Skin toughness: Routine Question

GrassMaine89

I'm slowly learning some things, thought I would post and maybe learn a little more.  A lot of the advice on the board is to build the base in singles and then move to doubles.  In the past I started with singles and tore my skin up; I used doubles so I could bend without as much pressure on torn skin.  I am getting back into and the same thing has happened, skin tears from bending in singles.  I think my strength has always been leaps and bounds above my skin toughness.  Below are some pictures of the process I am trying.  I am attempting to do volume work in singles while doing a working bend in doubles.  My hands are all tore up but I'm hoping if I push through that they will toughen up again.  The first day I bent until failure on a 5/16 grade 5 in doubles.  Day 2 I finished that bend and did a 5/16 CRS in IMPs.  Day 3 I bent 5 5/16 in IMPs.  I will now take a day or 2 and repeat in a similar fashion, increasing or decreasing the load depending on how my body responds.  This all took place a day or 2 after the sexabastard and red nail videos I posted.  All the pictures are below, I guess I'm looking for a that makes sense or a I would do x,y, or z instead; kind of programming/routine question with an emphasis on skin toughness.  As always thank you for all the help and advice.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GrassMaine89
  • Like 2

I spend a lot of time bending "easier" stock i.e. IMP's or less, and only go for a true PR attempt once a month.  I haven't had a skin tear in a few months (knock on wood).  But then again I only bend once every four days.  

It just takes time especially after a long layoff.  

• Like 1

I have a thick callous over my index fingers now so it takes alot to open them up and I have a scar over the top of my thumb web from reverse bending. If I notice my skin opening up now I just stop for a few days as otherwise it puts me out for a while

I think EJ has a good video on this, swear I remember him saying he used super glue or something

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

have you tried tuf-foot ?

I'm a tuf-foot addict.  I bathe in that shit. heh.

It won't prevent all tears or rips...but it will help minimize the number and mitigate the seriousness of them (and aids recovery).

But...there is no single answer.  A lot of hand issues can be dealt with by programming.  

Some people like to bend every 3-4 days...and that seems to do the trick.

E.J pioneered a training program where you break the bend down into different days...kink, sweep, crush.  By doing this, you keep yourself bending nearly constantly. 3 on/1 off.  You would be surprised at the volume you can work up to on a kink day.  The other days don't stress the same spots so you are golden there.

The single biggest thing you can do to keep you "in the game" is the use of electrical tape.  It'll prevent tears (or worsening tears), but provides almost no protection from the steel.

When I first started bending, I was all about "bend through the pain, blood, guts etc."  At some point I realized while this helps the mental aspect...it really slows the overall progress down.  You can't work construction if you pawn your tools.  Your hands are your tools in the bending game, so take care of them.  If that means taking a day off, or using a piece of tape to move forward, than that's what it means.

• Like 5

its part of the game...personally I switched my focus on bending styles when I got damaged skin or preferably right before. My personal views on bending was always to be as balanced as possible with DU, DO and reverse. I must admit that skin injury was a real PITA especially when you are breaking new records. But that's the deal...I really don't think you can avoid it, think about all that pressure and shearing you subject your skin to.

BTW I only just started bending again and already feel my skin getting weak with DO while doing isos...time to switch before a tear..

Edited by tselegala
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, anwnate said:

I'm a tuf-foot addict.  I bathe in that shit. heh.

It won't prevent all tears or rips...but it will help minimize the number and mitigate the seriousness of them (and aids recovery).

But...there is no single answer.  A lot of hand issues can be dealt with by programming.  

Some people like to bend every 3-4 days...and that seems to do the trick.

E.J pioneered a training program where you break the bend down into different days...kink, sweep, crush.  By doing this, you keep yourself bending nearly constantly. 3 on/1 off.  You would be surprised at the volume you can work up to on a kink day.  The other days don't stress the same spots so you are golden there.

The single biggest thing you can do to keep you "in the game" is the use of electrical tape.  It'll prevent tears (or worsening tears), but provides almost no protection from the steel.

When I first started bending, I was all about "bend through the pain, blood, guts etc."  At some point I realized while this helps the mental aspect...it really slows the overall progress down.  You can't work construction if you pawn your tools.  Your hands are your tools in the bending game, so take care of them.  If that means taking a day off, or using a piece of tape to move forward, than that's what it means.

Thanks for he reply.  When you state that TF aides in recovery, do you use it on the tear immediately? I have ready in other forums where EJ talks about that program, that might be a viable option.  I certainly want to bend on a frequent basis.  Thank you very much.

• Like 1

And sorry I didn't answer the question, I used it with success after I started getting tears before my layoff. I haven't started this time because everywhere I would use it is already open, lol.  But if others use it when hey are already open them I'll slap some on.