Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

4 hours ago, Liam Trott said:

Thank you EJ Livesey! One more question, what dimensions would you recommend for pads? I am going to buy some leather from a craft store but am unsure what length and width I should get.

Everyone uses 4" wide by 12" -14" long for short steel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fisher 47 said:

I've been bending for a little over a year, so I'm not totally new, but this thread seemed like the place to ask these.

What would be an elite bend that needs video proof to avoid the topic being locked?

Has anyone tried making their own 9/32" (or any size) round stock from 5/16" using an angle grinder or a lathe if you can't find 9/32" to buy locally?

Where can I find pictures of Eric's calibrating device to make something similar for myself?

Elite bend- anything red nail and beyond needs proof. 

You can find 9/32 steel at toolanddie.com. It's drill rod tho. 

Pics of his calibration device doesn't exist. But it easy to make. 

Typical wrap diameter? I've been using thin suede that's about 3/4" diameter on a 1/4" bar.

1 hour ago, wobbler said:

Typical wrap diameter? I've been using thin suede that's about 3/4" diameter on a 1/4" bar.

well it really depends on your goals.  

Mostly in it for the finger and wrist strength, so I think I'll stay small on wraps. What do IMPs usually come out to on the diameter?

15 hours ago, Liam Trott said:

I haven't done any bending yet but want to get into it. I have small hands and wrists so would like to start with some easy stock and get my wrists used to the work and get my technique down. I have read several posts, articles and had a look in my local hardware stores and still am very unsure what to buy for bending. My local hardware stores have very little stuff available and while I could probably guess what I can bend and what I can't I want to ask for advice here.

Are there any online stores based in Europe where I can buy lengths of steel and cut to length at home? I live in Italy so any store that sells in Euros and ships there would be great. Could someone more experienced also advise what steel I should start with? Again, I have read several starter posts and descriptions of different stock but I don't really understand the different grades and can't find any online stores based in Europe. It feels a bit like I am asking to be spoon fed but I can't workout where I should start after reading all the intro stuff.

Search for a local steel supplier, there must be a lot in italy and ask for cold rolled steel: EN 10025 S235JR in the following diameters: 5, 6, 7 & 8mm. 

The normal length in europe for this kind of steel at a supplier is 6m. But you can ask for 1m pcs. Then cut them to 7" (177mm) and go for it... 

The 8mm is a little bit harder than a red nail in my opinion.  

• Like 2

Thanks Horrido! I will try and track one down. If I can't find one locally I will just get some in the UK when I am home next month.

3 hours ago, Horrido said:

Then cut them to 7" (177mm) and go for it...

Would you advise using progressively shorter lengths before jumping onto the next thickness? I.e. with the 5mm bar using 7" then 6.5", 6", etc or just sticking with 7" lengths?

you can cut them down to make the thin bars harder to bend, but if your goal is the red nail, I would only bend 7" bars to become most comfortable with this length. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Horrido! Another question, how many bars is generally a good idea to bend in a session? And how many sessions should I aim for a month? I haven't found a great deal of information on how much to bend. The technique and how to wrap is quite clear but what volume and accessory work I should be hitting isn't really.

It's hard to give a routine because it's very individual from person to person.  

It depends on your other training and goals, on your skin, muscles, tendons, bones, pain tolerance and your regeneration on your hand. 

Some bend every day, some only twice a week... 

Try to find the best way for you and hear to your body signals. 

• Like 3

Thanks Horrido! You have been very helpful. I do quite a lot between climbing and grip stuff so I will start with one session a week and go from there.

On 7/24/2016 at 1:39 PM, EJ Livesey said:

Elite bend- anything red nail and beyond needs proof. 

You can find 9/32 steel at toolanddie.com. It's drill rod tho. 

Pics of his calibration device doesn't exist. But it easy to make. 

Thanks, my best bend is grade 8 6x1/4" I don't think it's elite but I wouldn't want a thread to get locked when I don't have the ability to show a video. I know about the websites with drill rod, there just expensive imo, I can get 5/16" crs for about $0.30 a foot, and I got a lathe yesterday so I can make micro jumps. Anyone ever do that with grade 5 or 8 bolts?

10 hours ago, Fisher 47 said:

Thanks, my best bend is grade 8 6x1/4" I don't think it's elite but I wouldn't want a thread to get locked when I don't have the ability to show a video. I know about the websites with drill rod, there just expensive imo, I can get 5/16" crs for about $0.30 a foot, and I got a lathe yesterday so I can make micro jumps. Anyone ever do that with grade 5 or 8 bolts?

Do not lathe down bolts. Only lathe down CRS, hrs or SS. But don't lathe down bolts. 

1 hour ago, EJ Livesey said:

Do not lathe down bolts. Only lathe down CRS, hrs or SS. But don't lathe down bolts. 

OK I won't, thanks. I am curious though, is that because the heat treatment on the bolts, will turning them down cause them to snap?

18 minutes ago, Fisher 47 said:

OK I won't, thanks. I am curious though, is that because the heat treatment on the bolts, will turning them down cause them to snap?

Yes

It looks like an interesting accessory for bending. I was wondering what some of the more experienced benders who have used it thought about it.

It got me up to reversing 6" grade 5 bolts 

To get good at reversing steel it's better to get a feel for actual steel especially with the long hits

• Like 1

Over the last 6 weeks or so I developed a burning sensation and dull pain in my right hand, in between the index and middle knuckles. In the picture I marked my hand with an X.

So I initially just thought it was soreness from some bending. Then it started to hurt when closing grippers. So I took 4 weeks off from bending and closing grippers right handed.  Still not better.

I saw a hand Dr and physical therapist. They think that I have strained the sagittal bands or possibly my extensor, but they dont know for sure. So I am to wear a brace for 3 weeks to allow this area rest and not flex.

Has this happened to anyone else? The Dr and therapist have never seen a steel bender or dedicated gripster, so they have no idea if I will be able to return to full volume. Has anyone injured this and came back from it, or does this linger like some other tendon and soft tissue injuries?

The pain is not bad, and I could probably train though it but I don't want a permanent injury. If I rupture the sagittal band it will require surgery.

1470841659528-1251124945.jpg

I had pain there for over a year, it was most noticeable with a crimp style grip (fingertips flat against palm.) Dull burn, sometimes sharp pain with heavier grippers right after a set. Dexterity balls and super cissus cleared it up in about 2 months. Light grippers only, if at all. Slow crimp style squeezes of an easy stress ball. Let your other hand catch up in grippers.

Didn't use it at the time, but dmso has helped me with other nagging stuff since then.

• Like 1

Search on here for more info on dmso.

I also just remembered, look into "adhesions." Roll a highlighter on the top and sides of your fingers with light pressure. If you feel little hard lumps on one hand but not the other, thats probably what they are. I had some in that same area, rolling them every other day helped reduce the apparent size after a few weeks. I think that also helped get rid of the pain.