Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

6 hours ago, KRC said:

What is the long yellow one?

It is a section of a cheap welding apron that I hustled while traveling for work. I use them for bending spikes.

• Like 1

I'm a big proponent of using different sized wraps (and kinds) to work your way to a goal bend...as opposed to strictly using different diameter steel.

My daughter sewed sets of I.M.P's to different lengths.  I have 2's, 1 2/3's, 1 1/2's, 1 1/3's, Single's, 2/3's and 1/2's.

I've also got a number of BBW's, BGW's and leather and suede.

I do have big plans to use them in the future...but at the moment, I've got some health issues to square up.

The second pic is probably shows the average condition of my wraps.  

I don't tend to use them until they are tatters (Only 258lbs of pure man AKA EJ can do that). ;)

20160220_231631.jpg

20160220_231729.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, anwnate said:

I'm a big proponent of using different sized wraps (and kinds) to work your way to a goal bend...as opposed to strictly using different diameter steel.

My daughter sewed sets of I.M.P's to different lengths.  I have 2's, 1 2/3's, 1 1/2's, 1 1/3's, Single's, 2/3's and 1/2's.

I've also got a number of BBW's, BGW's and leather and suede.

What are BGW's?

Also I am super envious of your sweet set up.

• Like 1

BGW= big green wraps. They're wraps Nate made from green cordura that are like very long ironmind wraps, maybe equivalent to 1.5 ironmind wraps

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've only ever owned DHWOG-suede's, and, this in the picture (from yesterdays training) is I think either the first or second pair I ever bought... I can't really say for sure as I know I gave either the first or second pair I ever had to a friend I got to know thru grip-training and he wanted to get in to bending, so, I was of course very willing to help... :D Unfortunately for me he now lives in Germany (Köln) so I rarely get to meet up with him anymore... Also, his ironmind-wraps (yes, of course he got hooked at bending :D ) are the only IMwraps I've ever tried, like, maybe 3times? so, I only have experience with DHWOGsuedes, and, basically all my training ever (even before my hiatus of bending) has been done in those kinds of wraps touching and almost always reverse-style...

I have a bunch of these wraps, two pairs on my two WD's (WD1 and WD2) also I have some brand new ones lying around which haven't even gotten to be wrapped around any steel...yet that is!!! :D

I always wanted to buy a pair of corduras from Benders Battlefield, but, either I fell off the bending or the BB-board died (dunno which happened first though, can't remember) before that ever happened...

I used these old ones yesterday, really like them, turned them around yesterday, so, the chalky areas used to be the "outside" (hence the chalk) of my wrapping so that my hands would grab there, but, now they end up at the center instead... more even way to wear them out with the bolt-heads and such...

IMG_2211.JPG

Edited by Peter Brannstrom
  • Like 1

If you're talking about the black "BBW" wraps formerly available on the battlefield, last I knew they are still available through FBBC.  They also have their leather wraps available. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KRC said:

If you're talking about the black "BBW" wraps formerly available on the battlefield, last I knew they are still available through FBBC.  They also have their leather wraps available. 

Ah! I see!!!
Thanks for the heads up!
I am guessing the black ones is what I was referring to, as it was me wanting a pair of corduras back then (but wanting to support BB instead of ironmind) and if memory serves right they had black ones made from cordura.

• 1 month later...

Hello there , so i am 15 years old now i train about 1 month and i bend 6.2 inch (16 cm) long 5/16 (8mm) thick 4.8 grade bolt and 7 inch (17cm ) long and 5/16 thick CRS bar do you think its good way to bend red nail ? :-)       Sorry for my bad english i still learning :-)          thanks for any response :-) 

Fotografie1015.jpg

Fotografie1017.jpg

Fotografie1020.jpg

Fotografie1023.jpg

I don't know anything about that bolt, but did it feel harder than the 5/16 CRS?  If so, you can probably bend a red right now or in a matter of days/weeks.  That's assuming the CRS actually was CRS and not HRS.    

Thanks for reply the bolt wasn't harder than CRS bar i think in america this bolt its 2 grade we have different grading the softer there its probably 4.8 and harder its 12.9 :-) 

Your best bet is to stick with 7" bars and only use ironmind pads. Irongrip Russia has tons of calibrated steel that will get you to red nail level. 

• Like 2

Thanks i will take a look :)

• 4 weeks later...

Over 95% of my bending is drill rod, and after repeated terrible customer service experiences with Grainger, I'm looking elsewhere.  Precision Marshall makes extremely high quality bars, but after speaking to them yesterday, they only sell to distributors, so I have an order placed with McMaster Carr.  Fastenal was out of just about everything when I looked, and beyond that I don't know of any other major sources.  Flat-stock.com maybe?  Their website was borderline unintelligible though.  

Where else do you guys go?  Are McMaster and Grainger the only two real options?

I've bought a ton of stuff from Fastenal and have had good experiences with them.  

• Like 2

How's shipping cost from McMaster (approx % of order cost if you just buy rod?) What's the most economical length including shipping, 3ft?

They haven't quoted me yet on the actual shipping, but I'll update the thread when I get it. 

Multiples of 3ft is close to perfect for 7" bars; you get 5 bars and about an inch leftover.

Thanks guys for your responses.