Overhand kink, wrist position?

wobbler

I've noticed I can't keep my wrists up or even forward on a hard (for me) kink and it puts a ton of pressure on my index fingers, and that's usually what makes me back off. Kinked 5/16×7 HRS last Sunday and my index fingers are still recovering.

Does wrist position lessen that pressure, or not much of a difference? I am still getting used to the positioning, I tend to want to get more of my hands on the bar rather than the wraps, and that limits how high and under the chin I can get, and how far up I can point my wrists.

If I were holding a straight bar in my fist when I kink, I struggle to keep it parallel to the floor even, if that makes sense, usually pointed low.

Video for reference, so far if I can kink it everything else is no problem, I promise I finished that one but wraps kept slipping. 2 hits with not much movement, the 3rd I got wrists pointed a bit further up and it went.

I found the bend. Great job Robert. Kink was over real quick

• Like 1

Wrong thread, but post a link, I want to see that too :D

• Like 2

Kink position looks pretty good.  You can try to bring your elbows down and in a bit more, you're not gaining any leverage with them that far out.  All that being said, bending is an exercise in bone toughness and pain tolerance.  Eventually when the nerve damage sets in and the bones come close to cracking, it will just feel normal.  

• Like 4

Cool, I'll get there. Something I've never bent before, I'll try to kink it in doubles until I give up due to index finger pain. Basically slow and careful isometric that also helps me work on positioning, because its not going to move unless form is good. Then try to finish it a week later. Waiting 2 weeks on this one, so we'll see what happens. Hardest bend I've done like that was FBBC 1\4×7 square, in doubles, so I may or may not be able to get this one crushed down.

This is something I'm doing to work mostly on sweep and crush, because everything I can kink in singles is easy after that. Still working through 1/4" round stuff in singles for some volume.

6 hours ago, wobbler said:

Cool, I'll get there. Something I've never bent before, I'll try to kink it in doubles until I give up due to index finger pain. Basically slow and careful isometric that also helps me work on positioning, because its not going to move unless form is good. Then try to finish it a week later. Waiting 2 weeks on this one, so we'll see what happens. Hardest bend I've done like that was FBBC 1\4×7 square, in doubles, so I may or may not be able to get this one crushed down.

This is something I'm doing to work mostly on sweep and crush, because everything I can kink in singles is easy after that. Still working through 1/4" round stuff in singles for some volume.

I'll give you the same advice I give almost all new benders.  Put the doubles away.  Spend the next year bending ONLY in IMP's.  You shouldn't even think about adding doubles to your work until after you can bend a Red Nail level bar in IMP's.  The smaller wraps will do many things for your bending.  They will force you to develop effective technique and force application.  They will allow your bones to get tougher.  They will toughen your skin.  They will allow you to feel the steel.  The one thing they won't do is give you a false sense of where you are with your bending progression.  IMP's don't lie.  When you can bend a 1/4" square in IMPs, you know you have made progress.  The progression after that will require some 0-1 drill rod.  

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 5

Makes sense, thanks. Still trying to get a baseline. I'll figure out other ways to work sweep and crush in singles, cheat kink some stuff probably.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wobbler said:

Makes sense, thanks. Still trying to get a baseline. I'll figure out other ways to work sweep and crush in singles, cheat kink some stuff probably.

Honestly you will be surprised at how quickly your hands toughen up if you bend only in IMP's.  Find some Grip Rite 60D's and bend 100 of them.  Your hands and technique will be ready for tougher steel.  

To "cheat kink" a bar I was just not quite able to kink, I added a small 3" piece of leather inside the IMP's just to give myself a little extra strength on the kink.  This small addition really didn't change the position of the bar in my hands.  

On EJ's advice and with great success, I split my bending of bars into 3 different workouts.  I would kink 5 - 10 bars depending on the difficulty and leave them overnight.  Then I would sweep them to 3.25" and leave them.  Then I would crush them, sometimes past 2", sometimes just to 2.25" and then use gripper crush.

Splitting up the parts of the bend allowed me to focus on the technique of that particular part of the bending movement, and also allowed me to bend more frequently because the different parts of my hands had time to recover.  

Take it slow.  Recovery time is essential to developing iron hands.

• Like 1

Nah that's dumb, I'll just use quadruple wraps and not worry about the sweep or crush.:D

Thanks for the advice. I need to work on getting the imps wrapped tight enough, there's plenty of info available so I'll get it sorted out.

