Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Robert Miller

anwnate

Awaiting word from Ivan, Juha Lehtimäki has requested...

Today's profile...Robert Miller.  

I've been extremely lucky that fate has allowed me to meet so many incredibly talented and determined gripsters. 

The fourth Charlotte Pick Up Artist is no exception to this.  A man of many interests, Robert has trained  Armwrestling, Bending, Grip, Highland Games and Powerlifting.    We first met online in 2013, and kept an ongoing dialogue as he trained towards his Red Nail Cert.   Fast forward 3 years and you will now find his name on hallowed bending ground.  Just recently, Robert added his name to the elite group who have bent the FBBC KOAB (King Of All Bastards) bar.   Only nine other benders have certified on this fearsome 3/8" x 7" piece of cold rolled steel.  Even more impressive, he accomplished this feat with only intermittent bending while focusing on several other of his pursuits.

Stepping back in time, we could find Robert powerlifting in the APF from 2007-2010…culminating in a win in the Masters 40+ push/pull in 2010 (602 deadlift, 435 bench).  In 2011, he placed 2nd at the sit-down Armwrestling Nationals (Masters 40+ division).

This raw power served him well as he trained Grip with the other Pick-Up Artists.  (Bob Sundin , James Retarides , and Jason Otto)  Robert knocked out grip feats from all disciplines in Bob's backyard.  What looks like an average yard to most, is home to prodigious grip exploits.  Here Miller closed an IM #3 gripper from parallel, hub pinched 71lbs, C&P the baby inch (135lbs), farmer's walked a pair of them, pulled 284lbs on David Horne's ATB, and managed 198lbs one handed on the Axle. 

At 2013's Sorinex's Summer Strong, Miller put on a veritable pinch party, pulling 5x10, 3x25, 2x45 and 3x45(2handed).  

At 2014's Arnold Classic, Robert managed to lift a pair of the incredibly rare 200lb Zuver Plates.

The funny thing is…Robert's actually best known for his sledgehammer prowess.  While there can be only one "Slim the Hammerman", amongst us mere mortals, Robert Miller is with the top of the class.  He set a WR hammer choke at the 2013 Gripmas and has Double Overhead Levered 20lb Sledgehammers!  At the 2014 North American Grip Sport Championship, Robert pulled a 356lb Axle and was second in his weight class…only to the Colossus David Labbe.

In 2015, Robert turned his attention to Highland Games…and in his very first contest (Greenville) placed 3rd in the caber toss and 3rd overall as well.

Fast forward to this year (2016), Robert certified on both the Duke and King of all Bastards.  

What does he have planned  for an encore?  Let's find out...

Robert Miller Profile Pic Final.jpg

7 questions to get to know Robert…

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

GB name:  Robertmiller67

Height:  6’ 2” (188cm)

Weight:  237lbs (107.5kgs)

Hand:  7.5” (both) (19cm)  

City:  Fayetteville NC, Ft. Bragg area

Relationship Status:  Married with 6-children - ages 12-23 (1  grandchild 8 months) 

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I started training grip to assist my hand & wrist strength for Armwrestling.  I trained pinch mainly, with some gripper work back in 2010.  I wanted to make my hands thicker for Armwrestling  and not so much for strength.  However, I’ve been swinging hammers forever… so I guess that counts too right? 

I was raised on a farm so I always had farm-boy strength!  I came to grip with a lot of natural strength due to all that…as well as doing industrial maintenance/mechanic work for 20 years.  Turning wrenches and swinging hammers for years builds some tremendous hand strength all by itself. 

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

Oh that’s easy.

1.      Lift Inch DB

2.      Lift Dinnie Stones

3.      Cert. the Ironmind Gold Nail

Not too shabby I suppose?  I’ve gotton decent air with the Inch on a few occasions but never a full lift.  It's a much harder to lift with short, thick, Flintstone hands.  L  I wish I had one to train with as I’m sure that would help tremendously.  One day! 

I'm thinking of lifting an equivalent Dinnie stone with loading pins & steel rings to simulate the real thing.  I need more weights!

