Wobbler log

wobbler

Going to start this, probably won't post in detail because I do all this for fun, and do a lot of high volume thumb and extensor work most days. Not very structured at all, just whatever I can get in. Mostly going to be instagram videos of PR stuff. Bending, pinch, vbar, blob, rolling handle, hub, maybe grippers.

I'm 5'10 about 175lbs +/- a few, born in '84, don't let the baby face fool you, but don't comment on the thinning hair either. :cool 7 5/8 "hands, about 9.5" spread pinky to thumb.

First time I've chalked up in awhile so here's a few videos.

• Like 2

Strong stuff right there man!  Cool!

Thanks. First time on 10's plate pinches, and the last time I tried the vbar I was at about 135 or so. Never thought of the blob face lift clean until today.

Been doing a lot of thumb/palm closes with imtugs, 10-15 rep sets with the 3, 40-60 rep sets with the 2, and I think that helped vbar a lot.

• Like 1

1/4×7 steel from lowes, I got some hot and cold rolled mixed up so not sure which this is, couldn't really tell a difference in strength between the two. Not sure if I could kink that overhand so I started it reverse. With smaller wraps, where it's placed in the hand seems to change a lot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wobbler said:

1/4×7 steel from lowes, I got some hot and cold rolled mixed up so not sure which this is, couldn't really tell a difference in strength between the two. Not sure if I could kink that overhand so I started it reverse. With smaller wraps, where it's placed in the hand seems to change a lot.

I think bands take up more area on the bar than the wraps do. Awesome man!

Thanks, I can melt those in imps, to 90* in one hit reverse or overhand, then one or two more hits to crush it down. It's crazy how much more pressure the end of the bar puts on your palms even on the crush with smaller wraps. I'm interested in barehand bending so this is a good middle ground. Best barehand so far is an fbbc 3/16×6, slow going reverse then underhand then crush overhand.

FBBC 3/16×6 barehand. Couple beers first helped with that one.;)

I guess this is a log, so bent a yellow and blue overhand in imps. Also tore 2 decks of cheap cards, ugly but I'm working on it. This bend was the last for tonight, probably.

• Like 2

Left hand is lagging behind today, right is doing pretty good. Got 40lb blob with index on top which is a first, need to work on that. 40lb plus 2.5 in playemates. Did a couple pretty high pulls with 40lb blob (no videos), I think when I get a full lift +5lbs I'll be able to clean it. First hub video, not quite full lifts (and that's being generous for the left.) It's the newer version and I can't figure out the chalk, seems like the more loose chalk I slap on the better but it's not consitent at all.

Good work man!  You probably already know this, but when barehand bending the 7" bars are going to feel "more comfortable" than 6" bars.  The longer bars don't dig into your palms as much as the 6" bars.  You have no doubt experimented with different bending styles too when doing barehand bends.  Most guys will have less pain with reverse and DU than with DO. 

Yeah, definitely noticed that, 3/16×7 is a breeze barehand. Going to work on 1/4×7 in equivalent of 1/3 imps for a little while, would like to get a yellow nail barehand at some point.

Blue nail in imps, "rip your grip" 1/4×7 in imps, little harder than yellow nail, working on better form for the kink and i think you can see it. Took a few cracks at 1/4×7 square in imps, no movement. Might hit it in imps on top of suede to see how far off I am, or just keep working imps and smaller wraps on 1/4 round stuff, not sure. I really need to get some 1/4 hex from mcmaster, its about the cheapest thing you can get to bend, and I'd get some drill rod while I'm at it.

• Like 2

Little bit of warmup then tested grippers after not touching them for a month or so. Got 111#CPW rated tetting master 10 reps right hand, 10 attempts left, got 3, less than 1/8 on the misses. Stronger than I last checked, mostly been bending and doing block weights lately.

I've never really measured my set but on the video it looks wider than I thought it was, first time making a gripper video and it's not terrible so that's good. I just put my phone on the floor.

Edit: all reps were singles

Edited by wobbler
Singles

Forgot to mention, setting grippers the other day felt much easier than it ever has, definitely have bending to thank for that.

