2x25Kg Plate Pinch

Bill Piche

2x25Kg Plate Pinch  

45 members have voted

1. 1. 2x25Kg Plate Pinch

• pass
    • fail

Lift was done to full deadlift position and held there. Power was demonstrated. Loss of control at the top of the lift, after when held long enough, was so obvious it can raise a question was it a fail. I don't think so.

Bouncing off the floor is circumstantial evidence for loss of total control when lifting part is done and not something demanded in the rules or in the spirit of the lift in my opinion. Bouncing is not an issue here. It's not like weights should be placed on a glass plate or something. Weights were not dropped on purpose so there's no disrespect and nothing unsportsmanlike.

In my opinion the lift was good with a tiny blemish easily fixed for all who demand beauty throughout the feat and icing on the cake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I don't think anyone has questioned the strength of Jouni. However surely we must be able to criticize questionable (in some people's view) lifts even if they are performed by some of the strongest. To me it looked like he had more than enough strength to perform the lift even to a standard that I would classify as a strict but he just held them at lockout a bit too long. I strongly disagree with Bob's suggestion that those who failed the lift did so because of envy. I have not seen any indications of this in this section. For example my lift of 4x10k did not receive a single fail vote in spite my unpopularity here on the GB

You have an incredible ability to pat yourself on the back on basically everything you post- bravo!

I voted no. It was clear he has the strength to lift the plates and follow them down to the floor, but come on guys. The plates clearly slipped out of his hand at the top and even he looked at the camera unsure after it was all said and done. He just held them too long.

This isn't me being envious or jealous or anything. That's a badass lift and he clearly has the strength to lift the plates and will nail it properly with another video to clear up this confusion. Nothing but the upmost respect for the guy on my end. Just trying to protect the integrity of the rules, here.

Count for the amount of times I used the word clear in this post:  4

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

I voted no. It was clear he has the strength to lift the plates and follow them down to the floor, but come on guys. The plates clearly slipped out of his hand at the top and even he looked at the camera unsure after it was all said and done. He just held them too long.

This isn't me being envious or jealous or anything. That's a badass lift and he clearly has the strength to lift the plates and will nail it properly with another video to clear up this confusion. Nothing but the upmost respect for the guy on my end. Just trying to protect the integrity of the rules, here.

I counted 5. tsss

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

I think this thread is a great example of the need for a change in the voting system here.

At the time I type this there are 9 fail votes but not 9 comments explaining why they failed the feat. It would be really easy to add a box where you must explain your failing vote for it to be cast.

We should also make voting public so that people can be held accountable for the votes they cast on other people, this would prevent up or down voting someone just cause you don't like them or your friends and blindly up vote them.

I've had a few feats up for judging now that were clearly good like 19 yes and 1 no vote with no comment as to why, I assume someone doesn't like me and I have no way to follow up on the down votes other then asking why before the thread gets closed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

At the time I type this there are 9 fail votes but not 9 comments explaining why they failed the feat. It would be really easy to add a box where you must explain your failing vote for it to be cast.

1 hour ago, Anthony C. said:

Nice.

1 hour ago, Jared Goguen said:

I think this thread is a great example of the need for a change in the voting system here.

We should also make voting public so that people can be held accountable for the votes they cast on other people, this would prevent up or down voting someone just cause you don't like them or your friends and blindly up vote them.

I've had a few feats up for judging now that were clearly good like 19 yes and 1 no vote with no comment as to why, I assume someone doesn't like me and I have no way to follow up on the down votes other then asking why before the thread gets closed.

+1, have seen few votes where no lift is explained by "rule number 3" or so. Good idea about stopping the anonymous voting.

Yes, the plates started slipping due to Jouni holding them at the top for a second (exhibiting a more than required degree of control), but even after re-watching at 1/4 speed, his fingers clearly remained in contact with the plates all the way down, meeting or exceeding any definition I've seen of "follow" (rule #6). There are degrees of slippage when you are losing a pinch lift, it is not an all-or-nothing process. The screenshot on the left is the initial slippage, and the one on the right is just before contacting the floor. How many world-record or max-effort 1-hand pinch attempts are lowered daintily to the floor? Inevitably, there is some type of bounce.

J2x25pinch.jpg

So, if not some type of bias, mean-spiritedness or envy (in those who did not explain their "no" vote) what is going on here?:

• not reading the rules, particularly #6 (or perhaps not understanding the definition of "follow")?
  • using IPF or other rules to judge the lift, rather than comprehending and objectively looking at the lift through the lens of the rules as stated?
  • waiting to see how others voted before voting?

• Like 3

I think fail votes should list the rule number that was violated. You can write a novel on why you "feel" it was a bad lift, but unless it broke a rule, a fail vote is wrong. Don't like the rules, try to change them.

You could probably do this with the existing software. Pass is the first option, the next X options are simply "fail rule#1, fail rule#2.." 

• Like 1

I'm late to the party and didn't see it in time to vote.  I think the rules need to make clear "exactly" what we want here.  If a "silent set down" is going to be required simply state so in the rules.  Rules develop and change over time - if the current ones aren't clear enough - rewrite them until they are.

• Like 2

" It would be really easy to add a box where you must explain your failing vote for it to be cast. '

Not true. This software is very complex and a product-line so adding a box, etc. is not going to happen.  

I will now lock it per the rules -- remember I let it go longer for discussion and bent the rules a bit. ;)

• Like 2