home made axle - collars

richcottrell

I have a home made Axle which is just a big piece of galvanized black pipe...

my Collars are currently just some Pony Spring claps, but  just today I started using the "Home Depot Axle" for Zercher squats.  
I have a few rubber olympic plates so I can drop it on the floor when I am done.  My problem is the Spring Collars can not take the drop without loosening up each time.

I was wondering if anyone has had success in using normal olympic collars on these slightly smaller diameter black pipes?
 More specifically,
I am wondering which ones  work well?
and which ones will not stay tight?

thanks for any insight you might have

Rich, the spin type work well, you can usually find them for twenty dollars a set.

Rico

8 minutes ago, rico300zx said:

Rich, the spin type work well, you can usually find them for twenty dollars a set.

Rico

when you say the "spin type", do you mean the old York style that I see being used on the Euro all the time?

Yes

This style works well on different pin sizes too. 

IMG_1632.PNG

• Like 1

lockjaws dont fit my Rouge axle. spinlocks or any kind of screw down type fat bastard makes some that i use

29 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

lockjaws dont fit my Rouge axle. spinlocks or any kind of screw down type fat bastard makes some that i use

Might be because mine are $15 knock offs that they work. 

Thanks guys for all the advice from the trenches...

I would never buy a lock jaw product again.   A few years ago I bought a set of their standard weight size ones via Amazon.   They literally broke in half the first time I used them. Amazon gave me a 100% refund, but I was not willing to buy them again...

If the smaller size "standard" bar was the problem, they should just NOT sell them in that size.   They lost a customer for sure...

(Actually is kind of funny, as "standard size" now days means "sub-standard" as all gyms use the Olympic plates.... But we can save that for another day)

either way, I will look for some of those old York style collars.   that said , while I hate the idea of buying something that "might" work, the idea of changing weights with less work and not tools needed is very attractive. 

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Always use quality spin collars. Otherwise you will be surprised how heavy the axle lift will feel at competitions. Anything other than properly secured spin collars will change the dynamics of the lift and make it easier (double overhand). Spin collars when secured tightly increase the torque by preventing the plates from sliding relative to the bar. For similar reasons always use full size 450mm diameter plates wherever possible.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Always use quality spin collars. Otherwise you will be surprised how heavy the axle lift will feel at competitions. Anything other than properly secured spin collars will change the dynamics of the lift and make it easier (double overhand). Spin collars when secured tightly increase the torque by preventing the plates from sliding relative to the bar. For similar reasons always use full size 450mm diameter plates wherever possible.

I disagree.

There are many new ish collars on the market they will hold tight on an axle that is 2" or 1.9".

I have personally used, tested, owned, and built my own collars that are as good if not better then spin locks.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting a set of those proloc collars from Sorinex. Thanks for the input everyone.

yes they fit my "depot axle" and yes they seen tight so far.  

I do worry about the plastic tightening knobs holding up over the years, but it's just me using them and if there are gyms out there using these prolocs, I guess we would have heard about those knobs failing by now...

thanks again