Chasing the Red Nail

Ferdinand Avenarius

I finally got my beginner's bending  bag from Fat Bastard. I closed a yellow nail easy and got a blue to 60 degrees (on no sleep, no preworkout, no warmup). Would anyone have an estimate as to how far away I am from the Red Nail? Maybe some tips or resources for training?  Thanks in advance - I am pretty new

nails.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand Avenarius
  • Like 3

That's a difficult question to answer.

Success in Bending is determined by...

Power,

Technique,

Hand Conditioning...pretty much in that order.

If you are exceptionally strong, and can dial in your technique, you can expect the time between a Blue and Red to be short.

Additionally, you can likely get by with less than optimal technique.

If you are less strong, you will need to have your technique down cold...and take the time to build up the power necessary to take down a Red.  This could be a matter of months, or years, depending on your current level.

Hand conditioning is very important, but can be achieved with time, no matter your strength level.

For the average person, the gap between the Blue and Red is very big.  Do not let this deter you.  If your journey is long...you will appreciate the accomplishment even more.  Good luck.

• Like 5

Hand conditioning is more important than I ever knew especially when I got into the bigger bars in single wraps.

• Like 2

By hand conditioning, do you guys mean that my hands need to get used to the pressure of the bars? Kind of like how you need to keep your skin in condition when doing high-rep GS-style Kettlebell work?

Mostly index fingers getting used to the pressure on the kink. There is also a big mental aspect to it when trying a bar you've never bent before. 

• Like 2