All in IMPs: yellow nail and slightly harder 1/4×7, then 1/4×7 hex gave it about 5 hits, basically kink isos and index finger conditioning. It was stuck at 10* or so and it might be at 15 now. I think I can get it if I'm rested. Been hitting that one for 4 days now, ugh.

Fingers hooked under chin isos for upper back, feels like it will get me more comfortable in the kink position too. Moved hands left and right during, helps elbow flexibility maybe? Can certainly feel it working different upper back muscles and keeps shoulders balanced.

Too late to edit my last post. 5 sets 8lb sledge fingerwalks. Video of first set. Have to look like I'm good at something ;)

Been over thinking this for awhile. Had a couple beers, picked it up and just went for it.

Edit: Well that took less than a week. 

Edited by wobbler

So I've noticed all these instagram links mess up the page loading a bit, will use them sparingly. 

All 7" all in imps, yesterday 1/4 stainless, 1/4 drill rod, .2656 drill rod, maybe 1* kink on .272 drill rod.

Mike Sharkey told me to use chalk, so I did. Today got the .272 drill rod and 6mm crs square, no go on 1/4 square but I think I'm close, probably just a little worn out.

Also, ugly 35lb plate curls. Can do a 25 with 2.5lbs of platemates on the far end pretty slow and controlled, need to work up from there.

1/4×7 square CRS in imps Saturday night, pretty happy with that one. Gonna try some 7mm drill rod next.

Got 7mm drill rod yesterday, tried some blobs today and sucked so bent a 1/4 square and a 7mm hex, both 7" in imps. Wobbled a 5/16x7 hrs and going to take another crack at it once my index fingers go back to a normal shape... I'm getting stronger bringing the bar higher up, and doing hands clasped under the chin back isos to warm things up helps also.

Edit: got it, that's probably good for today 

Edited by wobbler
Got it

.29 drill rod in imps, got stuck a little past 90* and had to come back to it a few minutes later. Kink is sucking less so crush is getting harder, happy with that. Still got it to about 1.5" eventually.

45lb plate hub lifts both hands, some volume on 2.5 baraban crusher with 110 lbs and less, one I suck at rolling handles and two chalk makes the baraban worse so it's slippery.

Hub video and pic of the .29 on my instagram.

A bunch of thumb work with imtugs and extensors with red+white ironmind bands today and yesterday.

15lb sledge fingerwalks yesterday, 6 sets, video of 5th set on instagram, finished both hands in 60 seconds. 17.5 today, once each hand, took about a minute each to get 6" from finishing and I gave up there. Athletic tape and chalk on the handle so it's not as impressive as it sounds.

1/4×7 hex warmup, got about 10-15* on .2969x7 drill rod in imps, 2 hits, started to lose palm and index finger calluses so stopped there. Soon... but that's about my limit in imps I think.

45+5 hub. It's 3.5 wide x 1.125 deep so a little harder than ironmind hub. But, chalk sticks to the plate so I can lift about the same.

And I'm still stuck on that .2969x7 drill rod, basically an iso bar but it moves like 2* every time I take a crack at it.

That was yesterday, today yellow nail underhand, blue nail underhand (video) and got a little movement on 1/4×7 hex underhand, finished overhand.

Edited by wobbler
Today

Some hub stuff yesterday, got air with 45 plate +7.5 lbs. 56.2 lbs with ironmind hub, a couple reps each hand, only 2 full lifts each.

Bent a 1/4×7 square in imps with much more control than I've had before. Did some sledge fingerwalks, little bit of blob and pinch.

1/4 hex and 1/4 square warmup, then .290x7 drill rod yesterday, stuck a little past 90* again, got a video. My knuckles were touching normal DO grip and what I usually do to transition wasn't working, feels like I'm  missing a tool or technique here, but it may just be strength. That kink took a lot out of me.

Lots of light wrist levering with 5lbs on one end of an olympic dumbbell.

Needed to move the wraps further down when crushing.

On 9/21/2016 at 10:00 PM, wobbler said:

Never mind the quote box, phone is malfunctioning.

Your last 2 vids did not load for some reason.