Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

On 7/30/2016 at 7:55 AM, EJ Livesey said:

Yes

I have another question about turning down bolts. If I turn down a bolt and the diameter is exactly the same & the finish is smooth and even, basically a regular shaped bar made from g5 or 8, would that still be a danger of snapping? Strictly out of curiosity, if I turned down drill rod would that snap?

On the kink overhand, where do you put your shoulders? Shrugged up and back feels like I can get more tension, pushed forward and out wide feels like a better angle. Somewhere in between is how I seem to do it, but on something I can't quite kink yet, what should I lean towards?

Of a failed kink? I'll get one in the next few days. I have a video of a successful blue nail I can post later today.

Anything you can share.  I think it's hard for readers to understand issues benders have from descriptions only--videos make it much clearer much quicker.  

Blue nail in imps, I don't see anything obvious to work on other than figuring out transition to crush, but so far if I can kink then I can get it. Bent less than a dozen 1/4 bars so far so I feel pretty good about form. No chalk and not great wrapping, have to concentrate on my wrists not slipping.

I'll have to get a video exaggerating the shoulder position question trying to kink 1/4" hex. Barely got a wobble, but I'll keep at that same bar until it goes.

I couldn't see the whole frame of the video, but it looks like a good start.  Your elbows drop a bit once you get the bar moving, I'd watch that.  Also put your hands further out on the bar, if it feels comfortable and strong to do so.  You have what looks like a good 2" of the wraps hanging out the bottom of your first which = loss of leverage.  

• Like 1

Well, I bent the 1/4x7 hex with imps on top of suede, fairly easily, wraps further out on the bar, so thanks, unfortunately that didn't answer my question... :cool

Wrapped up 1/4×7 square and got stuck on the kink with shoulders up and back. Brought my shoulders forward and down, almost like flexing my lats, and was able to get my elbows out in front and got maybe 5* kink, so I think that does answer the question.

In an effort to have more consistency in hot rolled steel, has anyone ever tried heating up cold rolled to about 1000 degrees so it looses some of its rigidity?

Thanks, I've watched that a bunch of times, working on getting the bar higher but don't have as much power there, and dont know how to apply it, flexibility is an issue. Probably because my wraps are usually far in and because of that my wrists are straight off the bar instead of "pistol grip." With something I can't kink, I just end up bruising my thumb pads and beating up my index fingers.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful (I'm not, thanks for taking such a specific interest in helping ME bend), there are a lot of things im aware of that I could do to bend harder stuff right now, haven't even used chalk yet. But I want to get some of the finer details sorted out first, things that aren't discussed as often, like the shoulder thing. And I think that's more what this thread should be about.

Ok, speech over:D

You need to bruise and condition your hands! For example I took off a chunk of skin last night bending in small wraps, doesn't hurt now but if I was beginning it would have put me out for a few days lol

• Like 1

On August 15, 2016 at 0:17 PM, wobbler said:

Blue nail in imps, I don't see anything obvious to work on other than figuring out transition to crush, but so far if I can kink then I can get it. Bent less than a dozen 1/4 bars so far so I feel pretty good about form. No chalk and not great wrapping, have to concentrate on my wrists not slipping.

I'll have to get a video exaggerating the shoulder position question trying to kink 1/4" hex. Barely got a wobble, but I'll keep at that same bar until it goes.

How long have you been bending? Don't be in too much of a hurry to bend bigger stuff. Practice and practice at sub maximal loads. Experiment with different grips and shoulder positions. Each person is different. What works for some might not work for others. 

As far as your question with "shoulder positioning" goes it's a very tough question to answer. The shoulder is such a general term. It's like saying I hurt my leg. Is it knee, ankle, hip etc? But anyway try pinching your shoulder blades together at the beginning of a bend. As you unload force into the bar you can protract your shoulder blades forward.

Flexibility. Honestly unless you have a massive frame and your biceps and chest are huge you should be able to get into a decent kink position. My shoulder mobility is far from great. Watching your Blue nail bend video I noticed straight away on you kink you slightly roll your shoulder forward (you internally rotate the head of the humerus in the shoulder capsule). This will have an impact on shoulder mobility. Your wrists are also in a position that create a loss in leverage. See the picture below for your start position verse the picture of my start position. Look at the wrist, shoulder, elbow positions.. Really your wrist positioning for your kink is the major issue. 

a.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

For me this initial position is to allow the bar to get into the kink position passively or without tension. I can hold this position forever if I needed to. It's a relaxed position. My chest is pushed up, shoulder blades are pinched together and almost pulled down a little. Then right before I kink I create tension and roll my wrist and forearms back to a parallel position to explode into the bar. Picture below..

