Bastard cert attempt

JoshW

20160811_142621.jpg

So today I warmed up on some N drill rod and got it within a minute so thought I'd try my luck with this. Skip to the bend which starts at 5:45.

Just sent this off to Andrew hope it passes! Can clearly see at the end that it's within 2" :)

Shout out to David Wigren recently for pushing me with my training, specifically push press ;)

• Like 3

You can clearly see it might be 2" in the photo but not in the video. Nor can you clearly see its a 5/16" bar. 

Edited by EJ Livesey

Digital caliper and a wooden/metal/plastic ruler will be much better for cert vids. The sewing measuring tapes can be pulled or kinked to read something different. 

• Like 1

All a learning curve i guess, bit bummed though as it was my last bastard. Il definitely invest in a digital caliper.

Just need to maintain my bending strength till new stock arrives :p

I would add that you should look for a way to better secure the wraps when you're wrapping the bar.  I know some people use their feet and just "roll" the wrap tight, but in my experience, using two clamps or even a blob on top of the end of the wrap will allow for a much, much tighter wrap and usually a stronger bend.  

I know I can bend one now in under 5 mins so I just need to wait for more bastards if this one doesn't pass which I assume it probably won't:p

I do need to take more care wrapping for sure!

• Like 1

Nice attempt!  Get some more and go to work.  When I first started doing certs for Benders Battlefield, my documentation was very inconsistent.  Through a lot of trial-and-error and experimentation, I found a routine that worked, and never had any more issues.  Most importantly, I did the exact same process for every cert/big bend and it became automatic.

• Like 2

Thanks!

I think by the time I next get more bastards il be ready for the big bastard! Then may look at hex and shiny. Finally making progress with bending. Even if I don't get the cert it's a big personal achievement for me knowing I've bent it just shame i didn't film it properly! 

Cert or not the bastard was still bent. On to the big bastard! 

• Like 1

David, just ordered a bunch of bastards and big bastards for me to try!

Usually if I can bend something at 7" I can do the 6.5" too

• Like 1

Quick update:

Ordered 25 red nails and about 15 bastards ish a mix of 6.5 and 7" and also a digital caliper.

Steel is going down.

Going to work my way down the wraps with the red nail and eventually get it in singles

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck Josh!  Get after it bud & let us know how the cert goes!