Lastly, the Gold is like Mt Everest.  I have bent a Gold in double wraps & heavy leathers.  But…bending one in single Imps seems almost impossible!  The crush isn’t so bad, but with the kink…the 8+” length kills ya!  I feel someone will cert it one day when all the planets are in alignment! 😲

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

I’ve actually just recently switched over to training full body 3x weekly…very similar to Crossfit training and HIIT.

At my age, I’m more focused on health and longevity as well as flexibility & mobility.  I’m more focused on the aforementioned than strength at the moment (although I still bend steel at a very high intensity). 

I integrate grip training with each full-body workout and also mix in rope climbs & hammer swings.  That way, I hit grip right along with my normal workouts indirectly.

I also love KB’s and train with them regularly.  They help with balance and coordination like no other!  They also help me maintain explosive strength off the floor similar to Olympic lifts but without the inherent risk of Injury.

Sledgehammer work is still the mainstay of my grip training.  Levering in all different directions along with finger walks and static holds build almost every muscle in your hand and wrist imho.   Slim was onto something I think!

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Reading, metal working, target practice, leadership training.

I used to read a book every month or two.  When I was a kid, my mom made me read.  Now I fully realize the importance of doing so…it challenges and stimulates your mind.

I’m not as hands on as I used to be.  However, at all times I’m involved in several metal fabrication projects at work.  I still thoroughly enjoy it.  Creating something with your hands is an awesome feeling!

I go to the shooting range every month or so and try and maintain my skills… although eyes are getting dimmer with age.  I came up shooting and hunting in the country.  I also served in the military, so shooting is part of my DNA I suppose. 

I’ve been involved in leadership/ management in some capacity most of my adult life…first in the military and then various civilian jobs I’ve worked.  Although it's very challenging work, it's also very rewarding.  Nothing gets me more fired up than motivating and inspiring a team of people to accomplish a common goal! 

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I’ve trained and competed in so many strength sports… but I think I love grip & steel bending the most.  However, Highland Games is a close second!

Throwing around heavy weights is so much dang fun!  It's very challenging to learn all the techniques involved in all 7-9 events.  Steel bending is still my passion though… something primal & super-satisfying about straining against a piece of steel for 5 minutes to finally have it yield to your will!

I’d also like to mention I’ve meet some the absolute best, outstanding individuals in grip sport that anyone could ask for!

My crew in Charlotte, Bob, Jason and James are consummate gentleman and I have learned much from all 3 of them.  James is a close friend of mine and happens to have some of the strongest arms/ wrist in the world!  Bob has all around hand strength that’s unreal- esp his pinch!  Jason’s crush is unbelievable as well.. he reps #3s easy!  

Same goes for Delmar, Nathaniel, Mike Sharkey, Juha (both), JT, Paul Knight, Kody Burns, Scott Johnson, John Eaton, Andrew P, Chris Rice, Jedd, Luke, Nick R, Andrew D, Richard Sorin, etc.  They are super strong but also outstanding  gentleman. (Hope I didn’t forget anyone)

These men always share their knowledge and time without any reservations and are great ambassadors of grip sport! 

Lastly, I’d like to thank Nate, and the GB for the opportunity to be added to the grip profiles.  Nate is a great friend of mine and a tireless ambassador of our grip sport.  Thank you my friend for your time, hard work and dedication you’ve devoted to the GB. 

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

So many good guys to choose from but Mr. Mike Sharkey comes to my mind… This guy is a very intelligent, technical grip/ steel bender & I’d love to hear his story!  Plus- Mike’s outspoken & tells it like it is!

Thanks Robert!  The Shark has agreed to do a profile but has asked Jose Cabrera to be his proxy at the moment.  I will post Mike's profile down the road.  There are a number of profiles in the works.  I will post them as they come in. 

• Like 16

Thanks again Nate... its an honor to be included in this list of grip profiles.  

Juha, hope I didn't disappoint you sir!  

Looking forward to hearing from the Shark!!  

Rob

Edited by robertmiller67
  • Like 3

Great writeup. I can't get enough of these profiles!

• Like 3

Thanks gentleman for reading!  This is a nice feature on the GB for sure!  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Juha... as you well know, bending ain't easy brother!  

Hope your training going well my friend!?