Gold nail - out of bounds for "small guys"?

Briso

OK guys. I'm a "shortarse". 

Im 5, 7" and was approx 150lbs when I certed on the red.  

Im still highly motivated and consider the red a starting point for bigger and better things...... 

In my head I've set myself future steel bending goals. However I received a lot of publicity in my local area once I bent the red. 

As a result I've had countless people ask me when I'm going to bend the gold. I've tried to explain that the variation is absolutely astronomical......but lets face it.... The average person hadn't a clue about what we do. 

I acknowledge 110% I'm nowhere close to anywhere near the same league as the guys who are training for the gold.... 

However, I'm curious to know the dimensions of chest and arm length of those who have bent the gold or are attempting the gold.

Brian  

• Like 4

Anything is possible. Never doubt yourself. You want it, make a plan and get it done. The great thing about being a steel bender is, we make the impossible- possible.  

But to answer your question

chest: 51-52"

arms: 17-17.5 ninja edit this is bicep at the time of training

neck: 18-18.5

weight: 250-270 big fluctuation but I was always around that weight when training or attempting the gold. 

Ideally my arms would have been smaller and forearms bigger. Chest does not play a huge part in the crush. The legs are long enough that it doesn't take a whole lot of strength. Build your upper back and neck. You need that the most to get the steel moving. Everything else is a cake walk.  IMO the most two important things are: hand/skin toughness and a freakishly strong back. 

Edited by EJ Livesey
Bicep measurement not length
  • Like 6

I wasn't going to chime in, since I could be the furthest from a Gold Bend (actively trying)...but screw it...I'm stuck on the computer today.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "arm length", therefore I can't measure properly.  

There is arm sleeve length.  

There is arm reach (boxer) length.

There is arm circumference (around the bicep/tricep)  (17" for me).

There is arm distance from armpit to wrist line.

Looking at E.J.'s measurement, I'm not sure whether he measured around the arm or from armpit to this wrist line.  I used the second measurement.  If you mean reach or sleeve...it is wayyyy longer.

Measurements are cold.  For comparison, EJ's stats are to the right of mine.

chest: 51"               E.J.  chest: 51-52"

arms: 20.5"            E. J. arms: 17-17.5

neck: 20"                E.J.  neck: 18-18.5

weight: 265lbs       E. J  weight: 250-270

I'm a little sidetracked on my Gold Run, but at my strongest, I could Bend a "T" O-1 Drill Rod in Leathers.  That's STILL a step below the Gold.  And it's a brutal piece of steel.

E.J. and Alex Kilirov are definitely the top two DO benders at the moment, but I do disagree with E.J.'s list of important things.

I would put the ability to kink the Gold as first.

Most would call this flexibility, but the problem is actually twofold.  Chest measurement gives a ball park...but it doesn't accurately tell you the distance between your arms at the shoulders (Frame Size).  Basically, with all things equal...those with the largest frames will have a significant advantage.  Here's the thing... those with smaller than optimal (for the Gold) frames (which means almost everyone) will have to almost unhinge one shoulder to get the leverage necessary to get that kink in IMPs.  With 6-10 people in the world bending the Gold, that doesn't seem likely.  However, 95% of all Gold Bends have been done with (at minimum) leathers.  If you study the videos, very little of the benders hands are actually over the nail.  The amount of leverage gained from the derived force on the ends of the bar is ridiculous.  A leather gold bend and a IMP gold bend are completely different creatures.  This does not diminish the feat so much as it highlights the sheer mind blowing accomplishment of an actual Gold Nail Cert.  To be clear, at the moment, I doubt I could bend the Gold with a pair of sockets welded to crowbars.  It's that difficult...but not impossible.  So...if a bender with a smaller than ideal frame (nearly everyone), chooses to NOT unhinge a shoulder (for lack of a better word/explanation)...they are forced to grab the bar further from the ideal resting position in the hand...which nearly kills any mechanical advantage and ability a bender has to put pressure on the ends of the nails.  I actually think that such a bend (grabbing in from the ends of the bar), might be impossible for human ability at the moment.

So...while the kink is complex, it's not complicated.

If the Gold was shorter...or Alex was more flexible, I think he would have certed the Gold already.

If the Gold was shorter...or E.J. had a larger frame, I think he would have certed the Gold already.

I would put "freakishly strong back" in second place.  J.T., Paul, Tommy, and of course Alex and E.J. all have freakishly strong backs.

For example...here's J.T. lifting a 340lb Atlas stone.

JT stone.JPG

While important...I'd put pain tolerance, hand conditioning last.  

I've spent several months recently working on my hands and believe that anyone with the desire and patience can create the toughness for the Gold within six months. (IMO of course)

So...with all of that said (which was a lot), I believe I have a close to ideal frame to bend the Gold (not quite Shaw or Bergmann), but currently have two drawbacks.  One...I'm far away from being strong enough (FAR), and Two...I have a chronic heart condition which limits my ability to train in a myriad of ways.  While it's not very likely I can overcome this issue, I'm just dumb enough to keep trying.  

• Like 8

My arm measurements were actually bicep measurements NOT length. Length IMO plays no roll at all. 

After reading through Nate's post one thing stood out, unhinging the shoulder. IVe had to do this with my right shoulder. It's not totally out of the socket but it's close. 

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

Great question Brian & great insight from Nate & EJ! 

That's the $64,000 question & I wish I had the answer!  Like I said in my profile the Gold is like Mt. Everest... someone will cert it one day when the all the planets are in alignment!  

Like these guys said the sweep & crush aren't that bad but the kink... its an absolute beast!  Esp. In single Imps! (Which no one has managed to do far as I know) 😲

However, the journey is just as important as the destination... guys like us will never give up trying no matter what!  Bending is a tough racket... but the grind is what drives us. 

Nothing is impossible brother so keep grinding... we are stubborn enough to keep trying & enjoy the journey along the way! 

Cheers mate!  

• Like 2

Can you guys elaborate on the "one shoulder" thing?

Has anyone attempted to bend something like 5/16" CRS cut to 8-3/8"? Seems like if the length is the issue for the gold then you have to build up the kink strength at this length.  Surely one could build strength over time to have enough horsepower to kink it. 

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

Has anyone attempted to bend something like 5/16" CRS cut to 8-3/8"? Seems like if the length is the issue for the gold then you have to build up the kink strength at this length.  Surely one could build strength over time to have enough horsepower to kink it. 

Yes. But with drill rod since there is a million more options 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...