1 minute ago, wobbler said:

Nah that's dumb, I'll just use quadruple wraps and not worry about the sweep or crush.:D

Thanks for the advice. I need to work on getting the imps wrapped tight enough, there's plenty of info available so I'll get it sorted out.

Lolz.  Metal pipes will get it done.  

Wrapping wise you want to use the Eaton wrap where you fold a cm worth of wrap back over the nail and then roll.  Obviously use a C-clamp to hold the other side of the wrap.  You can also chalk the wraps a bit inside.  Keep the edge that is wrapping the nail square and clean, let the folds go elsewhere in the wrap.  I'll try to make a video for you if this doesn't make sense.

• Like 3

2 blue nails and a galvanized 60d (easier than the blue) in imps tonight. Folding the edge of the wraps first helped a lot, no more info needed. You were right (not that I'm surprised) my elbows were too high, I have been trying so hard not to chicken wing that I went overboard. I also finshed the kink and sweep, crushed to about 2.5" that HRS 5/16x7 in doubles, now putting them away for awhile. Need to get through the fbbc 1/4×6 I've got. Have bent one of those in single suede but it was kinked one weekend, finished the next.

My original question (do I need to point wrists further up and stay higher for the kink) I think is answered, it is not helpful and it just beats up my index fingers.  It's ok to point down earlier and I'm not going to kink still pointing up or even straight.

Yes.  You kinda want your palms torques in towards your body in the kink position.  Almost like you were riding a motorcycle.  As you bring the bar up under your chin, with your hands in this position, you will create a very tight unit that will allow you to transfer power to the steel during the kink.  Bending is 100% about being able to harness the power in your body and deliver it to the steel via the hands.  

This may sound like an over simplification, but its not.  Your hands will always be the weak link in the chain, so you have to work this link.  In order to cert the Red, and go further, you have to toughen the hands.  EJ slaps a table, I trained with an Iron Palm bag, Gazza was a factory worker his whole life.  Tommy is a mechanic.  Get the picture?   Even now, 3 years after I stopped bending (and lifting weights) it took me 3 weeks to get back to Red level in IMP's.  Why?  Iron Bones.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Updating this here, I've found something that works but not sure how I feel about it. I'm pulling backwards braced against my chest to start the kink, then I can rotate forward. I may work back up through some smaller bars and try to get better at more of a normal kink position.

• Like 2

Looked strong brother!  

As long as you feel strong in that position then continue to work it... barring any injuries.  

Most guys generate more leverage on the kink getting the bar far as possible under your chin.. far more advantageous imo.  

Do you just feel stronger in that position or do you lack the flexibility in yer shoulders?   

Well done either way bud!  

• Like 1

Btw, listen to the Shark & Nathaniel... they taught me how to bend & I've done pretty good for myself since then!  😎

• Like 2

Thanks. I can get higher but then can't do much, I'll revisit the higher position soon. I honestly don't see what injury I'd get from overhand. Underhand puts a lot of pressure on the pinky side of my wrist, and reverse seems like a lot could go wrong.

Got .29x7" drill rod the other day, had to take a break a little past 90* but that's the first bar I kinked that the crush was a real challenge.

You can sustain some major injuries bending DOH brother... esp. as you get stronger & bending heavier steel!  

I think Kody Burns actually tore a rotator in his left shoulder attempting to bend a Red!  

Upper back & shoulder/ pecs are very susceptible to injury with DOH bending without proper conditioning.  And of course hand, wrist & fingers as well.  

Just be careful brother and good luck!  

• Like 1

Will do, thanks. Sharkey has helped me a lot. I haven't failed a kink in awhile but think I'll back off a bit. My hub felt good the other day, and I'm behind on gripper strength, relatively speaking.

Probably see if I can get one piece of .302 drill rod in imps first though. :cool

1 hour ago, robertmiller67 said:

You can sustain some major injuries bending DOH brother... esp. as you get stronger & bending heavier steel!  

I think Kody Burns actually tore a rotator in his left shoulder attempting to bend a Red!  

Upper back & shoulder/ pecs are very susceptible to injury with DOH bending without proper conditioning.  And of course hand, wrist & fingers as well.  

Just be careful brother and good luck!  

Bending only in IMP's generally prevents shoulder injury.  Your hand toughness will give out before your pecs or your shoulders.  

• Like 1

My shoulders have never felt better since I started bending.