2016 August - Missouri Grip Challenge - John McCarter

John McCarter

Pre-MGC

First, I have to give major props to anyone who decides if they want, or, are going to host a contest. There’s so much in the planning stages. Secondly, actually getting it off the ground and going.

I’ve been wanting to put on a contest for grip for a while, gave it some consideration and put the wheels in motion that would become the “Missouri Grip Challenge”. Really had no clue what I was suppose to do. I really just winged it and looked at contest from the past and seen what people have hosted. Originally, since I had a lack of equipment, the plan was to only feature 3 events; as time went on behind the scene (thanks to FBBC and Gil Goodman) I changed/added a few more events than what was planned.

Since the wife and I have a daughter now, I haven’t been able to get into my work room and practice my lifting or gripping like I use too. Life has come and changed things for me that I’ve had to figure out differently. This contest was no different. I seriously took the time to figure out what goes on and put my effort’s into making it the best that I could with what little funds I had to give; seriously, I really was going in blind and doing everything by myself.

The wife (Christina Merritt) became really interested in what I was planning and wanted to be in the contest if she could; she doesn’t train at all but wanted to give it a go when the day came.

I sent out invites to anyone interested in getting together for the event. I wasn’t expecting a huge turn out but that wasn’t disappointing to me. If only 2 people showed up, that’s all that would matter to me.

The big problem was not being able to really host the venue at the place I originally had planned but in Missouri, you can never fully trust the weather as it can change instantly. JT came through and the contest had a new place.

Leading up to the contest, my energy levels were through the roof. I was nervous, excited and everything you could think of. I didn’t train for the contest and it had been a month since I last tried them out. A few days before the contest was to start I talked to Gil Goodman about the Stirrups events and the risk the event poses and changed it up to the Tips Tester; I wasn’t sure what I could pull on the device, I like to give myself a week with a new grip tool to figure out what I can do first.

The day of MGC

The night before I loaded up the car and got everything ready. When the day of the contest arrived, had to get everything else I may have forgotten about into the car and headed to JT’s place. It took maybe a couple minutes more since the wife and I had nearly 400lbs in the backseat of her car. It was great getting to see some sights I haven’t seen in a few years (no joke, JT is only about 35 minutes away from where I live) here in Missouri. When we got there I had missed the house and needed to turn around. 

Met JT and James Retarides at the front door. We started unloading the car for the lifting zone. I think Luke Wicks and a friend of his showed up next followed by Delmar Carter and finally Gil Goodman and Maria Bascetta. It was great getting to see all of them together again.

We all had a little while before the contest started. With everyone weighted in, I was surprised we had no lightweight’s, 4 people in the Middleweight division and Delmar and I both in the Heavyweight’s. Was hoping we could have had a few more female competitors but it was awesome no matter how many showed up.

As the clock chimed 10am, the fun was to begin. First up, we ran the IronMind Crushed to Dust Challenge. Luke brought all the tools, a few of the guys just played around and joking gave the 200lb Rolling Thunder a pull. I was the only person to attempt it. Surprised myself that I was able to actually do it. (As of this writing, I have not been inform if Ironmind has accepted or denied my attempt for doing the CTD.)

First event was the Flask one hand pinch; this was my personal Flask and I have it chalked up good. The ladies went first on all the events. Maria and Christina pulled some good numbers. I judged and scored everyone in all events this and following; except Christina since we’re married to each other.

I enjoyed watching every attempt being made. It wasn’t always easy, other times it was nothing but it was fun. I kept judging while writing down the numbers everyone attempted. At a later point I almost passed out because I was so focused on doing my job I forgot to breathe and drink some water.

Watching the guys pull on the Flask. I saw all kinds of numbers lifted. Starting out light and working up all the way to almost a hundred. What I remember most is watching Gil and how it looked like everything became glued to his mitts when he attempt a lift.

Next up was the 2” Crusher from FBBC. I only used this thing twice. I don’t remember much about what took place because of everything I was doing. Gil and Maria were just on fire. Watching Gil pull 230+ lbs on this thing was insane. 

After the Crusher we took a break from lifting and started eating and joking around. Earlier JT started talking about handling a rattlesnake and brought out a video of it (no thank you, that is not my thing as I have a huge fear of snakes), JT also mentioned that he built a flamethrower. I can’t remember if it was during the break or it if was after the contest. Let me just say this, actually having the chance to see how awesome that JT has made a flamethrower, this was probably the single best moment of any grip contest I’ve been to. James seriously channeled his inner Scareface; it was a blast watching his reactions.

