Effectiveness of Holds

Paul Markowski

I've been doing holds for a while now....I like them a lot and believe they have helped my grip tremendously.

My question to you all is this:  If a person can "hold" a gripper shut with one hand (even if the shut was achieved through the use of both hands), does that most likely mean that you should be able to close the gripper full range?

All advice and comments are welcomed.  Thanks!

I don't think so. Static strength is higher than concentric strength and it's also built within certain RoM's. Might carry somewhat to like a 10mm close but outside of that the carryover would drop significantly. 

• Like 2

Ok...thanks...Makes lots of sense..

Close hard grippers and hold them closed for time can be effective, instead of doing reps. But you need to close them properly with one hand.

1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

Close hard grippers and hold them closed for time can be effective, instead of doing reps. But you need to close them properly with one hand.

Good points Fury.  I figured as much...my thinking was that if a person can physically hold a gripper shut, then they do indeed show the strength to Master that gripper and then should be able to close it with full range of motion.

Reality is the exact opposite of that, holding it shut is the starting point. Then close it in a choker, then narrow set, wide set, and TNS is when you've mastered it.

• Like 4

I've found holds to be fairly useful, but in all honesty strapholds for time have worked much better for me.

There was a time many moons ago when strapholds were very much in vogue. . . . but they seem to have faded into obscurity with the advent of gripper calibration, an expanded gripper universe, and the Silver Bullet.

They’re worth a try in your training program.

Dave

19 hours ago, wobbler said:

Reality is the exact opposite of that, holding it shut is the starting point. Then close it in a choker, then narrow set, wide set, and TNS is when you've mastered it.

Wobbler:

Makes sense....thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

I've found holds to be fairly useful, but in all honesty strapholds for time have worked much better for me.

There was a time many moons ago when strapholds were very much in vogue. . . . but they seem to have faded into obscurity with the advent of gripper calibration, an expanded gripper universe, and the Silver Bullet.

They’re worth a try in your training program.

Dave

Gripmaniac:

I assume you mean strap holds with a weight dangling from the bottom?

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 6:41 PM, Paul Markowski said:

Gripmaniac:

I assume you mean strap holds with a weight dangling from the bottom?

Yes.

5-10lbs  is all you'll need for decent tension on the strap.