2016 September - National Capital Grip Championship (Part 2) - anwnate

anwnate

At this point, Anton said that he was ready to attempt to Cert. the Red Nail once again.  This made a lot of sense as the crusher can severely weaken the grip.  The crowd once again gathered around him as he solemnly wrapped the nail.  I had marked his hands as to exactly how he should grip it.  Pumped up, Anton started in on his first hit.  At the very last second his grip reverted to the previous one.  While he recognized it, he decided to simply push through.  He hit the bar fiercely and was once again rebuffed by that evil piece of steel.  After his second hit, his fingers were completely tattered.  What?  You say you have never seen tattered fingers?  Let me show you…

20160917_123814 (2).jpg

There ya go.  The second bar bent maybe 2-3 degrees. An amusing side note.  I took this picture and showed to Anton...as if he couldn't see it without the picture.  lol  WTH was I thinking. Anyway...back to the non-bend, I was almost as stunned as Anton.  Something is horribly wrong here.  If I may quickly sum up.

S3YP4OG.png

I'll get back to that later.  Anton tended to his fingers deciding there was no point in attempting the 3rd nail.  While the shock of the Cert. still wore on him, Anton did his best to take it in stride and focus on the rest of the contest.

FBBC 2.5" Crusher. As if his 3rd place showing at Legends didn't set off alarms…only 2 Americans have ever competition-pulled more on the Crusher than Gil Goodman did at NCGC2 (Johnson by 1kg and Labbe by 2kg).  This event also really highlighted just how powerful the Maizels family is.  Despite having little to no experience in Grip, Patty took top honors in the ladies Crusher (34kg) and Flask (18k), and Patrick posted a very respectable 65kg. Brixton managed solid numbers all around…especially considering he was pretty much thrown into the pool and expected to swim.  I didn't get too involved in the exact lifts throughout, but if shouts are any measure…I believe a fair number of people set PRs in this event.  Pardon the lack of detail.  I was pretty much trying to avoid plugging in the wrong place. :) 

BSS Tips Tester (2HP).  There was some confusion amongst the competitors here.  In the end of May, this event was going to be one handed.  A couple of weeks later it became two handed. Apparently there were a number of competitors who trained one handed only.  There is a moral here.  When prepping for any contest…train both hands equally.  AND…keep up with the Contest Thread.  There are normally a few tweaks in any contest due to comp. logistics.  Another great reason to train both hands equally is to prepare for an unexpected injury.  If you tear up a hand at work, yardwork or just working out…you can still compete strongly with the other hand.  File that tip away guys.  As far as the event went, I didn't catch to much of it.  This seemed to be a crowd favorite though.  Lots of yelling and cajoling.  There were a number of people who came back strong on the fourth attempt after failing attempt 3.  The Gil-a Monster of course was a beast here as usual.  He managed a lift of 150kg which would have been good for 1st Place in NAGS sanctioned contest…if Dave Labbe hadn't pulled 157kg right after (also a new World Record by 6lbs).  After the official lifts were over, Dave shattered that pull with a whopping 173kg (381.4lbs) to set a new BSS recognized World Record lift. I'm 90% sure that Dave has never trained this event in his life.  It also may have been the first time he put his hands on the apparatus.  If Dave started training Grip and specifically Grippers, I don't know who would be able to stop his march to the top of the grip world.

With the Sanctioned Events over, Tom retreated to the upstairs to calculate the scoring.  Later on, we eventually chatted about the need for a program that would do ALL the math and spit out the scoring in every way (strongman, Wilks, Classes…hell even ages).  We both are nominating Aaron Corcorran to do this.  If we need a campaign to get this going, I'll be the first to throw in the hat.  I know it can be done, there is a need, and I'm willing to pay/contribute to get it done.

Anyway…I followed upstairs to find a sweeeet spread.  There were a TON of BBQ sandwiches made from Tom's angel of a wife.  There were also massive trays that included a number of side dishes.  Woot!  At the time, I was being good (diet wise) so I tossed my buns out and ate the BBQ within. Since I've since slipped on the diet, I now regret that…cause rolls are fluffy bits of goodness. J  I don't know if people even knew this spread was going to be presented because I don't think everyone partook in it.  Huge thanks to the Scibelli's for welcoming us into their home, holding a sweet contest and feeding us on top of it! 

While Tom calculates the score…I want to throw out some impressions.  Dave Labbe is surprisingly nice.  I'm not sure whether I expected an Ogre…but certainly not the warm quiet vibe he gave off.  I got to spend a few moments with Gary Kessler.  One thing he said stuck in my mind. 

"Do you know when my first Grip Contest was?" 

"Last year?" I said.  "Yup," he replied. 

"Do you know when my second Grip Contest was?" he asked. 

"Today," I guessed. 

"Yup." he said…and we both had a chuckle over that.

