Silvis T-rex adjustable

Aleksandar Milosevic

Hey guys, I was wondering if the T-rex can be set to be at about 100 lbs, I know that on Cannon powerworks site it says that the average low rating is 115 lbs, has anyone tried getting it a bit lower? I have a Baraban adjustable, and a CoC #2, which I can close with both hands, but the thing is it's an awkward close. I crush it to the last 5 millimeters and I always struggle in there because the movement is not like the adjustable, since the handles are parallel. My strength from the adjustable carries over to the CoC, but not fully. That's why I want to buy something a tad lighter, and something which I can aim to close in the future, and the T-rex fits the bill perfectly. I would buy the long handle too, and beyond the range handle, but it's currently out of stock (Question for Cannon, is it ever going to be back in stock, I've tried asking on facebook personal message and on a status, didn't get a response). I'd like to hear some other ideas too, maybe there's a better alternative, but my budget is around 60$ max. Thanks in advance!

Hey, sorry, I don't check Facebook much. Yes, we'll have them back in stock eventually. If you really want it filed, you could order our filing service. Keep in mind the Silvis BTR handle is 1" thick before the filing. So in the closed position you're not much past a regular close. I think it's really meant for people who want the thicker handle but with the regular range of motion  

As far as 100lbs, it's probably possible to adjust to that, but I think you risk bending the spring leg. Also there won't be much spring left in the handle. It would probably work, but I think you're asking for trouble. 

• Like 1

Thanks, so you think it would be better to get something like a #1 or a #1.5 to get in some rep work, and just the T-rex with the extended handle? I wouldn't file it, because I probably can't close it on lowest recommended setting, and I don't want to risk injury or ruining the gripper.

Yes you can adjust it to that setting without problem but you should get the Triceratops instead. Or you could get a GHP4. The COC#1.5 is too close to the #1.

Another option is to fill your adjustable on both sides to mimic the feel of a tsg

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes you can adjust it to that setting without problem but you should get the Triceratops instead. Or you could get a GHP4. The COC#1.5 is too close to the #1.

I'd rather get a stronger gripper and work up to it (the T-rex), that's how I closed my #2, just by training on the adjustable (my current strength on it is 122 lbs).

2 hours ago, GripAustria said:

Another option is to fill your adjustable on both sides to mimic the feel of a tsg

Has anyone else done that, and does it really mimic the feel of it? It doesn't seem so, because the last centimeter in a TSG feels like torsion to me.

1 hour ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

I have a 96 # GHP 4. PM me if you want it.

I don't know how would that trading work, since I live in Serbia and I don't have PayPal. Send me a private message. 

Thank you everyone for your responses, I'd say I have two choices, either to buy a T-Rex and get the long handle for negatives (never trained negatives) or to get a slightly weaker and a stronger gripper, like the ghp 4 and a 2.5 or some combination like that. Please, if anyone else has some suggestions, please tell me.

Then just get the T-Rex, you won't be having any trouble setting it so it's easier thyan your #2. I've had two of these and I've mainly used them in that range (100-105 RGC) for hundreds and hundreds of reps without any problems.

You can buy directly from their site: http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/silvis

Edited by Fist of Fury

4 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Then just get the T-Rex, you won't be having any trouble setting it so it's easier thyan your #2. I've had two of these and I've mainly used them in that range (100-105 RGC) for hundreds and hundreds of reps without any problems.

You can buy directly from their site: http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/silvis

Yeah, I'll probably do that, but I'll order from Cannon, it's cheaper for me and I don't have a PayPal account. Thanks!

12 hours ago, wobbler said:

For that budget, get a t-rex and a rated hg200.

How's the quality of heavy grips compared to CoC and GHP? I doubt there's an enormous difference?

14 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

How's the quality of heavy grips compared to CoC and GHP? I doubt there's an enormous difference?

Very big difference. HGs are much lower quality. They often get weaker over time and even lose some of their spread. They use much cheaper material to make HGs. COC and GHPs may cost more but they are worth it and you can tell as soon as you hold them compared to HGs

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

So it's basically a good gripper to get some reps in or warm up?

They can have a place in training like to fill strange gaps etc. but you should focus on the high quality grippers

18 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

So it's basically a good gripper to get some reps in or warm up?

Yes, but valuable in general as well. I still have my original set of HGs.  I'm confident my HG150 and HG300 are both in my top 3 for total reps. The HG300 is essentially imperfect, but has been an incredibly valuable training tool for the cost.  It only rates at about 115 and is narrow and I have THOUSANDS of reps on that thing. 

They're cheap but you've got a budget. The knurling isn't as sharp but they're narrow, so difficulty for a given rating is about the same. The losing strength over time should be minimized with CPW doing 30 full reps and oiling before rating. Springs are painted it seems like after assembly, so I think that is a big part of the "lose strength over time" tribal knowledge. CPW says 95 average, I have had an hg200 for 15 years and I'd still estimate it at right around 100 rgc. Get pre rated if you can, but getting one with rating service should still be something pretty close to what you want.

Edit: I can also vouch for no issues setting a t-Rex to about 100lbs.

Edited by wobbler
T-Rex 100lbs
  • Like 1