Who could lift this anvil?

Adam Juncker

This anvil has been in my family since we came across the pond about 100 years ago. It was all but forgotten until I uncovered it this weekend. It was sunk about 4 inches into the ground in an old Smithing shop on my family's property.

I painted the bottom because the rust was so excessive I did not want to risk further degradation. 

What's so special? It only weighs 97 lbs after all.

The horn is a little less than 5 inches long, and is 3.5 inches in diameter at the table- so the slope is very steep.  when you stand the anvil on the heel it sits completely vertical, no angle whatsoever. 

So who could lift this thing? and forget about pinching the table - it's a little over 5 inches wide. I know  I'm no anvil expert but this thing is ridiculous to lift.

I'm gonna bring it to Southern Squeeze 2017 for a little after-comp-parking-lot-challenge-fun. So come on with it!

20161101_185136.jpg

• Like 5

That is a pretty neat anvil! I think I (and quite a few others) could vbar lift it by the horn with no problem. A few years ago, I was allowed to lift a very similar anvil (I did not weigh it, but the farmer who owned it said it was about 100lbs) when I saw it at an estate sale. It had already been sold, but the elderly man who bought it was somewhat fascinated by my interest in lifting it by the horn. The horn looked exactly like the one you posted here. I have never seen a more extreme slope on a short horn. I chalked my hands (I used Dry Hands) and it went up pretty easily on both hands. High pulled it with my right hand, and was a hair away from turning it over at the top for an ugly clean. 

I didn't think much about lifting that anvil until you posted this. I figured since it was so light that it wasn't that much of a challenge to most grip guys. 

• Like 1

I was like, "I really want to lift this" then I saw the last paragraph. :)

• Like 3

There is one that is similar in shape of the horn at the local scrap and Iron/metal yard but it weights 184 lbs...there is no way anyone can lift it by the horn. I offered them $300 for it but quickly denied and said maybe if I doubled the price but no way I was paying $600 for an anvil that I might never lift

• Like 2

On 11/2/2016 at 9:19 AM, Lucasraymond said:

There is one that is similar in shape of the horn at the local scrap and Iron/metal yard but it weights 184 lbs...there is no way anyone can lift it by the horn. I offered them $300 for it but quickly denied and said maybe if I doubled the price but no way I was paying $600 for an anvil that I might never lift

Believe it or not, I was there earlier this week and I asked them if we could borrow it for the February comp, and they said it would be fine, so we shall see what this anvil has to offer!

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎02 at 9:19 AM, Lucasraymond said:

The good thing about anvils is that they keep their value. I've bought and sold a few over the past couple of years, and I've been able to sell all of them for at least their original purchase price.

• Like 1