
  • Like 2

Definitely a different grip.  I wrap doubles a 1/2 inch closer to the end of the bar (1.5" in) and use much more of a pistol grip.  

• Like 4

Good question Brian & as always Mike has a great insight.  I'm like the least technical guy ever... more like a force of nature.  😆

(I think we discussed that before)😎

But anyways... here's my take.

The thicker wraps are gonna change your leverages somewhat due to the thickness moving yer hands out farther.  You have to experiment & figure out what feels right for yer frame & leverages... thicker isn't always better of course.   Too thick and you kick yer hands out so far you lose leverage.  Too thin and you don't gain enough leverage or pain tolerance to really hit the steel and apply all yer strength.  

Experiment with different wraps/ combos until it feels right... you have to strike a balance.  

Good luck my brother and let us know how it goes!! 

Rob 

• Like 2

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 0:49 AM, Mike Sharkey said:

Definitely a different grip.  I wrap doubles a 1/2 inch closer to the end of the bar (1.5" in) and use much more of a pistol grip.  

Thanks Mike! :-) 

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 1:39 AM, robertmiller67 said:

Good question Brian & as always Mike has a great insight.  I'm like the least technical guy ever... more like a force of nature.  😆

(I think we discussed that before)😎

But anyways... here's my take.

The thicker wraps are gonna change your leverages somewhat due to the thickness moving yer hands out farther.  You have to experiment & figure out what feels right for yer frame & leverages... thicker isn't always better of course.   Too thick and you kick yer hands out so far you lose leverage.  Too thin and you don't gain enough leverage or pain tolerance to really hit the steel and apply all yer strength.  

Experiment with different wraps/ combos until it feels right... you have to strike a balance.  

Good luck my brother and let us know how it goes!! 

Rob 

Thanks Robert! Will start playing about and see how I go! :-)