Noob Bending Amnesty Question Thread (lots of merged threads)

Briso

Hi Guys

I've used the IMP 101 video as my guide for wrapping my nails and have been using this for last 6 months.

I bend almost entirely with IM wraps, which I really like.

However, I notice that no matter how hard I try to smooth out the creases, some creases still occur when I wrap

Over time this has resulted in permanent creases in the wraps.

On occasion I've handwashed and then let the wraps dry to get these out of them.

Just curious if anyone else has this issue and whether these creases are in any way affecting the ability to get a good tight wrap and transfer force to the nail?

Would also be interested in hearing what everyone does when their wraps crease up like this!

Thanks

Brian

Edited by EJ Livesey

I wouldn't worry too much about the wraps creasing. After a few sessions, most of my IMPs begin showing signs of wear, and several holes. No matter how hard I try to keep a symmetrical wrap, it never works out like that in the end. Not really that big of deal, IMO. Just have several pair of wraps in rotation. Chalk them well and get them as tight as possible, the best you can.

• Like 2

It's the same for me.

I just try to wrap them hard without them folding up too bad and making the wrap loose.

I have no answer on the creases, I ignore the creases in mine.

• Like 1

It will never be perfect. For me I tried to pay the most attention to aligning the nail side of the wrap and keeping it even. A firm crease will actually allow this to be possible.

The uneven flairing is fine on the other end, but I wanted the wraps as tight and even against the steel as possible.

Like Carl said, you need a few pairs in rotation. Personally, I trained with 3 different pairs of progressively broken in wraps as a form of microloading. When I could bend a piece of steel in my crappiest wraps, I knew I could destroy it in my newer, stiffer wraps, which gave me at least 10# more on the kink.

Everybody is different though, I think EJ likes the softest wrap possible so he can feel the steel.

Good for you for mainly bending in IMP's. It will shorten your journey.

Post some videos. The best benders in the world will give you notes.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 3

It will never be perfect. For me I tried to pay the most attention to aligning the nail side of the wrap and keeping it even. A firm crease will actually allow this to be possible.

The uneven flairing is fine on the other end, but I wanted the wraps as tight and even against the steel as possible.

Like Carl said, you need a few pairs in rotation. Personally, I trained with 3 different pairs of progressively broken in wraps as a form of microloading. When I could bend a piece of steel in my crappiest wraps, I knew I could destroy it in my newer, stiffer wraps, which gave me at least 10# more on the kink.

Everybody is different though, I think EJ likes the softest wrap possible so he can feel the steel.

funny, i've actually never tried hard bends with newer, stiffer wraps. mine have always been "soft." thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 2

funny, i've actually never tried hard bends with newer, stiffer wraps. mine have always been "soft." thanks for the recommendation.

definitely. i wasn't that strong, so I had to be smart. micro loading bars allowed me to wiggle my way up the difficulty scale and got me over several plateaus. I also had IMP's that were 2/3 of the wrap to make it even harder, and a small leather insert (like 2" x 2" of very thin suede) that I would roll into the end the IMP's to give me just a little bit more horsepower on the kink. between the spectrum of 4 or 5 sets of wraps I used there was a range of at least 40# - all without much change in the actual size or hand position of the wrap - which is crucial when dealing with the uber technical kink.

when I bent a Red Nail in the 2/3 wraps, I knew I was ready for the cert.

i also had a pair of what I considered to be my "comp" wraps. I broke the IMP's in to where I thought they were perfect, then I only used them for certs. I think I gave them to Jose when I left NYC.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 1

When I first started, I cared about things like that.

Over time, with increased volume...I realized I was too freaking lazy to worry about it.

In fact, I stopped rewrapping with each nail entirely. I'd wait til it got ridiculously loose to rewrap.

Loose wraps are more dangerous sure (ask anyone who has hit themselves in the face)...but they also make you grip tighter (which helps in the long run).

Basically, unless you are doing a max bend, I wouldn't stress over it.

Even then, having perfect wraps is probably more of a mental thing.

• Like 2

Loose, torn, taddered, holy, bunched and wrinkled are the best wraps. I hate, absolutely hate new fresh stiff wraps. I have no idea how you guys bend in them.

• Like 3

Hi guys

Thanks very much for all the responses.

Really appreciate it. :-)

I washed the wraps today which removed the creases and then gave them a real good coating of chalk

The wraps are very flat and soft due to usage, so they wrap really easily, it was just the odd crease I was worrying about.

