King Kong Exceptional Lifter Award

Andrew P

I'm announcing a new Category and award for King Kong. The Exceptional Lifter Award. This award will be calculated by Percentage based scoring against all lifters in all weight classes. The percentage score will then be put against the following multiplier depending on the lifters weight class. 

Final Score offset    
Class    Multiplier
59    2.302
66    1.697
74    1.411
83    1.298
93    1.126
105    1.104
120    1.104
120+    1.104

So if Lifter A is in the 105kg Class and scores 370pts his final score is 408.

And if a 83kg class lifter scores the same 370pts his final score will be 480.

Math Junk

For those wondering how I came up with the equation I took the top 3 scores and averaged them against the world record for the event. I did this for the following 6 events. 1 hand pinch, 2 hand pinch, DO Axle Deadlift, 2.5" Crusher, Shallow Hub and 2" Vertical Bar. Those 6 where averaged into a final weight class modifier. The only thing I did to modify the score was flatten the multiplier for the 120 and 120+ class as our data peaks at the 105kg class on average. These numbers will be updated every year as more and better data is available. 

• Like 6

I commend you for coming up with a accommodating solution to an deficit.

• Like 1

We need more things like this.

:rock

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Very cool Andrew,

This is almost like the best lifter formula in power lifting where they use the Wilkes formula coefficient of your body weight so pound for pound you know who is the strongest.

Same idea.

But the wilks didn't make much sense when I ran the 2015 Kong scores through it. Our sports unique that the peaks around 105 rather than the super heavies. 

• Like 1

I don't mean this to be a criticism, as I quite like the idea, but out of curiosity, is there some reason you can't simply calculate the ratio of total to BW per lifter? Too time consuming or something?

No that's super easy but when run through the math the results just don't make a lot of sense. With a straight ratio the lifts become less of an factor to having a lighter bodyweight. Lets say a 53kg class lifter makes an average 100 pound pull on a crusher. To get the same score as a 120+ lifter he would have to get a 226 pull that's over the world record for the event. 

10 hours ago, avasatu said:

I don't mean this to be a criticism, as I quite like the idea, but out of curiosity, is there some reason you can't simply calculate the ratio of total to BW per lifter? Too time consuming or something?

That would always greatly favor the lighter people. There is a reason why the best body weight ratio lifters are almost always from the lighter classes. 

Well, the heavier people already have an advantage when it comes to winning the overall contest. Is it wrong to give lighter people an advantage in another aspect of the competition?

• Like 1