Returning to the contest we set up the DubHub. I showed a few techniques for hubbing. I seriously don’t like to work the hub lift anymore since I was burnt out on it in 2014. Jokingly I was stating I was going to hit 80lbs but came close to lifting that amount. I was thinking “holy crap don’t be right about this since it was only meant as a joke!” 

The Delmar Anvil Cone was tricky. In the past I’ve lifted over 200+ lbs but just could hit close to 170lbs this time. The anvil cone is different than the Ironmind Little Big Horn not as fat, I just couldn’t get a handle on this implement.

Last up was the Tips Tester. I never used this tool before this day. Really had no idea where I stand or what could be pulled. I had no way of really getting my hand placement down with only couple of minutes before we started it. I just winged it. Surprised myself by officially lifting 301 lbs. Gil pulled 324 lbs, I gave it a joking pull, didn’t come up all the all but was able to break it free from the ground. I have to say this felt like doing Clean and Jerks in grip form.

Gil was a monster. This cat is super strong and in a few years from now will be one of the top guys in grip. 

After the contest I started figuring up the scores for the contest. It should be noted that I didn’t really have a clue what I was doing. Big thanks goes out to Gil for helping me with that one. After the numbers were totaled up, the awards were passed out to all the winners.

At one point I talked to Delmar and Maria about my program G.S.D. and how I created the program a few things that go into it. Found out Delmar and I were both from Cape Girardeau, MO. Strange how this one town connects people.

I think the last thing I really did before heading out was wrapping up a Red Nail and bending it to 90 degrees. Haven’t done that since 2013. 

It was a blast. Jokes were told. A flamethrower was used. Heavy weights moved. Will there be a Missouri Grip Challenge Vol. 2? Only time will tell. It was truly one of the best days I’ve had at a grip contest. Should have had Kung Furry playing in the background to make it even more awesome.

• Like 3

Here is Luke Wicks from his FB page

"My thoughts on the grip comp from yesterday, first off I trained so little and sporadic for the event due to work and other factors which is no excuse it just was what it was and that didn't help me at all. With that being said, To compete against guys like Gil, John, JT, Delmar, and James is humbling because they are leaps and bounds above what I am even close to capable of.

It's equivalent to me racing Usain Bolt in the 100m because when I put up my best lifts and I am still 120lbs behind Gil it's just not close. I had fun, learned some cool new things and techniques and finally got to meet up with people I have only known on the interwebs. So the numbers don't matter to me, it's the friendships and time I got to spend with others that is important.

It was great to see John again and his facial expressions left me laughing for hours. JT (bad word filter)ing rocks due to all the redneck shit he is into as well and the amount knowledge he dropped with bending and lifting. James was hilarious throughout the event and even with his vast knowledge he was the first to seek out others to fix and tweak certain things which was great to see. His excitement over a flamethrower is really hard to put into words. Delmar is quite possibly the nicest guy I have ever met and I still cannot wrap my mind (or hands) around the size of the that mans hands. Maria and Gil (bad word filter)ing rocked and were as fun and hilarious as I expected from the last year of correspondence. The amount of strength knowledge and technique they dropped was unparalleled. Gil's dad who came along as well was super awesome and great to talk to as well. As my buddy who attended with me said, "That Gilbert is a legit dude."

Hopefully I can get some more focus on a few lifts/feats and continue to progress some across the board in all events. I also only sustained a minor left wrist tweak which is actually an amazing feat within itself. I look forward to meeting up with all you derelicts again soon." Luke Wicks

• Like 2

Great writeup John...sounds like it was a blast!  

But...you ruined it for everyone else.  I can see it now...

"We had an awesome comp!"

"But did you have a flamethrower?"

"No."

"Then it wasn't really awesome." 

heehee

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Great writeup John...sounds like it was a blast!  

But...you ruined it for everyone else.  I can see it now...

"We had an awesome comp!"

"But did you have a flamethrower?"

"No."

"Then it wasn't really awesome." 

heehee

Thanks. I was remembering everything off of the top of my head.

The flamethrower was something I never fully expected. It was awesome!