But sound like that is very typical!

Thanks

Brian

post-24056-0-79918700-1451497081_thumb.j

Damn that's A LOT of chalk!!

• Like 1

They won't have that much chalk on them when I use them EJ, that photo was taken immediately after I coated them using a block of chalk.

Just similar to what's done in the IMP 101 video that Tommy did a while back.

Once they are shook down a bit they won't look as chalky! :-)

They won't have that much chalk on them when I use them EJ, that photo was taken immediately after I coated them using a block of chalk.

Just similar to what's done in the IMP 101 video that Tommy did a while back.

Once they are shook down a bit they won't look as chalky! :-)

That's pretty much how my wraps look after every session. After I'm done bending, I smooth out all the creases, and run a chalk block up and down the front and back of the wraps. Then I place them under about 250 lbs in weight plates until the next time I bend (keeps them flat and perfect for when I need them again).

Probably overkill but anyone who has bent with me knows I'm very meticulous about my process. I think Nate got irritated with me because I wrapped up a yellow nail like it was a cert bar at his house :D

• Like 2

I hardly ever chalk my wraps and if I do it's the first two inches or so. Anything more I really think is over kill. From the five or so years I've been bending in them, they are seasoned pretty nice for me.

6D4D7490-52E4-4067-9321-62EDCC3E91E4.jpg

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 5

I hardly ever chalk my wraps and if I do it's the first two inches or so. Anything more I really think is over kill. From the five or so years I've been bending in them, they are seasoned pretty nice for me.

I think mine look fairly similar. As do my favorite leather wraps from when I was still bending. The wraps getting chewed up and beat to hell is part of bending big stuff. Better them than your skin.

- Aaron

• Like 2

That's pretty much how my wraps look after every session. After I'm done bending, I smooth out all the creases, and run a chalk block up and down the front and back of the wraps. Then I place them under about 250 lbs in weight plates until the next time I bend (keeps them flat and perfect for when I need them again).

Probably overkill but anyone who has bent with me knows I'm very meticulous about my process. I think Nate got irritated with me because I wrapped up a yellow nail like it was a cert bar at his house :D

LOL. Yeah...well it's all about perspective I guess.

As I alluded to in my previous post...a lot of our rituals are mental. Some of the best free throw shooters in the world do the same exact thing every time they come up to shoot. If this is going to put you in the right state of mind to destroy a bar...have at it.

On the other hand, eventually you will come across the bar that will defeat you (momentarily anyway), ritual or not.

As far as a yellow nail goes...well, women and children are allowed to chalk the crap out of it...only. ;) lol

• Like 3

Ha...it looks like you haven't even been using those "P's" to warm up.

Tis okay...I know you will eventually find a good home for them. I respect the hell out of the way you help upcoming benders out.

• Like 1

Nate I've been using those Ps here and there. Trust me they aren't going to waste. Funny you say that about the new guys, I recently sent out a couple care packages to some pretty good benders. I've been trying to get them to post on here.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Does such a thing exist - Like using a vulcan gripper upside down and trying to pull the handles apart where the spring gets stronger the further you pull ?

There has been a few prototypes but nothing really out there that you can buy right now.

• Like 2

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=6766

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?app=galleryℑ=9822 try use two spike ... For example 9.5 mm x300 mm ....it is chipper than horseshoe ....

Edited by pawel r
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow benders!

Ive been bending for about 10 months now and have been recently bending red nails.

I'm hoping to certify on the red very soon and have decided to break in a couple of new ironmind pads.

However it got me thinking if my current (old) wraps are really beyond their best. I've attached some photos of these and would be curious as to how other benders current wraps compare.

I don't train with anyone else so have no real point of comparison!

Perhaps other benders could post their own photos of their wraps? 

Look forward to seeing everyone's versions!!!!!!

Brian 

received_10207577693776965.jpeg

received_10207577695377005.jpeg

I actually kind of like using them like this. It seems like it's a lot easier to wrap up a bolt head with it at this point.

• Like 2

That looks pretty typical of worn-in wraps.  I've had a ton of wraps that looked similar to that, and much worse, but found that having a constant rotation of newer wraps worked best for me.  I also kept two pair specifically for Ironmind stock, as the Reds tended to kill my IMPs, and would rotate them out as needed.   With the FBBC stock, drill rod, and pre-cut CRS, my wraps lasted a lot longer.

• Like 1