WHAT IS MEANT BY A "BRACED" REP?

Paul Markowski

I was watching a few YouTube vids today on "braced reps" on grippers.  In one of the videos, the guy braced the gripper by using his thumb from the free hand to push against the gripper handle in his palm.  Yet in another video, a guy braced the gripper by holding onto the coiled spring as he supposedly closed the HG 500.  Is there more than one way to "brace"?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it could be grip community jargon for something else, but to me it means to brace up against something like you would pushing up against anything. I use bracing to increase my range of motion on a gripper I can't close without bracing. I'll brace against my other hand, getting my chest involved, or push down on my quadricep with it while in a sitting position. I think it's great in helping build up strength during training on your way to being able to close a gripper without bracing.

The first instance that you mentioned (the thumb and finger pressing into palm) is just called 'setting' the gripper.  True 'bracing' is the second instance that you mentioned.  It can be used to keep the gripper from rotating in your hand and allow more of your force being applied to actually approximate the handles rather than being wasted on any rotational force. 

You ever try to close a gripper (left handed especially)  and your fingers are closed far enough but the handles still don't quite touch? It's because the gripper rotates in your hand. Holding the spring helps fix that.

If you hold the spring with your left hand and push your right hand against it whilst closing your hand, you are mostly closing the gripper using your entire upper body, not just your hand.

I wouldn't hold the spring while using the gripper, there's a reason it says you shouldn't do that in the instructions you get from Ironmind. The spring can snap...

You can put your finger on the handle, on the side you have the fingers, that will stabilize the gripper enough if you're just missing with a tiny bit. Or you can grab your wrist and stabilize it, or some other part of the arm.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Thanks to all you guys for your input.....I think I got it now.