Got to chat a little with the Connecticut contingent…Tank, Ace, Amber and Don.  But, like with most people…not enough. Quickly need to mention Ace.  He gets so pumped…kind of like a mini-Jedd.  It's very cool…and you can tell he just loves Gripsport.  Ace…if you are reading this, you still need to get that Inverted Dumbbell lift!  Jacob and Andrew continue to impress me. The take Grip seriously and are way more mature than most kids their ages.  Once again, like at Gripmas…barely got to talk to Anthony.  We will do dinner this year, the night before Gripmas.  Hopefully a number of other Gripsters descending on Zanesville will join us.  Michael Rabich continues to impress.  It turns out that now Anton and "Russian Mike" train together regularly (since SJ3).  Jose Cabrera and Chris "Wonder" Schoeck also drop by here and there.  It seems that Queens is becoming a Grip Hub (pun intended).  As it was her first contest, Patty pretty much used Maria and Amber as guides to her lift choices.  Patty is one tough cookie.  I expect good things from her.  I loved seeing so many women competing.  I'm sure hoping it's a sign of things to come.  Amber shined in grippers (94lbs), whereas Maria rocked the Tips Tester (74kg).  I'm kinda hoping a rivalry (friendly of course ;) ) develops between the three of them.  Nothing like a little competition to push the envelope.

attachment-1.jpeg

Mo Chakir did well for his second contest…making a couple of newbie errors with a couple of large weight jumps that ended up stinging him.  The longer you do this, the more you realize that a weight can go from easy to glued to the floor with even an incremental jump.

IMG_0720.jpeg

After placating my stomach with several helping of pork and slaw, I got into a conversation with Gil in the kitchen.  Dude is extremely thoughtful in regards to grip.  With a surprising quiet demeanor, I pretty sure this growing grip titan gets underestimated constantly.  Because I couldn't help myself, I picked up the lesser bend Red (2-3deg) and bent it with Anton's IMPs.  For a bit of perspective…I don't really respect the Red Nail anymore.  I consistently bend them in about 7 seconds…my first hit takes it to 90degrees.  Imagine my surprise when my first hit took it only to 15degrees.  Although I was kind of beat up from bending…this nail shouldn't have been this difficult.  It took me at least 40 seconds to bend…and I had to draw on wayyyy more power than I normally do with a Red.  I immediately estimated that it was about 50-70lbs heavier than a spiral Red.  For those who don’t bend…imagine practicing on a super weak #3 (CPW138) and trying to cert on a super heavy #3 (CPW160).  And further imagine that you could only practice on that CPW138…because all of the #3's were that low.  Basically, Ironmind switched steel recently for whatever reason.  Anton was given Cert. steel that no other person on the list had to deal with.  Knowing this didn't really help Anton feel much better, Tom sent the bar to E.J. to rate it.  Time will tell if my estimate was correct.

IMG_0722.jpeg

The whole group of gripsters eventually made their way upstairs.  Tom was using the Wilks formula to score the event and Dan Fleming walked away with the coveted NCGC2 trophy.  Gil followed only 12 points behind.  The mass exodus had begun and by time we got to a group pic…we were missing 6 people.  Note to self and promoters…take the group pic before the comp. J

IMG_0744.jpeg

Mo and I said our goodbyes and got on the road, dropping Dan at his nearby hotel.  Talk revolved around grip on the way home (of course).  Tom ran an excellent comp.  Even without competing I really enjoyed it.  Watching people PR and celebrate was inspiring.  I couldn't wait to get back to training.  Big thanks to Diesel Crew and Cannon Power Works for sponsoring.  Most of all, thanks to Tom for opening his door and welcoming this motley crew of gripsters into his abode.  Next year…

"if you hold it…people will come." - Field of Grip ;)

• Like 10

Nice write up. Sorry I missed it. Sounds like a great time. 

• Like 3

Great writeup, Nate. Thank you for chronicling the event. I'm glad you were able to come and thankful that you volunteered to keep score since you couldn't compete. This was a very fun competition and very well run as I have come to expect of Tom. It was great seeing everyone again and great to meet new folks.

• Like 4

Great write-up Nate, thanks for doing this and thanks for doing a great job keeping track of all the attempts, I don't think I thanked you enough when you were there, but I couldn't have done it without you!

• Like 4

Awesome write up.  Definitely a blast to compete in something other then Olympic Weightlifting. The ladies were awesome to help guide me and i do look forward to some friendly competition to push us 3 and hopefully bring in more strong ladies.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, anwnate said:

Because I couldn't help myself, I picked up the lesser bend Red (2-3deg) and bent it with Anton's IMPs.  For a bit of perspective…I don't really respect the Red Nail anymore.  I consistently bend them in about 7 seconds…my first hit takes it to 90degrees.  Imagine my surprise when my first hit took it only to 15degrees.  Although I was kind of beat up from bending…this nail shouldn't have been this difficult.  It took me at least 40 seconds to bend…and I had to draw on wayyyy more power than I normally do with a Red.  I immediately estimated that it was about 50-70lbs heavier than a spiral Red.  For those who don’t bend…imagine practicing on a super weak #3 (CPW138) and trying to cert on a super heavy #3 (CPW160).  And further imagine that you could only practice on that CPW138…because all of the #3's were that low.  Basically, Ironmind switched steel recently for whatever reason.  Anton was given Cert. steel that no other person on the list had to deal with. 

