Who will win the Living Legends Contest?

richcottrell

Who will win the Living Legands Contest  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these guys would you put your money on?

• Andrew
    • Adam
    • Kody
    • Jedd
    • Juha
    • Mystery Guest

This poll is closed to new votes

On 8/11/2016 at 5:07 AM, The Mac said:

It is a little bit weird, isn't it?

1 hour ago, The Mac said:

That is one way of looking at it, I suppose...but I can't think of much else where such a thing would be allowed to ride.

Look, the Promoters don't need my "permission" and there's no reason at all they should care about my view above any other, but there - it has been said.

When I read your first post, I didn't read anything into it other than you found it odd.

Now that you have expounded some...I'd like to address this.

There has been multiple precedence of last minute entries in Gripsport...sometimes even an entry to Nationals the day of.  In this case, there is actually a warning that someone else is coming. Gripsport is still very new and makes every effort to be inclusive.  Such decisions are generally made by promoters considering that entry fee's "pretty much never" cover the cost of running a contest.  

Additionally, sponsors nearly always "sweeten the pot," enough so that contestants are actually vying for a much better value than the investment they make.

Gripsport is not a case where you are betting your money that you can beat competitors.  If that was the case...there would be no "Sport."  Who in there right mind would bet their hard earned money against any of these "Legends?"  Hmmm...me against Jedd and Kody?  I'll pass, thanks. :)

Entry fees are pretty much an effort to offset some of the cost of the contest.  Unless that dynamic changes, I'm not sure why someone would have a problem with the current system.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, anwnate said:

When I read your first post, I didn't read anything into it other than you found it odd.

There has been multiple precedence of last minute entries in Gripsport...sometimes even an entry to Nationals the day of.  In this case, there is actually a warning that someone else is coming. Gripsport is still very new and makes every effort to be inclusive.  Such decisions are generally made by promoters considering that entry fee's "pretty much never" cover the cost of running a contest.  

Additionally, sponsors nearly always "sweeten the pot," enough so that contestants are actually vying for a much better value than the investment they make.

Gripsport is not a case where you are betting your money that you can beat competitors.  If that was the case...there would be no "Sport."  Who in there right mind would bet their hard earned money against any of these "Legends?"  Hmmm...me against Jedd and Kody?  I'll pass, thanks. :)

Entry fees are pretty much an effort to offset some of the cost of the contest.  Unless that dynamic changes, I'm not sure why someone would have a problem with the current system.

I don't see any harm in it, it's sort of like a wild card in tennis.

Difficult to pick the winner, it feels like anyone can win. This will be epic for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Guys, it's interesting and fun.

Lighten up.

I do think it's interesting.  But it seems a bit pretentious of the competitor who wants to remain unnamed.  I may be interpreting it all wrong though.  Good thing it doesn't really matter how I interpret it, since I'm not a sponsor and not competing.   

Everyone traveling be safe. See you all in Wooster.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anwnate said:

I was going to leave this - as I said I found it weird and that was really about it - but I don't know that above actually addresses any concerns whatsoever.

Mystery competitors are not common in other sports (Wildcards are announced well before the event - no tennis player would ever stand one the service line wondering who was going to take their place at the other end of the court) and as for entries on the day of the National Championships...well, that's the decision of the National Body and Promoter, of course, but it's one I don't understand.

I've read a lot of talk on here lately about new ideas to put across the sport of Grip - surely knowing who the other "Legend" would be would generate a lot more buzz and interest, assuming they are worthy of the title?

As it is I am hoping the mystery competitor has the good grace to wear a Lucha Libre mask whilst competing,.. :)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Mac said:

As it is I am hoping the mystery competitor has the good grace to wear a Lucha Libre mask whilst competing,.. :)

Best thing I have read all day :laugh

If anyone showed up in a wrestling mask I would think it would  be Jedd...

• Like 1

For some reason I think Euclides be the mystery lifter, in the original thread he showed interest but complained of high price of implements, and has not been heard since.

14 hours ago, The Mac said:

That is one way of looking at it, I suppose...but I can't think of much else where such a thing would be allowed to ride.

Look, the Promoters don't need my "permission" and there's no reason at all they should care about my view above any other, but there - it has been said.

I believe you could sign up the day of the comp in most cases and wouldn't that be considered the same? The mystery guest obviously told someone he's coming but it's to his and the promoters discretion if his name is publicized. I have been to many arm wrestling tournaments and this has happened once or twice. It makes things interesting for some 😉

Yes everyone is welcome to join in the mornin if they can. 

Juha was warming up for the event with some Inch dumbbell lifts. 

The mystery guest was a fun thing. Our sport is young this thing is/was fun. We are still acting like grip family. Nothing too official here. Mystery guest was Aaron who closed a #4 and first and only to bend a big G8 in a comp. Besides many other world class feats.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

The mystery guest was a fun thing. Our sport is young this thing is/was fun. We are still acting like grip family. Nothing too official here. Mystery guest was Aaron who closed a #4 and first and only to bend a big G8 in a comp. Besides many other world class feats.

Holy heck!  Damn Aaron...Congrats!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Now that Legends already happened, can a admin lock this topic so that Poll Question can not change?

• Like 1

Just now, richcottrell said:

Now that Legends already happened, can a admin lock this topic so that Poll Question can not change?

Done.

• Like 1

thanks