THE "SET"

Paul Markowski

I find myself doing a great set of closing grippers when I "set" that gripper properly...however, when I do not get a good "set", I am off the charts as far as dysfunctional grip training goes!  

For instance, last week, I did a set of 10 with the COC #1.5....it was set properly so I was at my maximum efficiency....the following set, I could not set that gripper for the life of me!  I ended up doing ZERO reps!  

Was wondering how you all "set" the gripper so that every set is productive?

Thanks.

Setting is a skill so practice will help more than anything. My set is pretty inconsistent but it is getting better. The advice in the thread below is well thought out and helped me a lot. If you haven't gone through it I would definitely recommend doing so. 

Thanks Liam....great advice from that video....I knew that I would eventually find my own way of getting a great set but I like getting others opinions on the matter.

• Like 1

Just practice a lot. You can try re-setting the gripper on every rep to get more practice, so you're doing singles but with no rest between the reps. As you get tired you'll notice that your setting strength will diminish, that means you're getting a good workout in that movement as well as crushing.

When I start to lose strength, I do more of a "double set" where I set it, hold it partially closed with my crushing hand and back off with the setting hand, then set it further real quick and go right into the close. Hope that makes sense, give it a shot.

11 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Just practice a lot. You can try re-setting the gripper on every rep to get more practice, so you're doing singles but with no rest between the reps. As you get tired you'll notice that your setting strength will diminish, that means you're getting a good workout in that movement as well as crushing.

Fury:

I have at times (during a set) had to reset the gripper because I felt it going off course (so to speak)...so I know what you are saying in your post.  I figured that the "set" gets better with practice.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, wobbler said:

When I start to lose strength, I do more of a "double set" where I set it, hold it partially closed with my crushing hand and back off with the setting hand, then set it further real quick and go right into the close. Hope that makes sense, give it a shot.

Wobbler:

Makes perfect sense.. I will give that a shot!  Like with any strength training, variety is needed or else we all risk getting into a rut.  Thanks!