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

My chin tucks over the bar to help stabilize my neck and upper body. Notice the change in wrist, hand and forearm position between my two pictures? 

You obviously have some decent strength for I'm guessing someone pretty new into bending. A blue nail is a great bend. My advice is practice your technique and stop worrying so much about bending bigger bars. It'll happen really quick once your technique is dialed in. Lastly, my technique is far from perfect. I'm never happy with my technique. As a smaller guy I always felt like technique was something I needed to work constantly on to get better. I would suggest going through youtube and watching videos of different benders. Pay close attention to how they bring the bar up, how their shoulders are positioned etc. That helped me a lot. 

Edited by Sean Cashman
  • Like 8

Awesome Sean, that is exactly what I was asking. That blue nail was maybe the 10th 1/4" bar I've bent, so I am very new and definitely not in a rush to move up. But it seems like the best way to get a feel for the right form for kink at least is working on something near my limit, that's the only reason. I don't want to be muscling through stuff when I want to be learning.

The biggest take away from your post is for me to get into position with shoulder blades squeezed together, then move apart and forward as I start to apply force. Starting wrist position is a big one too, but I had the wraps and my hands so far on the bar it wasn't an option.

I'm 5'10 175 lbs so just an averaged size guy. Thanks again, great info.

Sean is not only strong,  but a very technical bender.  He's competently dissected the DO bend and I've only imperfectly emulated him. One can't go wrong applying his advice. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Posting this here because I think you can see me taking all the advice, wrist position, elbows not too high, shoulders moving correctly. Also note the kink went from not happening to fairly easy when I moved my index fingers to where the bar was against the first knuckle toward the fingertip. Hope this helps some people out.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna post this here too since I've kinda hijacked the thread already. Been trying to implement advice, work on form, hand placement, pushing hard into the bar, etc. with 1/4×7 hex in imps. Tried to bend it almost every day for a week, stuck at 10-15*. Finally got it, then wrapped up another and this is the video of the second.

I just can't kink too high and under the chin with wrists pointed up and out. I think my lats are a lot stronger than my chest and shoulders so lower on the chest works for me. I hit that first one probaby 30 times over a week before I got it. This one went down pretty easy.

So the most important advice I saw was "it's just steel, shut up and bend it." I was way over thinking it. I like the hex a lot too because you can twist the wraps super tight.

I've never felt like I needed to tuck under my chin for stability, and it looks like I kink better with my thumbs further from my body rather than closer, like swinging the pinky side of my hand up and out instead of starting high, moving down and forward. Maybe flexibilty, maybe lat strength, maybe my wrists are stronger in that direction. I don't even think I pushed the ends together much at all.

Anyway, this was a harder bend than the previous 1/4×7 round video in this thread where I was struggling and it took 3 shots to kink. Would love to hear what anybody thinks of all this, as a pretty green bender I think this could help other people new to bending.

Felt way better too, but looks very different from Sean's. I can get my shoulders there, but then can't do anything with it. I'm still bringing the bar up as I kink, and I haven't seen that in anyone else's videos. My question  really, is this typical, does that last video look normal? If so, great, if not, will I get stuck at a certain level I can muscle through but can't move past?

And on a possibly related note, I suck at underhand, can't budge a blue nail. My underhand is no better than reverse, both about a yellow nail level.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone mind if I jump in here?

What do you guys do with your bent nails? Just throw them away? Display them somehow? Leave them littered on the floor of your home gym to step on?

I've been keeping mine in a small box more out of convenience than anything else, but the box is getting full!

1 hour ago, crushonomics said:

Does anyone mind if I jump in here?

What do you guys do with your bent nails? Just throw them away? Display them somehow? Leave them littered on the floor of your home gym to step on?

I've been keeping mine in a small box more out of convenience than anything else, but the box is getting full!

Bend them back and forth until the bar/ nail snaps. Gives you a great workout.

• Like 3

^what Don said.  Others have also kept them in a jar and done some extensor and hub work lifting them up.  The more you bend the more progressive the resistance.  

• Like 1

You can fill an old keg or barrel with them for all kinds of odd object lifting. Hearing protection recommended.

They can be mixed into concrete. Use your imagination.

And yes you can make all sorts of things out of them.

0919171803.jpg

0814171954a.jpg

• Like 6