Nail Bending Newb

Ferdinand Avenarius

Hi y'all...

I'm just now getting into nail bending and my goal is to become a certified Bastard with Fat Bastard Barbells's certs. I have been pretty successful in powerlifting and did Girevoy sport (competitive kettlebell sport) for a while, and I still train heavy with kettlebells,so I feel like my grip strength is at least better than average. I know that I will need to do specialized training for nailbending though. I have Jedd Johnson's nail bending book and a few other resources, and I just ordered the beginner bending bag from Fat Bastard. Other than that, I am not really sure where to go as this area of training is pretty new to me. I would love any tips just getting started, especially since it will be a little while before I get my nails. Any suggestions about what to do in between?

THanks so much!

There is a bending subforum worth starting with here. If you are going to bend double overhand making sure your shoulders are nice and supple would be a good idea. 

• Like 1

Start off in small wraps, so IMP singles or single suedes if you have them. Strengthen your upper back and your entire upper body.

Drill rod was the best thing for me as it goes up alphabetically from A upwards. A drill rod to N drill rod will pretty much take you up to bastard level so working through that will help tremendously, especially on the crush.

• Like 2

I definitely need to get wraps, but I'm not sure where to find them. I've been doing a lot of heavy (3-5 RM) snatches, jerks, and highpulls, and overhead lockouts. Are there specific lifts I should be doing to help build my upper body more or in the right way for bending? Doing bench press lockouts was suggested to me by one person.

I started with suede, you can feel the bar a lot better than with ironmind pads (imps) and it is much more secure than new imps.

Suede cut to 4×12", check out a craft store or even a leather shammy from auto parts store.

Cold rolled 3/16 or hot rolled 1/4 round from Lowes or home depot, 3' pieces cut to 7", you'll get 5 bars per piece. You can get your feet wet for $15 or so with all that.

• Like 1