Nice write-up Nate!  I recently ordered some Reds from Ironmind and have bent a few of them in IMPs the past few weeks.  The first one (a few weeks ago) was way harder than anything else I had bent in awhile (probably on the level of 450-465lb. drill rod).  I thought I was just getting old and weak.  :(  Each bend took me about 30-50+ seconds and felt like drill rod throughout ... never really letting up like CRS does.  I lined the bent Red up next to some of my older, recent Reds and the angle of the bend was a lot straighter compared to a more rounded angle like the older ones. I was going to post up a picture last week, but started to wonder if it was really "me" or something changed with the steel.

That's sick Anton!  Gotta respect your resolve.  Just stay with it and you will get it, especially training with Nate.  

• Like 3

Thank you for the honorable mention buddy! I was honestly heart-broken and surprised - and then drunk - that I didn't make that red but as you and Tom and everyone else there familiar with red nails saw, those pieces of steel that came out of my cert package was not the same red nails that I and everyone else had been bending - I'm thankful I had you there to try one of the pieces on the spot and tell me it wasn't just me and thank you Carl for also trying the new reds and posting that you also experiencing it being harder - I'm just gonna have to get stronger and come back to bend the new red nail into crushed oblivion! Tom's contest was an absolute blast and the furthest grip contest I've ever traveled for - was a memorable day in my own strength-training history and can't wait til the next!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Thank you for the honorable mention buddy! I was honestly heart-broken and surprised - and then drunk - that I didn't make that red but as you and Tom and everyone else there familiar with red nails saw, those pieces of steel that came out of my cert package was not the same red nails that I and everyone else had been bending - I'm thankful I had you there to try one of the pieces on the spot and tell me it wasn't just me and thank you Carl for also trying the new reds and posting that you also experiencing it being harder - I'm just gonna have to get stronger and come back to bend the new red nail into crushed oblivion! Tom's contest was an absolute blast and the furthest grip contest I've ever traveled for - was a memorable day in my own strength-training history and can't wait til the next!

I'm very curious if the increase in difficulty was intentional or accidental.  We all know steel varies.  The type and diameter only give us a ballpark understanding of it's difficulty.  When I worked for my cert, I became very conscious of the scale and where I was on it.   I trained for the cert like a Powerlifter working for a number at an upcoming comp.  When I certed I had bent maybe 5 red nails under actual cert conditions, but I knew I would be able to do it day of.  I factored in my rest days.  I had 3 pairs of IMP's I trained with all in different states of being broken in.  My stiffer pair gave me 20# on the kink over my softest pair. I knew 100% I would be able to make the number on comp day.  

My Red Nail was between 420 - 440#.  The pump from the cert would have probably allowed me an extra 20#, but I would have noticed it.  That means that anything over 460 and I stood a good chance of failing the cert.   Ironmind has had fairly consistent steel through the years.  There was a run of spiral looking Reds that I have bent that ran from maybe 390# - 415#.  I've never had a Red that was over 450# though, and I've bent dozens now from all generations, and the steel while having some cosmetic variation, was still always clearly CRS.  Nate said this looked like 0-1.  He would know, he has cut 100's of bars of it.

The Bastard I certed on however, despite being the exact same dimensions as a Red, was 500# at least, I bent it in bigger wraps though. It's the IMP's and the short time limit that make the IM cert still the thing to have, and traditionally a very level playing field.  FBBC certs, while fun, don't tell the same tale.  

My point is, there is a large proportion of people on the Red Nail Roster that would not be there if they had to bend the bars you got. Something is amiss.  Either IM completely changed suppliers and doesn't have a reliable way of mechanically testing steel (I kinda suspect they just send something to Pat Povilitis and ask him if it's "hard") or this was planned, as perhaps they think too many people have certed in recent years.  Really we just figured out the technique.

TL;DR:  a 500# bend in IMP's without rubber bands is a serious feat of strength.  Hopefully we will get some answers and then you know if you just have to get that strong to cert nowadays.  It would have taken me another year of serious training to reach it.  Maybe more.  

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 3

Tough break Anton. By looking at your fingers it obviously wasn't from a lack of effort. You will bounce back and destroy this cert. 

• Like 3

Just a quick note on this, I had the same "different" type of red nails for my cert and can vouch that they are definitely harder than the previous style of reds.

My referee for the cert @Chez actually commented after it was all over that upon my first hit, he caught a glimpse of fear in my eyes. I was surprised at how much different the steel felt than reds I had been practicing with at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

My referee for the cert @Chez actually commented after it was all over that upon my first hit, he caught a glimpse of fear in my eyes. I was surprised at how much different the steel felt than reds I had been practicing with at home.

then you regrouped and destroyed it! 

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

So did anyone  ever officially rate the new Red nails yet?

Nooooooooooooooo - I just ordered more and will see how I stand almost two months down the road - I predict domination!